Farshad Sadoughian  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:33
Member (2021)
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Sep 14, 2021

Hi there,

I'm on a post-graduation work permit in BC, Canada. I have a doctorate degree in dentistry, also 2 MAs in philosophy, the second one at a university in Canada. However, I'm looking for a job as a translator. I've been translated for years, medical, humanities, political, ... texts, but mostly for my passion. However, I've been a paid translator for an American chess website for 6 years. Also recently, I translated a scholarly paper on Kafka for a publication agency in my c
... See more
Hi there,

I'm on a post-graduation work permit in BC, Canada. I have a doctorate degree in dentistry, also 2 MAs in philosophy, the second one at a university in Canada. However, I'm looking for a job as a translator. I've been translated for years, medical, humanities, political, ... texts, but mostly for my passion. However, I've been a paid translator for an American chess website for 6 years. Also recently, I translated a scholarly paper on Kafka for a publication agency in my country.

If I'm not wrong, in order to get the Permanent Residency, my clients should be Canadian. And I guess, considering my DDS degree, medical translation gives me better opportunities. Any idea and suggestions on how I can connect to Canadian translation agencies? I only want and need to do test translations, the rest should be fine!

Also, do you think doing translation for Canadian charity is a good idea? Do I need that?

Thanks in advance,
Farshad
Collapse

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 13:33
Dutch to English
+ ...
Some suggestions Sep 15, 2021

1. Google 'Canadian Translation Agencies' and see what comes up. Check which ones offer your language and specializations. But also try to get direct clients by marketing yourself, for example to government or private health organizations - they often put out information in a number of languages. Start with English to Farsi only, while you keep improving your English.

2. Fill in the Bio in your profile. If you are thinking of making Medical your number one specialization, elaborate
... See more
1. Google 'Canadian Translation Agencies' and see what comes up. Check which ones offer your language and specializations. But also try to get direct clients by marketing yourself, for example to government or private health organizations - they often put out information in a number of languages. Start with English to Farsi only, while you keep improving your English.

2. Fill in the Bio in your profile. If you are thinking of making Medical your number one specialization, elaborate on your experience in that area. Make up a profile page in Farsi as well. And please do not copy that list of 'professional objectives' that you find in so many other profiles. If you want to include objectives, be creative and make up your own.

3. One way to get Canadian clients is by becoming a member of the translators association in BC (STIBC), if you are allowed to as a non-citizen. You will then be listed in their directory and have a small profile there as well. Consider becoming an interpreter - there may be a demand for that in the medical/dental field.

4. If you want to apply for permanent residency, hire an immigration consultant. They know all the ins and outs of the system and what documents you need.

[Edited at 2021-09-15 14:55 GMT]
Collapse

Farshad Sadoughian

Farshad Sadoughian
Farshad Sadoughian  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:33
Member (2021)
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Sep 16, 2021

Tina Vonhof wrote:

2. Fill in the Bio in your profile. If you are thinking of making Medical your number one specialization, elaborate on your experience in that area. Make up a profile page in Farsi as well. And please do not copy that list of 'professional objectives' that you find in so many other profiles. If you want to include objectives, be creative and make up your own.

3. One way to get Canadian clients is by becoming a member of the translators association in BC (STIBC), if you are allowed to as a non-citizen. You will then be listed in their directory and have a small profile there as well. Consider becoming an interpreter - there may be a demand for that in the medical/dental field.

4. If you want to apply for permanent residency, hire an immigration consultant. They know all the ins and outs of the system and what documents you need.

[Edited at 2021-09-15 14:55 GMT]

Thank you so much for the detailed explanation! It's really appreciated. As for your suggestions:

1. I do this regularly, but was thinking maybe I could find some insight from experienced translators here.
2. Thanks, I'll do that.
3. I tried that, but unfortunately, one can be a member, only if they are a citizen.
4. Thanks, I'm thinking about it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
NancyLynn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Medical Translation for Canadian Agencies: How to Make Connections

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »