How to open .tif file
De persoon die dit onderwerp heeft geplaatst: Profile
Canada
Local time: 20:39
Lid 2009
Engels naar Koreaans
+ ...
Jun 6, 2007

I received .tif files. But I can't open it. The company said there is no problem to open it on their side. What could be the problem?
Thank you.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
Verenigde Staten
Local time: 17:39
Engels naar Duits
+ ...
In memoriam
Hi, Profile! Jun 6, 2007

If you don't have PhotoShop or similar, you might not be able to open a .tif-file by clicking on it, but you can load it into any Word, PageMaker, QuarkXPress, InDesign or Publisher file and view / print it without any problem.

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Zweden
Local time: 02:39
Engels naar Zweeds
+ ...
Freeware Jun 7, 2007

Hi!

You don't have to go via commercial software like the ones mentioned above.
There are free image viewers like Irfanview, that can enlarge and handle .TIF much more conveniently than taking the detour over Word...

Good luck,

Jan

Canada
Lid 2009
Engels naar Koreaans
+ ...
ONDERWERPSTARTER
Irfanview, loading into MS Jun 7, 2007

Thanks all for your help.

First suggestion: I clicked on the file in email and did "save as". Is this what you mean by loading it into MS Word? I opened it. But it say it's unknown file not opening.

Second: I downloaded Irfanview from internet. But I still can't open it.

Nicole Schnell
Verenigde Staten
Engels naar Duits
+ ...
In memoriam
Hello again Jun 7, 2007

Hi Profile,

no, that's not what I meant. Simply save the .tif file to your hard disk as is, open a new document in Word or OpenOffice or whatever you are using, in the menu bar click on -> Insert -> Picture -> From file and there you are.

Canada
Lid 2009
Engels naar Koreaans
+ ...
ONDERWERPSTARTER
Insert Picture Jun 7, 2007

Thanks again. I saved it as it is in a specific folder. Then I opened MS Word (2007).
After clicking "Insert, "Inset pictures" box appeared. So I was looking for the file in the area I saved it. But I couldn't find it.

Nicole Schnell
Verenigde Staten
Engels naar Duits
+ ...
In memoriam
Hi, Profile! Jun 7, 2007

I would be happy to run a test with one of your files, please contact me via my profile page. However, I have a serious deadline in two hours, later this evening would be fine.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Nederland
Lid 2006
Engels naar Afrikaans
+ ...
Variations of TIFF Jun 8, 2007

Profile wrote:
I received .tif files. But I can't open it. The company said there is no problem to open it on their side. What could be the problem?

I'm no expert on this, but there are variations of TIFF files. Some of them can be opened using freeware tools. Perhaps this one is one that can't be opened by freeware tools. I would also suggest you download XnView and try to view it there, but if that fails, the client should convert the file to another format for you (medium to high quality JPG, for example). What program does the client use?

Canada
Lid 2009
Engels naar Koreaans
+ ...
ONDERWERPSTARTER
XnView Jun 8, 2007

Thanks. XnView worked. The funny part is I'm working on the other same kind of files (being able to open) by downloading from the company server.
I don't know why I can't open this same kind of file (when it came in in the email) - I mean before.

Dominic D
Dominic D
Frankrijk
Frans naar Engels
+ ...
Problem with attachments Jun 8, 2007

Hi
I've had a lot of problems with different file formats when I try and open them directly from the email.
The only way to get round this for .tif files is to save a copy on the hard drive and then open it with Microsoft document imaging which comes with office or MS image viewer.

The only problem is that to insert it in Word you have to save each page as a different format. jpeg for example.

Canada
Lid 2009
Engels naar Koreaans
+ ...
ONDERWERPSTARTER
Microsoft document imaging which comes with office or MS image viewer Jun 8, 2007

Thanks. I saved it and try to open it. But there is no "Open with" There is only "Open" in the menu box for this file. What's the exact name of the software I need to use, please?
After I open it with a specific software, the next step is to insert it into MS Word?

The company could open it. This whole happening has to do with no Adobe Photoshop available?

tlmurray (X)
tlmurray (X)
Engels
Have to have the right software, Word filters Jun 9, 2007

The company could open it. This whole happening has to do with no Adobe Photoshop available?

No; this has to do with not having an application that deals with TIFFs as a graphic image.

Apps like Photoshop, some Microsoft apps like Paint (which is a horrible program), and others deal with graphics like TIFFs, enabling you to manipulate them directly.

When you Insert > Picture > From File, now Word comes into play. If it does not see TIFFs at all -- assuming the file is named with a dot tif extension -- then it could be that the TIFF filter was not installed. The default installation of Office does not include all filters for all graphic and document formats. It can be added later.

If it sees it and imports it but has a problem, it could be that Word does not have enough resources. Word taxes systems, and big graphics apply an even heavier tax. Further, there are many variations of TIFF, so many, in fact, that sometimes a heavyweight like Photoshop cannot open a TIFF that might be openable by some other (usually cheaper) program.

Canada
Lid 2009
Engels naar Koreaans
+ ...
ONDERWERPSTARTER
Insert > Picture > From File Jun 12, 2007

Thanks. I saved it when I rightclicked on the email attachmetn using "Save as".
My version is MS Word 2007:
Insert > Picture >Insert picture (a box for files (with File name:, File type:)
I believe this is the same path I should take as Insert > Picture > From File to find the file.

By your help, I find everybody has a differen condition for this kind of situation.

Campman
Campman  Identity Verified
Nederland
Engels naar Nederlands
+ ...
Converting tiff files to PDF files with Cute PDF Aug 11, 2009

Since I started working with Vista I have a problem reading tiff-files. Vista does not offer a standard tiff-file viewer and all tiff-reading software is picture orientated, not text orientated. This is inconvenient because a lot of picture software only recognizes the first page of the tiff-file. what if your tiff file contains 90 pages? Furthermore I don't like the way picture software is handling text files. I don't need colour schemes, contrast/brightness settings or photo galleries for my t... See more
Since I started working with Vista I have a problem reading tiff-files. Vista does not offer a standard tiff-file viewer and all tiff-reading software is picture orientated, not text orientated. This is inconvenient because a lot of picture software only recognizes the first page of the tiff-file. what if your tiff file contains 90 pages? Furthermore I don't like the way picture software is handling text files. I don't need colour schemes, contrast/brightness settings or photo galleries for my text files!

The suggestion of opening a tiff file as a picture in a word-document a VERY handy solution, but only when the tiff file contains only one page.

I now found a solution with Cute PDF, a free PDF-writer that I use to make PDFs of my word documents. I print the tiff file to PDF and I get exactly the kind of format I prefer to work with. It does takes much more space than a tiff file though.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(en) van dit forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to open .tif file

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »