ناشر الموضوع: Mike Hunter (X)
Mike Hunter (X)
Mike Hunter (X)
المملكة المتحدة
Local time: 09:45
أنجليزي إلى فلمنكي
+ ...
Sep 13, 2011

Hi Everyone, we are looking seriously at the possibility of using cloud hosting for e-mail. I am however a bit concerned that both Google and Microsoft 365 might cause formatting problems with office applications sent and received as attachments. Do any translators or translation companies have good or bad experiences of either service?

Also interested to know whether people have experience of using Google docs, or the online version of Microsoft 365. Any formatting issues here, als
... See more
Hi Everyone, we are looking seriously at the possibility of using cloud hosting for e-mail. I am however a bit concerned that both Google and Microsoft 365 might cause formatting problems with office applications sent and received as attachments. Do any translators or translation companies have good or bad experiences of either service?

Also interested to know whether people have experience of using Google docs, or the online version of Microsoft 365. Any formatting issues here, also with converting files to/from office applications, or with CAT tools?

My suspicion is that the online versions are probably not suffisticated enough yet to be a good translation environment, as there could be formatting issues and a lack of functionality, e.g. with editting, tracked changes, and complex file formats.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Collapse

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
فرنسا
Local time: 10:45
فرنسي إلى أنجليزي
google docs Sep 13, 2011

I have experience working with google docs spreadsheets, when they are converted back and forth to excel, certain formatting settings get screwed up (dates, numbers...). Hope this is the kind of information you were looking for

Mike Hunter (X)
Mike Hunter (X)
المملكة المتحدة
Local time: 09:45
أنجليزي إلى فلمنكي
+ ...
بادئ الموضوع
Google doc spreadsheets and formatting Sep 14, 2011

Hi Lori

Thanks, that's exactly the kind of feedback I was asking for. My suspicion is that formatting will be a problem with all the Google online services, probably not for the average user, but for translators because of the type of complex formatting and document layouts that are often needed. Would also like to know if the Microsoft product is better. I suspect it will be an improvement, but also cause issues for translators.

Regards

Mike

cranium
cranium
فرنسي إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
Mail attachment problem Sep 14, 2011

Another problem is that you cannot attach a Google doc to a gmail message. You have to print the doc as a PDF, then attach it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using Office applications in the cloud

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »