Normal salary range for translators in Montreal?
Thread poster: Jenna Khamis
Jenna Khamis
Jenna Khamis
Canada
French to English
+ ...
Aug 4, 2021

Hi,

I've been living in Switzerland for the past four years and am returning to Montreal, so I'm a little out of touch with the translation market in Canada. A lot of the translator jobs (FR-EN) I am applying to are asking for an estimated annual salary. I am just finishing a master's in specialized FR-EN translation, I have a bachelor's in EN-FR translation, and I have about 5/6 years of translation experience altogether. I also plan to get certified within the next couple months.
... See more
Hi,

I've been living in Switzerland for the past four years and am returning to Montreal, so I'm a little out of touch with the translation market in Canada. A lot of the translator jobs (FR-EN) I am applying to are asking for an estimated annual salary. I am just finishing a master's in specialized FR-EN translation, I have a bachelor's in EN-FR translation, and I have about 5/6 years of translation experience altogether. I also plan to get certified within the next couple months. Any thoughts on what an acceptable salary range would be? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

Jenna
Collapse

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:26
French to English
Suggestion Aug 7, 2021

I understand why this type of question is of interest. that's the obvious bit. Answering it usefully is much less obvious! It makes me think of the proverbial "How long is a piece of string?"

Qualifications, experience and knowledge will no doubt play a role. Experience that is marketable will include professional experience other than translation per se. If you know what you are talking about, if you have field experience of a given domain, then that will add points to any applicat
... See more
I understand why this type of question is of interest. that's the obvious bit. Answering it usefully is much less obvious! It makes me think of the proverbial "How long is a piece of string?"

Qualifications, experience and knowledge will no doubt play a role. Experience that is marketable will include professional experience other than translation per se. If you know what you are talking about, if you have field experience of a given domain, then that will add points to any application that you may make.

For an idea of what going rates may apply for your skillset and experience, why not wade through job ads with those criteria, or similar ones?
Collapse

Tina Vonhof (X)
Jorge Payan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
NancyLynn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Normal salary range for translators in Montreal?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »