Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch
Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:05
German to Spanish
Or... Nov 8, 2013

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

The problem now is I will need a 17 inch laptop, because only those have extended keyboards which I need for the shortcuts in various software, and I'm used to the screen.

you buy a 13" one + a good monitor (I have DELL matt 27") + external Keyboard.

So at home you don't need to open the laptop and for traveling you have a small and light device.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 14:05
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Won't do Nov 8, 2013

Fernando Toledo wrote:

you buy a 13" one + a good monitor (I have DELL matt 27") + external Keyboard.

So at home you don't need to open the laptop and for traveling you have a small and light device.

I use external keyboard and roller mouse and second monitor in any case, but when I travel or work at the cottage I use the laptop keyboard. 17 inch it shall be.

IrimiConsulting
IrimiConsulting  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2010)
English to Swedish
+ ...
I would put thin, self-adhesive plastic on the screen Nov 9, 2013

If you absolutely need a matte screen and there are no 17" laptops with matte screens, I would buy a roll of self-adhesive plastic (called "kartplast" in Swedish"), cut a piece to size and fit it. It sits well and voids no warranties.

And on the original topic: I will always only buy computers with SSDs. Having lived with two computers upgraded with SSDs, temporarily using a newer (by more than two years!) computer with only mechanical counterparts was not pretty at all.

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Updating my computer Dec 9, 2013

After all I decided to keep my laptop HP 4720S with 17" screen and change only the boot disc from HDD to SSD.
Today I'm the owner of a much faster machine and have all my data unchanged.

I purchased a Samsung SSD 500 GB for less than 300 Euro at Amazon.de. Other retailers sell the same item for almost 500 Euro. At the same time I bought additional memory, 4 GB Corsair for 32 Euro.
When the items arrived I noticed I still needed a cable SATA-USB. Also this was much cheap
... See more
After all I decided to keep my laptop HP 4720S with 17" screen and change only the boot disc from HDD to SSD.
Today I'm the owner of a much faster machine and have all my data unchanged.

I purchased a Samsung SSD 500 GB for less than 300 Euro at Amazon.de. Other retailers sell the same item for almost 500 Euro. At the same time I bought additional memory, 4 GB Corsair for 32 Euro.
When the items arrived I noticed I still needed a cable SATA-USB. Also this was much cheaper at Amazon than at computer shops.

I got the service manual from HP and printed the pages that I would needed. I also had to buy a set of tiny screw-drivers.

The first time after cloning Windows to SSD and exchanging the drives I got intimidated by a screen on start-up. It said the hardware had been changed and I should get advice from my system administrator. The machine would not boot from SSD. I swapped the HDD in place again and looked for advice on the net. I made also a boot disc on dvd, so if nothing would work I could make a clean install of Windows 7 on SSD.

When today I had again cloned and backupped my system, I swapped the hdd to ssd and got the same screen. I scanned all options in BIOS but could not find anything that was wrong. So I booted from DVD and then, when Windows asked for options, I chose "Repair computer". Only a few seconds later Windows booted from SSD and all my data was there. I could right away install my licences for Trados and Studio and are now ready for work in 8 GB RAM.

Probably I could have got at the same result without the boot-disc, only selecting "Repair computer" from the start-up screen.

What a relief!

[Bearbeitet am 2013-12-09 09:16 GMT]
Collapse

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Disk clones need ther original environment Dec 10, 2013

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

The first time after cloning Windows to SSD and exchanging the drives I got intimidated by a screen on start-up. It said the hardware had been changed and I should get advice from my system administrator.

That was to be expected. A clone will behave just like the original, i. e. in your case it wanted to boot from the HD which wasn't at the original place anymore.

The Repair function replaced the non-functional boot data on your SSD.

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wiser now too Dec 10, 2013

Rolf Keller wrote:

That was to be expected. A clone will behave just like the original, i. e. in your case it wanted to boot from the HD which wasn't at the original place anymore.

The Repair function replaced the non-functional boot data on your SSD.

I had read all about the process, but nothing had me prepared for this. That's why I mentioned it in this update post. Choose "Repair Windows" and all is well.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SSD any use for us?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »