Thread poster: jblosser
jblosser
jblosser  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:20
Italian to English
Aug 15, 2011

I'm at my wits end and don't know where else to turn

I have a 66,000 word document in Word format which I am assuming was converted from the original pdf (but I'm not sure). The problem is that when I open it in Trados (both 2009 and 2007) I get a tag between almost every single word in the document. I can obviously copy all of the text to the Windows notepad and then back into Word to kill the formatting, but that me
... See more
I'm at my wits end and don't know where else to turn

I have a 66,000 word document in Word format which I am assuming was converted from the original pdf (but I'm not sure). The problem is that when I open it in Trados (both 2009 and 2007) I get a tag between almost every single word in the document. I can obviously copy all of the text to the Windows notepad and then back into Word to kill the formatting, but that means messing up a lot of other things too (paging, paragraph formatting, text which needs to match up to images in the document, etc.).

This is a sample of what the entire document looks like in SDL Trados Studio 2009:

LEGGE >cf size="14" position="0.5"> DI >cf size="14" position="0.5"> BOUGNER

Does anybody have any suggestions of how I can get rid of all those tags on 466 pages/66,111 words in some kind of streamlined way?

I am, in a word, desperate.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.

~J

[Edited at 2011-08-15 20:46 GMT]
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 15:20
English to Turkish
+ ...
CodeZapper Aug 15, 2011

The only solution for such files is a small program developed by David Turner.

http://asap-traduction.com/CodeZapper

Selcuk

jblosser
United States
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Selcuk Aug 15, 2011

That looks like exactly what I need (and have needed in the past on smaller documents as well!)

Before I donate 20 Euros and contact Mr. Turner, can you tell me a bit about how it works? Is this an add-on that I'll see in Word or is it a standalone program? (I'm very wary of add-ons... Trados and WordFast were both nightmares for me in Word).

Thanks again for your quick reply and for any further light you can shed on this for me.

~J

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:20
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Why not adapt formatting in Word? Aug 15, 2011

Beside CodeZaper you can simply select all text (CTRL+A), then set all text attributes to normal (CTRL+D). This will remove most of the tags.
Adapting styles to match local formatting will bring another correction.

jblosser
United States
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Tried that first Aug 15, 2011

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Beside CodeZaper you can simply select all text (CTRL+A), then set all text attributes to normal (CTRL+D). This will remove most of the tags.
Adapting styles to match local formatting will bring another correction.

Unfortunately, that is basically the equivalent of copying the text to notepad and then putting it back into the Word document (which I also tried). It definitely removes the pesky tags, but it also throws off the spacing with respect to various images, etc. within the document.

Thanks for the reply, though!

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 15:20
English to Turkish
+ ...
Template file Aug 15, 2011

CZ is not a standalone program, it is a template file that you can store in the Start-up folder or in Templates folder. I store all my templates under C:\Documents and Settings\\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates and activate them when required.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Excessive tags when opening Word document in SDL Trados Studio 2009

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »