Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:36
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Jun 17, 2010

G'day everyone

I have 25 TBX files with a lot of useful stuff in them. I'd like to convert it to CSV so that I can merge it all, sort it, and remove duplicate entries, to come up with a final, useful glossary. Does anyone know of a tool that can convert TBX to CSV (preferably in bulk)? Or... a tool that can merge TBX files?

Thanks
Samuel

Spiros Doikas
Spiros Doikas  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:36
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
Maybe this Jun 17, 2010

http://sourceforge.net/projects/tbxutil/

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:36
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Across imports and exports CSV + TBX. Jun 17, 2010

Samuel,

Have you tried playing around with Across (Personal Edition)?

Imports: CSV, Langenscheidt, MultiTerm, Star Transit, TBX
Exports: CSV, TBX

You can use the import/export filters to do pretty much anything you want to and from CSV-TBX.

http://www.my-across.net/en/index.aspx

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
Converting TBX 2 CSV Jun 18, 2010

Samuel Murray wrote:

G'day everyone

I have 25 TBX files with a lot of useful stuff in them. I'd like to convert it to CSV so that I can merge it all, sort it, and remove duplicate entries, to come up with a final, useful glossary. Does anyone know of a tool that can convert TBX to CSV (preferably in bulk)? Or... a tool that can merge TBX files?

Thanks
Samuel

Hi, Samuel:

You did not though to use APSIC Xbench? So far I know, in the latest editions you may import a glossary in TBX format and then save it as tabbed text file. But, I have not checked...

Good luck!
Pablo B.

[Editado a las 2010-06-18 04:50 GMT]

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Only TBXcheck Jun 18, 2010

This project only offers a tbxCHECK tool, which does not imply any ability to import or export.

Samuel, I can't make any promises, but if you're interested in extracting just the source and translation from these files, I might be able to write an XSLT transformation for you, if you send me just one TBX file. E-mail me at syntax[{@}]neo.pl

Regards,

Piotr

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Xbench Jun 18, 2010

Xbench should also be able to do this, provided that you only need the source and target terms from the glossaries, no other fields. If you already have it installed, give it a shot. (Xbench can import pretty much anything, including TBX, and can and export in tab delimited format which is trivial to convert to csv or whatever you want to).

I think could also throw together a converter script pretty easily if it came to it, I'd just need to modify the script I already have for Multi
... See more
Xbench should also be able to do this, provided that you only need the source and target terms from the glossaries, no other fields. If you already have it installed, give it a shot. (Xbench can import pretty much anything, including TBX, and can and export in tab delimited format which is trivial to convert to csv or whatever you want to).

I think could also throw together a converter script pretty easily if it came to it, I'd just need to modify the script I already have for MultiTerm exports, which are also XML.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
On APSIC Xbench Jun 18, 2010

Pablo Bouvier wrote:
You did not though to use APSIC Xbench? So far I know, in the latest editions you may import a glossary in TBX format and then save it as tabbed text file.

I've just tried it, and it works, if you hack the TBX file a bit.

XBench does not accept TBX files with single quotes. You have to change all single quotes to double quotes first. In other words, you have to change <martif type='TBX' xml:lang='en'> into >martif type="TBX" xml:lang="en"> etc.

To import a TBX file, simply create a few project, and you'll be prompted to add glossary files. The file extension that XBench expects TBX to have is "xml", but it does allow you to select "All files". To export the tab-delimited file, go Tools > Export Items.

Unfortunately you can export only one TBX file at a time. And *unfortunately* Xbench does not retain the term definitions in the exported file.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
On Across Jun 18, 2010

Michael J.W. Beijer wrote:
Have you tried playing around with Across (Personal Edition)?
Imports: CSV, Langenscheidt, MultiTerm, Star Transit, TBX
Exports: CSV, TBX

Luckily I do have Across installed on my computer. But... it tells me my TBX files are an invalid format, with no clue as to what may be so invalid about it. At least Xbench gave me a traceable error message that enabled me to find out what the program wanted. Across just says "invalid format".

Pablo Bouvier
German to Spanish
+ ...
Converting TBX 2 CSV Jun 18, 2010

Samuel Murray wrote:

Pablo Bouvier wrote:
You did not though to use APSIC Xbench? So far I know, in the latest editions you may import a glossary in TBX format and then save it as tabbed text file.

XBench does not accept TBX files with single quotes. You have to change all single quotes to double quotes first. In other words, you have to change into >martif type="TBX" xml:lang="en"> etc.

To import a TBX file, simply create a few project, and you'll be prompted to add glossary files. The file extension that XBench expects TBX to have is "xml", but it does allow you to select "All files". To export the tab-delimited file, go Tools > Export Items.

Unfortunately you can export only one TBX file at a time. And *unfortunately* Xbench does not retain the term definitions in the exported file.

May be it is worth to write a line to Apsic on this behalf. I did it at the very beginning for an issue related to the Apsic Comparator utility and in the next version it had been fixed.

In my experience, they listen to you even if you are not related in any manner with them, and are kind enough to send a short answer. If I had to assign them a rating, this would be: effective...

Many thanks for the feedback about Xbench & Across.

[Editado a las 2010-06-18 17:38 GMT]

Daniel García
Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Import into MultiTerm and export to CSV? Jun 18, 2010

I haven't had to do it but if you have MultiTerm you might try importing into MultiTerm and then exporting from it using a tool called "Excelling MultiTerm" (http://www.experttools.at/index_new.php?mmid=6)

It's a third-party tool which claims to be able to make good CSV exports from MultiTerm keeping the columns in the right place.

Daniel

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
On APSIC Xbench II Jun 21, 2010

Samuel Murray wrote:
Pablo Bouvier wrote:

Sergei of Xbench contacted me privately about the problem, and fixed it in the latest development version. Also, the fixed version of Xbench contains "tbx" in the file-open list, and (I'm not sure if this was so in the previous version) one can import many TBX files and then export the whole lot in one go into a single file, if you want.

1. In Xbench, go Project > Properties.
2. Click Add and select TBX.
3. Click Next, select your TBX files, and OK.
4. Click Next twice, then select your languages, and click OK.
5. Click OK to close the Project Properties dialog.

Then:
1. In Xbench, go Tools > Export Items.
2. Select "All items", choose "Tabbed Text file", and browse for a target file name.
3. Click OK.

You can export to tabbed text or to TMX. You can import (or "add", rather) a whole lot of file types, including glossary and TM formats.

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Thanks Jun 21, 2010

Samuel Murray wrote:

Samuel Murray wrote:
Pablo Bouvier wrote:

Sergei of Xbench contacted me privately about the problem, and fixed it in the latest development version. Also, the fixed version of Xbench contains "tbx" in the file-open list, and (I'm not sure if this was so in the previous version) one can import many TBX files and then export the whole lot in one go into a single file, if you want.

Then:
2. Select "All items", choose "Tabbed Text file", and browse for a target file name.
3. Click OK.

You can export to tabbed text or to TMX. You can import (or "add", rather) a whole lot of file types, including glossary and TM formats.

... for reporting back. Much appreciated. Too many people around here ask for help and then disappear without doing the decent thing and letting everyone (esp. people with the same problem who find the thread later) know which suggested solution worked for them - and exactly how.

Pablo Bouvier
German to Spanish
+ ...
Betterr late than never... Jul 19, 2010

Samuel Murray wrote:

Samuel Murray wrote:
Pablo Bouvier wrote:

Then:
3. Click OK.

Great!! Samuel, thanks a lot for the feedback, even late.

Ricardo Robina
Ricardo Robina  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 17:36
Member (2012)
English to Spanish
+ ...
And even later still Aug 15, 2011

I just downloaded the Microsoft Glossary in tbx and was going crazy over how to open it. So I gave it a shot and opened it in Excel. It was awkward the first time, but the important thing is it worked, and after saving as Excel file it's converted well. I don't know if it's supposed to look like that -a bit odd- but it's functional.

elishevah
elishevah
Local time: 02:36
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Opened in Excel Oct 6, 2011

Hi. I just opened a MS glossary with TBX extension in MS-Excel 2003. No problems.
Elisheva Hershler
Technical Translator

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Converting TBX 2 CSV

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »