Thread poster: stephen mewes
stephen mewes
stephen mewes  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:26
Swedish to English
+ ...
Sep 9, 2010

I have been told that I have exceeded my mailbox limit for Outlook Express 6 and that I must delete messages from my Inbox.

I have tried to delete messages by pressing the Delete key, but nothing seems to happen. Strangely though I am able to delete the odd one or two but cannot delete the majority of messages.

Is there anyway of deleting the entire contents of my Inbox?<
... See more
I have been told that I have exceeded my mailbox limit for Outlook Express 6 and that I must delete messages from my Inbox.

I have tried to delete messages by pressing the Delete key, but nothing seems to happen. Strangely though I am able to delete the odd one or two but cannot delete the majority of messages.

Is there anyway of deleting the entire contents of my Inbox?

When replying, please use [email protected] as I won't be able to receive any messages!

Thanks for any suggestions
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 08:26
English to Thai
+ ...
Hidden files Sep 9, 2010

stephen mewes wrote:

Outlook Express uses hidden files to save inbox message. By deleting the hidden file and recreate the mail account again, you can delete as many e-mails as you like.

Best regards,

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:26
German to Spanish
+ ...
Problem deleting messages from Inbox Sep 9, 2010

stephen mewes wrote:

When replying, please use [email protected] as I won't be able to receive any messages!

Thanks for any suggestions

a) Export your adress book to reimport it after deleting the OE-databases.

b) Follow the path: Tools -> Options -> Maintenance -> Storing folder (or something like, my OE is in Spanish...). A pop-up window with the directory path where your OE databases are stored will appear.

Mark and copy this directory path and access to it trough the windows explorer. Compress the files with the .dbx extension (just in case you want to recover them in the future), save the compressed files in a safe place, and proceed to delete the .dbx folders you won't need.

d) Reimport your adress book to OE.

Bear in mind this does NOT delete individual mails. It zaps the entire database!

[Edited at 2010-09-09 10:51 GMT]

Pablo Bouvier
German to Spanish
+ ...
Problem deleting messages from Inbox Sep 9, 2010

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.) wrote:

stephen mewes wrote:

Outlook Express uses hidden files to save inbox message. By deleting the hidden file and recreate the mail account again, you can delete as many e-mails as you like.

Best regards,

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Can yo tell me where such hidden files reside and their names?
So far I know, the .dbx are encrypted database files, no hidden files.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 08:26
English to Thai
+ ...
Documents and Settings Sep 10, 2010

Pablo Bouvier wrote:

Best regards,

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Suppose your first PC drive is C:, it is under folder "C:\Documents and Settings." The hidden file extension is *.dbx; for all e-mails in inbox, outbox, draft, sent, trash, account settings etc. It is not easy to view these hidden files since Outlook Express Identities (a minor database!) is in a very deep sub-folder of Documents and Settings folder. The simplest way: access the Inbox folder of Outlook Express; right click to see the entire path. Do not forget to show hidden file in Folder Options. If this fails (my PC did not show hidden files even these repeating settings), rewrite the Windows registry carefully. Search Internet on how to rewrite to view hidden files.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

[Edited at 2010-09-10 01:08 GMT]

Pablo Bouvier
German to Spanish
+ ...
Problem deleting messages from Inbox Sep 10, 2010

Pablo Bouvier wrote:

Best regards,

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Suppose your first PC drive is C:, it is under folder "C:\Documents and Settings." The hidden file extension is *.dbx; for all e-mails in inbox, outbox, draft, sent, trash, account settings etc. It is not easy to view these hidden files since Outlook Express Identities (a minor database!) is in a very deep sub-folder of Documents and Settings folder. The simplest way: access the Inbox folder of Outlook Express; right click to see the entire path. Do not forget to show hidden file in Folder Options. If this fails (my PC did not show hidden files even these repeating settings), rewrite the Windows registry carefully. Search Internet on how to rewrite to view hidden files.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

[Edited at 2010-09-10 01:08 GMT]

OK, thanx a lot! I did not know this solution. However, the path is the same I explained in my answering post to Stephen before.

[Edited at 2010-09-10 12:13 GMT]

stephen mewes
stephen mewes  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:26
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks for your help Sep 10, 2010

Thank you both for your help. I think the procedures are a bit beyond my technical abilities so I think I'll get an engineer to carry them out.

Once again thanks!

Steve

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem deleting messages from Inbox

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »