Virginia Castellano
Virginia Castellano  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:07
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sep 6, 2013

Hi everyone,

This is Virginia. I am in desperate need for help. I have got a dead pdf (scanned document which I cannot convert) to translate. As my Wordfast Pro 3 and OmegaT do not accept it, I have read I could do it with Wordfast Anywhere. So I have do so but now I am not able to save my translated file clear with the format. Only with all the red tags....ANY ADVICE?? it's due for tomorrow night and I don't know what to try any more....MANY, MANY THANKS!

silviacasilli
silviacasilli  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
Have you tried with Fluency? Sep 6, 2013

Fluency should convert the file in text and re-converti it into pdf...

Paz González
Paz González  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
Acrobat Sep 6, 2013

Maybe, you can open it with Adobe Acrobat and then convert it into Word and then edit it. After that you can open it and work with it with your CAT.

Hope it helps.

Virginia Castellano
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
adobe does not work! Fluency ... Sep 6, 2013

For some reason the adobbe export pdf does not work. Another translator has explained me is cause of the scanned nature of the file.

About fluency: so far unable to execute it to install it. A file with an endind '.exe.part' is the one offered and my windows 8 declares himself unable to open it...what an adventure!!haha

Thanks everyone!

Bernard Lieber
Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
ABBYY FineReader 11 Sep 6, 2013

Hi Virgina,

ABBYY FineReader 11 would be probably the best choice but what you're describing is the worst scenario for translating pdfs, you would also need to clear the "tag soup" with Codezapper.

Cheers,

Bernard

[Edited at 2013-09-06 19:57 GMT]

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:07
Italian to English
Right forum? Sep 6, 2013

Hi Virginia

I'm no expert in Wordfast Anywhere but I believe your problem has been discussed previously in the Wordfast Support forum.
If you can't find anything in past threads, there are expert contributors there who I'm sure could help you if they are online at the weekend.

Paz González
Paz González  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
Fre OCR program Sep 6, 2013

Virginia, there is a free OCR program that is really good, you just have to register. I can't remember the name right now. I'll try to find it.

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:07
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Onenote Sep 6, 2013

Check if you have OneNote in your PC (it comes with MS Windows). Paste the image there and right click on the image, select "Copy text of the image".

Regards

Clarisa

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Just... Sep 7, 2013

...send it to me (via my proz profile) and I will see what I can do, if you want (working anyway this weekend).

Best regards,

Matthias

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
The result: Sep 7, 2013

...unfortunately the pdf wasn´t editable (it was a fax saved as pdf). My ABBY Fine Reader was only able to make linguistical salad out of it...

Virginia Castellano
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
no solution so far Sep 7, 2013

Thanks Mathias, thanks to everyone,
So far I haven't found solution (I tried installing OneNote but haven't found a free trial yet).
My client told me they'll sent it over to someelse for QM, is that a normal procedure?!?
I'm gonna be very carefull with the files that I accept from now on!

thanks again,
Virginia.

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Simple is best Sep 7, 2013

Giving all the time you've had to waste on this so far, wouldn't it have been quicker to simply re-type it?

I don't know if the use of Trados is really vital (or even helpful) here, but I would have been tempted simply to type my translation directly into a fresh document, and forget the CAT.

If for some reason the CAT cannot be avoided, then it would surely still be quicker to re-type even in the source language and work from there...

If you're still stuck
... See more
Giving all the time you've had to waste on this so far, wouldn't it have been quicker to simply re-type it?

I don't know if the use of Trados is really vital (or even helpful) here, but I would have been tempted simply to type my translation directly into a fresh document, and forget the CAT.

If for some reason the CAT cannot be avoided, then it would surely still be quicker to re-type even in the source language and work from there...

If you're still stuck, I don't mind having a go running it through Abbyy for you if you like.
Collapse

Virginia Castellano
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Abby doesn't work either! Sep 7, 2013

Hi Tony,
Thanks for your answer. As you said at this point I'm just typing directly in word!.
Thanks for the Abby offer but Mathias already tried but no great results.

Cheers,
Virginia.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:07
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Print it out Sep 7, 2013

I agree with Tony M. Wouldn't it be simpler just to print out the recalcitrant PDF and do the translation in a new Word file of your own making?
Or perhaps the PDF is "locked" in such a way that you can't even print it? That happened to me once.
Best of luck, anyway.
Jenny

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
If it is not too late... Sep 7, 2013

..why not sourcing out the type and formatting work via proz, worldwide? I guess you will be surprised how cheap it can be when asking and chosing for the "best price" offer...I´ve heard (read) via proz forum elsewhere that some colleagues in other parts of the world beyond Europe are specialized in such work, but I don´t know who and where did I read it. At least you are allowed to offer jobs via proz.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dead pdf

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »