From Amharic to Xhosa, introducing Translate in 13 new languages -- now over 100 in total!

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "From Amharic to Xhosa, introducing Translate in 13 new languages -- now over 100 in total!".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:26
Spanish to English
+ ...
GT Feb 18, 2016

I'm studying Navajo. There will never be an app for that.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:26
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Google Translate Feb 18, 2016

is not intended for studying languages, but for translating. To be included into the GT scope, a language, as I understand, must be more or less widely present in the Internet. If Navajo is such a language, I guess, it is only a matter of time.

Ed Ashley
Ed Ashley  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:26
French to English
+ ...
Just to be pedantic Feb 21, 2016

"So what goes into adding a new language? Beyond the basic criteria that it must be a written language, we also need a significant amount of translations in the new language to be available on the web."

Apparently translation is an uncountable noun now. Don't worry, folks, your translations is in good hands!

And who needs a criterion when you've got a criteria?

Awful.

[Edited at 2016-02-21 22:25 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

From Amharic to Xhosa, introducing Translate in 13 new languages -- now over 100 in total!

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »