Thread poster: Piero Intonti
Piero Intonti
Piero Intonti  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 16:14
Italian to English
+ ...
Jan 13, 2014

Hello everyone! Probably this question could seem strange, but I really don't understand which is the difference between Multiterm extract 2014 and Autosuggest dictionary, when the two applications allow for extracting terms from TM and text.
Thanks a lot for the reply.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 16:14
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I don't work with Studio 2014 yet, but... Jan 13, 2014

I don't work with Studio 2014 yet, but let us assume the difference is the same as in earlier versions.

Multiterm is a glossary function, to which you add terminology, like a dictionary.

Multiterm extract is a tool that allows you to search through a translated text and compare the source and target to find suitable terms to add to your dictionary.

This forms a database which you can search through and edit.
You can add long expressions, or items tha
... See more
I don't work with Studio 2014 yet, but let us assume the difference is the same as in earlier versions.

Multiterm is a glossary function, to which you add terminology, like a dictionary.

Multiterm extract is a tool that allows you to search through a translated text and compare the source and target to find suitable terms to add to your dictionary.

This forms a database which you can search through and edit.
You can add long expressions, or items that come up frequently - I have the countries of the EU, months of the year and days of the week in mine.
I also have the names of numerous ministries and public authorities, ministerial orders and legislation that come up frequently, and many other items.

When you translate, if any source terms in the segment you have open match terms in the Multiterm database, they appear in a window on the screen together with the translation. There may be more than one translation if you have entered different suggestions for different contexts etc.

An AutoSuggest dictionary collects terms statistically from termbases, and cannot be edited. It picks up ordinary expressions and collocations that occur frequently in the TM on which it is based, but often these are common expressions that you would not spend time adding to your Multiterm database.

They also appear on screen when you type the first letter or two, and they can save you typing.

There is more explanation here:
http://www.translationzone.com/products/sdl-trados-studio/sdl-autosuggest.html

[Edited at 2014-01-13 20:31 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multiterm extract 2014 and Autosuggest dictionary

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »