Mac Subtitling: Will Softel SWIFT run on a Mac with Bootcamp?
Thread poster: David Buchanan
David Buchanan
David Buchanan
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:05
French to English
Jan 26, 2011

Hi Everyone,

I own a Mac, and I want to invest in some subtitling software (probably Softel SWIFT). However, it's PC only and I'm loath to fork out for a PC, just to run one piece of software.

Does anyone have experience of running SWIFT (or other subtitling software) via Bootcamp, within a Mac? If so, were there any problems?

Any advice most appreciated!

Miyuki Ueno
Miyuki Ueno  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 14:05
English to Japanese
In my case... Jan 27, 2011

I installed Trados 2007 on my Mac, Bootcamp.
All windows software works with no problems, BUT you may need a mouse and a keyboard for Windows.

kmtext
kmtext
United Kingdom
English
+ ...
Have you tried contacting Softel? Jan 27, 2011

Their tech guys are usually pretty helpful with queries. Avoid the salespeople though, for obvious reasons.

David Buchanan
David Buchanan
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
. Jan 27, 2011

Thank you both for the advice.

I've spoken to Softel, and they say it works fine - but I thought I'd check with non-Softel people too, just to get an impartial opinion, find out about any glitches, compatibility issues, etc.

I suspect that as long as the Mac is powerful enough, it should be OK...

kmtext
kmtext
United Kingdom
English
+ ...
Get a trial version Feb 2, 2011

I'd suggest getting a time-limited trial version just to be on the safe side. I think it costs about £100, which they deduct from the final purchase price if you go on to buy the unlimited version. They send you a fully operational version of the software with a dongle which usually expires in something like 14 days and which can then be upgraded.

Diana Battaglio
Diana Battaglio  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
Swift Create - Trial version Feb 2, 2011

Hi David,

I also use Swift, but I do not have a Mac, sorry.
I agree with kmtext: try the demo version first, I did it before purchasing the software.

The price of the demo is £65+VAT: it is a 30-day, fully functional demo version. I confirm that the demo price is then deducted from the final purchase price.

Should you need further details about your i
... See more
Hi David,

I also use Swift, but I do not have a Mac, sorry.
I agree with kmtext: try the demo version first, I did it before purchasing the software.

The price of the demo is £65+VAT: it is a 30-day, fully functional demo version. I confirm that the demo price is then deducted from the final purchase price.

Should you need further details about your issue, contact Softel Support Team at: [email protected] or call 0118 984 2151.

Good luck!
Collapse

David Buchanan
David Buchanan
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Good plan Feb 2, 2011

Thank you both, that's excellent advice - I didn't know about the trial version. And 30 days is plenty of time to get to grips with it.

I wonder how long it will be before someone develops a high-spec subtitling programme for mac? So much of the film post-production process is mac-based, it's odd that no-one's integrated a subtitling programme into Final Cut Studio, Avid, etc.

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:05
French to German
+ ...
What about these programmes? Feb 2, 2011

David Buchanan wrote:

Thank you both, that's excellent advice - I didn't know about the trial version. And 30 days is plenty of time to get to grips with it.

I wonder how long it will be before someone develops a high-spec subtitling programme for mac? So much of the film post-production process is mac-based, it's odd that no-one's integrated a subtitling programme into Final Cut Studio, Avid, etc.

http://tinyurl.com/5rks8vh - low-spec ones?

PS: I would personally rank Belle Nuit's Subtitler 1.7.8 (USD 150) among possible candidates.

[Edited at 2011-02-03 07:24 GMT]

kmtext
kmtext
United Kingdom
English
+ ...
I use Belle Nuit too Feb 3, 2011

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:

David Buchanan wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/5rks8vh - low-spec ones?

PS: I would personally rank Belle Nuit's Subtitler 1.7.8 (USD 150) among possible candidates.

[Edited at 2011-02-03 07:24 GMT]

It is a good package, but not particularly user-friendly for origination. What I tend to do for some clients is to originate on Swift and then export through Belle Nuit.

GoLocalise Ltd
GoLocalise Ltd
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
Swift Subtitling on a Mac (Virtual Machine or Bootcamp) May 16, 2015

Hello guys, how are you?

I am wondering if anybody has managed to install Swift on a Mac?

We have just currently bought 3 extra licenses and I want to install them on the Macs, but I am getting some trouble with this.

Is anybody running Swift on a Mac? How did you manage to make this happen?

If so, are you running this over bootcamp or virtual machine?

I would like this to run on a VIRTUAL MACHINE since our entire network is a
... See more
Hello guys, how are you?

I am wondering if anybody has managed to install Swift on a Mac?

We have just currently bought 3 extra licenses and I want to install them on the Macs, but I am getting some trouble with this.

Is anybody running Swift on a Mac? How did you manage to make this happen?

If so, are you running this over bootcamp or virtual machine?

I would like this to run on a VIRTUAL MACHINE since our entire network is a Mac network, and it is easier to have it on another Window and be able to minimise this whenever necessary. This will be much better than having to buy 3 more PC which will also take valuable space in the office.

Any advice will be highly appreciated.

Thanks very much.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mac Subtitling: Will Softel SWIFT run on a Mac with Bootcamp?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »