Thread poster: LJC (X)
Transflux (X)
Transflux (X)
Local time: 23:18
French to English
+ ...
Yes I agree Aug 1, 2003

rzawadzk wrote:

Look like there the pins responsible for some colors do not contact. If you have another cable, try it (may be the problem with a plug itself).

The defrag cured it rather by accident.

Yes you are right. I had the same problem with my monitor on and off for ages, but I would fiddle with the connection and it cured it. Could well be a pin problem.

Antonella DI FAZIO (X)
Antonella DI FAZIO (X)
English to Italian
+ ...
Monitor problem...I'm sorry but I think you have to change it... Aug 1, 2003

When in my computer the same strangeness occurred, I had to change my monitor...or may be you could ask a computer technician to change your video card...
Good luck...

Is your monitor a LCD one???? (i suppose...)

Thijs van Dorssen
Thijs van Dorssen  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Pinky the monitor .... Aug 1, 2003

MarcPrior wrote:
I'm not sure whether Thijs is kidding

Yes I was only joking.

In this case the best solution for the pink monitor is to unplug it, go to the window, open the window (must be 2nd floor or higher) and try to hit the dustbin with the monitor. If you miss the dustbin, repeat procedure.

And when I finally do get round to selling the PC (anyone interested in a P1 133 MHz, 32 MB, 2 GB, ISDN card, scanner, Windows 95, Cologne area)?, I can prove that it works by giving the screen away with it.

That's quiet an interesting machine you have there Marc. 32 MB is l/16 of the capacity of the memory stick I carry around nowadays. (c: Do you remember we really used to work with those machines? I wonder how long it takes to boot. About 20 years ago we had a 12 GB installed in my office. It had a 433 MHz CPU. We all thought that it would be impossible to use up all of that disc space. Little did we know what was soon to come .....

I wish you luck selling that state of the art piece of computer. But I can't help feeling a little pessimistic for you. (c:

About scanning, some four weeks ago, I bought a Lexmark X74 for 99 € in a supermarket (true). The thing prints, copies and scans amd has a 2 year Vor-Ort-Austauschgarantie. It evens faxes through the computer software. It is very easy to handle which is important in my case. And I never had a printer that is as silent as this one. I fill up the cartridges myself when they are empty. 16 € for 50 refills. And it is so simple, my wife can refill the cartridges of her home printer. (o:

Have a good weekend everybody, this has been a good week for me.

Cheers,
Thijs

invguy
invguy  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 00:18
English to Bulgarian
It's most likely the cable, Lesley. Aug 1, 2003

You may have noticed that the cables between the monitor and the video card are fairly stiff. If you have had it pressed/bent e.g. against the wall for a long time, you may lose some of the signals. Usually this happens where the cable enters either the monitor, or the video card connector.

I once had a similar thing happen (noticeable monitor colour shift) because the video card was under such strain by the cable (pressed hard against the wall under a really small desk) that it tur
... See more
You may have noticed that the cables between the monitor and the video card are fairly stiff. If you have had it pressed/bent e.g. against the wall for a long time, you may lose some of the signals. Usually this happens where the cable enters either the monitor, or the video card connector.

I once had a similar thing happen (noticeable monitor colour shift) because the video card was under such strain by the cable (pressed hard against the wall under a really small desk) that it turned out its inner end was half-lifted off the slot, and contacting only by half of the contacts' surface area.

Might be the monitor, too - but monitors normally don't do this until they are at least 3-4 years old ('noname' cheapo ones might do it earlier).

The video card is the least possible of all reasons. When video cards begin to die, the problems they usually develop are of a different nature.

One thing is certain: you're losing some of the colour channel signals along the way. Let a technician have a look at it and they might just open the monitor and solder a new cable instead of the old one.

Anyway, NEVER bend or twist excessively that cable. It has been made stiff with a purpose. Never try to lay it through any cable channels or other 'aestheticizing' accessories. Just get used to the thought that behind your monitor you will always have at least one *freely* laid cable.

"Free flowing" video cables are an inherent part of office aesthetics, if you ask me...

[Edited at 2003-08-02 10:56]
Collapse

TTilch
TTilch  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Had similar problem with LCD monitor Aug 1, 2003

Hi there,

Some month ago we had a similar problem with our LCD monitor (only a few months old). The problem was with the cable, it had been twisted too much (probably right from the start) so that it was broken somehow. Whenever something hit the cable, the monitor changed color either to pink or blue. We used the guarantee service and received a replacement - no further problems now.

Best regards,

Tanja

LJC (X)
LJC (X)
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The plug is suspect - pins missing Aug 2, 2003

Since reading all your suggestions about the cable, I've had a closer look and discovered that there are three pins missing from the plug, so I will buy a new one next week and hope that solves the problem. (It would be nice if the cheapest solution works, but I don't normally have that sort of luck!) I'll let you know if it works, but I won't be able to go shopping before Wednesday.

Meanwhile, I've managed to adjust something to make the pink paler, so it's a little more bearable
... See more
Since reading all your suggestions about the cable, I've had a closer look and discovered that there are three pins missing from the plug, so I will buy a new one next week and hope that solves the problem. (It would be nice if the cheapest solution works, but I don't normally have that sort of luck!) I'll let you know if it works, but I won't be able to go shopping before Wednesday.

Meanwhile, I've managed to adjust something to make the pink paler, so it's a little more bearable.

Thank you all so much for your suggestions, I'd be totally lost without this sort of help.
Collapse

Diditwork (X)
Diditwork (X)
English
edge of my seat?! Nov 20, 2008

For 5 long years I've waited for you to come back from your wednesday shopping trip! wat was the issue?

Is it resolved?

LJC (X)
LJC (X)
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Fives years later ... Nov 20, 2008

Good grief! Are you working your way through the forum back numbers?

The monitor got sent to the graveyard after sitting in the junk room for a few years - and so did that lovely new computer after it was mortally wounded in a crash last year (RIP).

Good luck trawling through the forums.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Everything's gone pink (monitor)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »