broadband upstream speed
Tópico cartaz: eva75
eva75
eva75
inglês
+ ...
Aug 7, 2006

i'm looking at an internet package that offers 128k upstream.

What exactly does upstream refer to? how quick it takes to attach docs by email and send? Is it possible to view videos and listen to the radio with 128k?

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Local time: 01:08
espanhol para inglês
+ ...
Its a question of 'A' ... Aug 7, 2006

The "A" in ADSL stands for asymmetric.

ADSL broadband services use different (asymmetric) bit-rates to send data from your PC to the internet (up-load / upstream), on the one hand, and to take data from the internet into your PC (download / downstream), on the other hand. To qualify as 'broadband' the downstream bit-rate must be at least 300 kbit/s. The upstream bit-rate may be only around one-fifth of this.

You can see this ratio in play if you look at your Interne
... See more
The "A" in ADSL stands for asymmetric.

ADSL broadband services use different (asymmetric) bit-rates to send data from your PC to the internet (up-load / upstream), on the one hand, and to take data from the internet into your PC (download / downstream), on the other hand. To qualify as 'broadband' the downstream bit-rate must be at least 300 kbit/s. The upstream bit-rate may be only around one-fifth of this.

You can see this ratio in play if you look at your Internet connection status: mine, at this moment, shows that I've sent 186,639 bytes (upstream) and received 1,628,173 bytes (downstream), since I last connected.

The reasonning (and, indeed, what makes ADSL possible on old-fashioned telephone lines running into people's homes) is that most people browsing the web send far less data than they receive - you may send 10 kb of data do do Google search, but when you click a link in the search results you may then download a 10 Mb sound file. Only if you are sending very large e-mail attachments, or perhaps uploading photo-pages to your website, will this ratio start to swing towards a balance.

In my experience, 128 kbytes is quite sufficient for the upstream direction. It has no effect on listening/viewing to media clips - for which you need to check the downstream bitrate: 300 kb/s (i.e. any basic broadband service) would be enough for most sound material, for video you probably need at least 1 Mb/s.

HTH

MediaMatrix

[Edited at 2006-08-07 14:49]
Collapse

eva75
eva75
inglês
+ ...
CRIADOR(A) DO TÓPICO
downstream speed Aug 7, 2006

for this i have 1MB downstream. No more, I hope that will be enough!!

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Local time: 01:08
espanhol para inglês
+ ...
Futher reading ... Aug 9, 2006

Eva,

You might find this interesting: http://www.proz.com/topic/52766

MediaMatrix

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderador(es) deste fórum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

broadband upstream speed

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »