Thread poster: Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
May 29, 2021

An agency just did something mildly irritating. What are we going to do about this new global trend?

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Matthias Brombach
P.L.F. Persio
Erik Freitag
Zibow Retailleau

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 23:40
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Ice May 29, 2021

Ice Scream wrote:
An agency just did something mildly irritating. What are we going to do about this new global trend?

Scream?

Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Jorge Payan

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:40
Member (2008)
Italian to English
OLd joke May 29, 2021

This reminds me of the old Jewish joke.

Jewish telegram:

START WORRYING DETAILS TO FOLLOW

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Matthias Brombach
P.L.F. Persio
Tomasz Sienicki
Álvaro Espantaleón Moreno
Christopher Schröder
Stepan Konev

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Thank you, Chris! May 29, 2021

I was in need of a good laugh this morning before starting the most tedious job ever…

P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
You mean they were not totally outrageous? May 29, 2021

Ice Scream wrote:

Lucky you!
I have simply deleted all enquiries from new agencies in the last week!

Luckily one of my few direct clients came back after a pause of several years, and a couple of my favourite long-term agencies have kept me out of mischief, but the new trend has not reached me yet.

Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The most tedious job ever May 29, 2021

Teresa Borges wrote:

I was in need of a good laugh this morning before starting the most tedious job ever…

Cleaning the oven?

Applying a fourth coat of paint to the bedroom ceiling?

Making your own tortellini?

Sitting politely through 30 kids performing the same two-minute speech one after the other, only to find yours is part of the next batch of 50?

Reading this post?

P.L.F. Persio
Rachel Fell
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Zibow Retailleau

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Obviously May 29, 2021

Announce that we're sure there is a perfectly reasonable explanation

We ♡ agencies. Haters gonna hate ;_(

Christopher Schröder

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
The most tedious job ever May 30, 2021

Ice Scream wrote:

Teresa Borges wrote:

Cleaning the oven?

Applying a fourth coat of paint to the bedroom ceiling?

Making your own tortellini?

Sitting politely through 30 kids performing the same two-minute speech one after the other, only to find yours is part of the next batch of 50?

Reading this post?

No, not even reading your post (you should know by now that I love your sense of humour). I find myself in the middle of a “war” (not as violent as the various skirmishes and fights that broke out before and after yesterday’s match between Manchester City and Chelsea…) between an EC DG and the Portuguese tax authorities on how certain technical terms should be translated and having to justify why I’ve edited this and that. I should add that this long text (an eLearning course) was translated with a TM that needs a considerable cleaning up. Uuuugh!

[Edited at 2021-05-30 10:12 GMT]

Adieu
P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 18:40
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Worrying Trend II and III May 30, 2021

You don't say what worrying trend this is, but I can think of at least two more:

1. Increasingly long payment terms. In the good old days payment was immediate or 15 days at most. Then 30-day terms started creeping in and now 60 and even 90 days are becoming common. In this crisis, when there is hardly money to buy food, we just can't wait 90 days. We need to be strong and insist on NO MORE than 15 days for payment and/or an advance payment made on ordering the job. Strangely enough
... See more
You don't say what worrying trend this is, but I can think of at least two more:

1. Increasingly long payment terms. In the good old days payment was immediate or 15 days at most. Then 30-day terms started creeping in and now 60 and even 90 days are becoming common. In this crisis, when there is hardly money to buy food, we just can't wait 90 days. We need to be strong and insist on NO MORE than 15 days for payment and/or an advance payment made on ordering the job. Strangely enough, individual people with a CV or short article to translate often pay immediately, while big agencies usually only pay after a long time.

2. Jobs where translators are expected to read the whole text to extract basic information such as the name of the person, date issued, and company name, without translating anything else. The payment for this is one dollar, even though you often need to search for the information through pages of text, which could take hours.

I have also seen an increased demand for languages like Somali, Vietnamese, Wolof, and even Xavante (a Native Brazilian language), while people working in common languages like PTEN are without work. Why have these 'exotic' languages become popular all of a sudden? Maybe I should learn Wolof or Xavante...
Collapse

Adieu
Christopher Schröder

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 00:40
English to Turkish
Affirmative action? May 30, 2021

Paul Dixon wrote:
I have also seen an increased demand for languages like Somali, Vietnamese, Wolof, and even Xavante (a Native Brazilian language), while people working in common languages like PTEN are without work. Why have these 'exotic' languages become popular all of a sudden? Maybe I should learn Wolof or Xavante...

Could it be 'affirmative action' or 'PC gone mad'?

P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
He's not serious May 30, 2021

OP is making fun of people (among them myself) who tend to vent on here about new ploys and market injustices.

Alas, some maleovalent trends are most certainly ACTUALLY a thing and SHOULD concern us.

Remember the days when MT and MTPE didn't exist and no one dared advertise delayed payment?

Even I remember. And I am decades younger than some of you.

Paul Dixon wrote:

1. Increasingly long payment terms. In the good old days payment was immediate or 15 days at most. Then 30-day terms started creeping in and now 60 and even 90 days are becoming common. In this crisis, when there is hardly money to buy food, we just can't wait 90 days. We need to be strong and insist on NO MORE than 15 days for payment and/or an advance payment made on ordering the job. Strangely enough, individual people with a CV or short article to translate often pay immediately, while big agencies usually only pay after a long time.

2. Jobs where translators are expected to read the whole text to extract basic information such as the name of the person, date issued, and company name, without translating anything else. The payment for this is one dollar, even though you often need to search for the information through pages of text, which could take hours.

[Edited at 2021-05-30 17:01 GMT]

Baran Keki
Christine Andersen
P.L.F. Persio

matt robinson
matt robinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Indeedy Jun 2, 2021

The increase in worrying new trends is a worrying new trend.

P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder
LIZ LI

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Worrying new trend

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »