Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:31
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Nov 15, 2010

Dear all,

While translating a text containing lots of acronyms (which I need to translate to target language acronyms), I've recognized that Studio/MultiTerm fails to recognize terms with a length of less than three letters. I can find the corresponding termbank entry without problems in the term search window, but the term recognition yields no results.

Is there any setting I can adjust, or is it considered a feature rather than a bug?

Kind regards,
... See more
Dear all,

While translating a text containing lots of acronyms (which I need to translate to target language acronyms), I've recognized that Studio/MultiTerm fails to recognize terms with a length of less than three letters. I can find the corresponding termbank entry without problems in the term search window, but the term recognition yields no results.

Is there any setting I can adjust, or is it considered a feature rather than a bug?

Kind regards,
Erik
Collapse

Ulrich Schramm

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
3 letters is the lowest I think Nov 15, 2010

AFAIK there is no setting for that and 3 letters are the shortest acronym to be recognized.

Erik Freitag
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
would be useful Nov 15, 2010

Thanks, Jerzy, for confirming what I was suspecting. For me, it would be a useful feature, though.

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Limitations... Nov 15, 2010

efreitag wrote:

The internal Multiterm algorithms use trigrams.
These algorithms are good for typical indoeuropean languages, even heavily inflected but they fail for very short words and for agglutinative languages.
In this case, memoQ is visibly better.

Cheers
GG

Susanne Rieg (X)
Susanne Rieg (X)  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
No term recognition Nov 15, 2010

Sorry, wrong thread

[Edited at 2010-11-15 09:54 GMT]

JaneD
JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Would be a good feature for some languages Nov 15, 2010

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

AFAIK there is no setting for that and 3 letters are the shortest acronym to be recognized.

I had also realised that there must be a three letter limit - this is a shame, as there are certain words in some languages which are only two letters but for which the English equivalent is considerably longer. For example, the Swedish word "nå", meaning to reach or achieve.

Erik Freitag
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
even worse for acronyms Nov 15, 2010

Janed wrote:

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

I had also realised that there must be a three letter limit - this is a shame, as there are certain words in some languages which are only two letters but for which the English equivalent is considerably longer. For example, the Swedish word "nå", meaning to reach or achieve.

Yes, that's true, but in the case of acronyms, it's even worse in my opinion. For most of those short words, you don't need to think much in order to come up with the translation, as they tend to be quite straightforward. However, acronyms tend to be very specific and non-intuitive. In the specific case I'm busy with at the moment, there are more than ten two-letter acronyms with their respective target acronyms. I'm keeping track the old-fashioned way, by having a printed list on my desk. By the time I've finished the translation, I probably know them all, but can forget them as I'll probably never see them again.
This is not quite what I expect from a terminology software. I admit that it's a very specific case, but on the other hand, I can't quite see why the software shouldn't be able to handle it.

HH Liefers
HH Liefers
English to German
Find Acronyms with Concordance Nov 15, 2010

For almost a decade I was not able to search for any acronyms using the concordance feature, which often was very annoying. Concordance found a lot of results, but did not especially grab the intended acronyms (or specific numbers).
Now, with Studio, things have changed completely, and you are now able to find the acronyms easily. This also applies for 2-character acronyms!
So, as a workaround, if you have translated 2-character acronyms before (i.e. they are in any of your as
... See more
For almost a decade I was not able to search for any acronyms using the concordance feature, which often was very annoying. Concordance found a lot of results, but did not especially grab the intended acronyms (or specific numbers).
Now, with Studio, things have changed completely, and you are now able to find the acronyms easily. This also applies for 2-character acronyms!
So, as a workaround, if you have translated 2-character acronyms before (i.e. they are in any of your assigned TMs), then you can just use the concordance feature to find them quickly.
Collapse

Wolf Kux
Wolf Kux  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 23:31
Member (2006)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
An idea for short acronyms... Nov 15, 2010

... since this software does not recognize them: increase them to three!

Wherever you find a 2-letter acronym, put something like "_", "#", "$" or "|" on them. Under some circumstances such symbols may be treated as characters.

On finished text such characters may be put away by a simple edit command.

Ulrich Schramm
Ulrich Schramm
Italy
Italian to German
+ ...
2024 and this problem isn't still solved Apr 12

I am very disappointed about the way customer requests are handled. It is obvious that this problem affects more than one translator. I will spare myself any further comments.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to make MultiTerm/Studio recognize short terms

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »