Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Tongue in cheek Jun 5, 2021

Robert Forstag wrote:
Well, yes, we are all different - and that helps explain why what you initially described in this thread seems to be something that applies to your own circumstances. It cannot therefore reasonably be adduced as evidence of any larger "trend."

I understood that to be Teresa’s point. It was just a bit of fun in reference to various other “new trend” threads recently, all based on one person’s experience.

P.L.F. Persio

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:32
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Oh, yeah! Jun 5, 2021

Ice Scream wrote:

Robert Forstag wrote:
Well, yes, we are all different - and that helps explain why what you initially described in this thread seems to be something that applies to your own circumstances. It cannot therefore reasonably be adduced as evidence of any larger "trend."

I understood that to be Teresa’s point. It was just a bit of fun in reference to various other “new trend” threads recently, all based on one person’s experience.

You understood correctly!

P.L.F. Persio

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Hmm Jun 8, 2021

OP, you might be on to something.

I was mildly surprised to find myself with >$1k (of actual, materialized work) booked for the week by 11AM Monday.

Perhaps numerous temporary freelancers have returned to day jobs or ragequit? Or maybe the visible toll of '20-'21 on public mental health has driven up the value of people who can be trusted to keep a deadline?

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
@Ads Jun 8, 2021

Adieu wrote:
I was mildly surprised to find myself with >$1k (of actual, materialized work) booked for the week by 11AM Monday.

Perhaps numerous temporary freelancers have returned to day jobs or ragequit? Or maybe the visible toll of '20-'21 on public mental health has driven up the value of people who can be trusted to keep a deadline?

Is there a Russian equivalent of the English saying “One swallow does not a summer make”?

P.L.F. Persio

Catherine Howard
Catherine Howard
United States
Local time: 07:32
Portuguese to English
+ ...
booking ahead = respect for translator Jun 8, 2021

All my clients and long-time agencies always book me ahead of time by asking if I'm available for a project arriving soon. Indeed, this is something that the vast majority of businesses in the real world do if they are serious, professional entities. They don't want to have to scramble around at the last minute finding someone to do a project that they need
by a certain deadline.

I consider this a sign of respect for my time and my schedule. I'm confused why anyone would vie
... See more
All my clients and long-time agencies always book me ahead of time by asking if I'm available for a project arriving soon. Indeed, this is something that the vast majority of businesses in the real world do if they are serious, professional entities. They don't want to have to scramble around at the last minute finding someone to do a project that they need
by a certain deadline.

I consider this a sign of respect for my time and my schedule. I'm confused why anyone would view it as "worrisome" or suspect if it comes from an established client or agency. Maybe some people are confusing this with an unknown entity advertising a "potential project" -- something that often falls through and which, after getting burnt a couple times, I don't even bother with any more. It's only the bottom-of-the-barrel agencies that do this, agencies who consider all translators replaceable and are looking for the cheapest possible ones. But decent client and agencies understand that it's more expensive to screen and replace good freelancers or employees than to be reliable and treat them with respect and decent pay. If my regulars were to cancel projects on me more than once in a blue moon (for reasons beyond their control), they know I'd no longer reserve time for their project. That's not good for their reputation or their bottom line, so if they're smart, organized, professional, serious business people, they follow through on the projects for which they booked me in advance.

Who knows why all of a sudden several clients started doing this in someone's particular case: maybe the topic came up in a discussion forum for agency owners as a recommended best practice.

So my inclination is to say "Relax, don't worry -- celebrate the fact!"
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
P.L.F. Persio
Kevin Fulton
ahartje

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 06:32
English to Russian
+ ...
Есть (yes, there is) Jun 8, 2021

Ice Scream wrote:
Is there a Russian equivalent of the English saying “One swallow does not a summer make”?

Одна ласточка весны не делает.

It's even more than an equivalent, it's a word to word and a very popular saying in Russia.

P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:32
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Difference Jun 9, 2021

IrinaN wrote:

Ice Scream wrote:

Одна ласточка весны не делает.

It's even more than an equivalent, it's a word to word and a very popular saying in Russia.

... with the only difference that "веснa" means "spring" rather than "summer".

P.L.F. Persio
IrinaN
Adieu

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 06:32
English to Russian
+ ...
@Steffen Jun 10, 2021

I stand corrected:-) I should drop the habit of sneaking on Proz in between other things and jobs to post something that requires attention. That was a senior moment. I guess I'm no longer a first-class multitasker I used to be

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
@Irina Jun 10, 2021

IrinaN wrote:
I guess I'm no longer a first-class multitasker I used to be

You're still a first-class lady. And a Russian spring is similar to an English summer ...

IrinaN

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
And… Jun 10, 2021

P.L.F. Persio wrote:

IrinaN wrote:
I guess I'm no longer a first-class multitasker I used to be

You're still a first-class lady. And a Russian spring is similar to an English summer ...

The English saying can actually be spring or summer.

IrinaN
P.L.F. Persio

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Perhaps Jun 11, 2021

Maybe even our swallows prefer to vacation in Europe

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Even so ... Jun 11, 2021

Adieu wrote:

Maybe even our swallows prefer to vacation in Europe

... there's something about Russia.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:32
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Keeping you posted... Jun 11, 2021

I’ve received two of the booked jobs, one of them sooner than expected. I’ll keep on waiting for the one that had no precise date. A very good weekend for you all!

P.L.F. Persio

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Another new trend?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »