Anything like Microsoft language portal for Mac OS?
Thread poster: Paula Hernández
Paula Hernández
Paula Hernández
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:53
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 21, 2011

I need to know how the interface of Mac is translated in Catalan, does anybody know of a site similar to Microsoft language portal but dealing with Mac OS?

Thanks!

Marcin Jedrysiak
Marcin Jedrysiak
Poland
Local time: 06:53
English to Polish
Limited resources Mar 21, 2011

You can find some limited resources here (registration may be required):

http://developer.apple.com/internationalization/downloads/

Marcin

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Set the system UI language? Mar 21, 2011

If it's just some Finder stuff you need, set your "International" system preferences to Catalan.

It would surprise me very much if Apple had a language portal among its developer tools, but the developer portal is at developer.apple.com.

Paula Hernández
Paula Hernández
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Mar 21, 2011

Hi Joakim,
thanks for your answer. The thing is I'm translating a user guide for a printer and it describes what to do when it is installed in a Mac computer, for that I need to know how the interface is translated in Catalan.

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
No Catalan Mar 21, 2011

Sorry, apparently MacOSX doesn't exist in Catalan: http://www.macworld.co.uk/mac/news/index.cfm?newsid=17033&pagtype=allchandate

In any case, a language portal is not really a substitute for access to the target platform (and a working knowledge of it). It's impossible to do a good job of software translation otherwise.

(Today in the
... See more
Sorry, apparently MacOSX doesn't exist in Catalan: http://www.macworld.co.uk/mac/news/index.cfm?newsid=17033&pagtype=allchandate

In any case, a language portal is not really a substitute for access to the target platform (and a working knowledge of it). It's impossible to do a good job of software translation otherwise.

(Today in the drop shadow filter dialog of an Adobe application (Swedish version) I saw "spread" translated as if it meant "page spread", not "spread of the drop shadow effect". The English terms are identical, the Swedish terms entirely different. Someone was translating a word list...)
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Hmm... Mar 21, 2011

Joakim Braun wrote:

(Today in the drop shadow filter dialog of an Adobe application (Swedish version) I saw "spread" translated as if it meant "page spread", not "spread of the drop shadow effect". The English terms are identical, the Swedish terms entirely different. Someone was translating a word list...)

Translating word lists is what usually happens, I'm afraid. In my limited localizatin experience, translators rarely get to see where each string will appear in the final software. The best you can hope is some reasonably precise context information and decent final testing to catch your worst errors.

Paula wrote:
does anybody know of a site similar to Microsoft language portal but dealing with Mac OS?

Here's the site with free downloads:
http://developer.apple.com/internationalization/downloads/
But Catalan's missing, as noted earlier.

If the sw references OS features a lot, you are in an interesting pickle.
If the link posted previously is right, there has been no Catalan mac os since 2001. It's a safe bet that the software you're localizing won't run on the last Catalan-speaking mac os (os 9), so you might as well forget about that.
You could take a stab at translating everything to Catalan, knowing full well that users will not find the menus you are telling them to look for - because they don't exist in Catalan and people are using OSX in Spanish, presumably. Presenting the menu items and settings in Spanish would be the most practical option for most users, I imagine, but it could incite the wrath of Catalan nationalists so that idea might be a non-starter. In Hungarian translations, such items are sometimes left in English, but doing that here would be awful for those who use OS X in Spanish and don't speak English.

Paula Hernández
Paula Hernández
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Mar 21, 2011

Thank you for the replies.

I am supposed to translate the part of the OS as English (Localized), if Mac is not in Catalan, I guess it won't matter since it is only to make it coherent with the whole user guide.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: I was contacted by Apple to remove this post since the login information is confidential.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anything like Microsoft language portal for Mac OS?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »