does language pack 2010 work in office 2007?
Thread poster: Julia Esrom
Julia Esrom
Julia Esrom  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:53
German to English
+ ...
Nov 14, 2011

I'd like to add the German proofing tool to an English version of Microsoft Office 2007. Microsoft doesn't seem to offer any more language packs for Office 2007. Can I simply download the language pack 2010 and use it with Office 2007 or do I have to buy Office 2010?

Thanks for any thoughts.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
I don't know Nov 15, 2011

Julia Esrom wrote:

I'd like to add the German proofing tool to an English version of Microsoft Office 2007. Microsoft doesn't seem to offer any more language packs for Office 2007. Can I simply download the language pack 2010 and use it with Office 2007 or do I have to buy Office 2010?

Thanks for any thoughts.

But from my experience of Microsoft's wares, I'd say "probably not".

Alma de Kok
Alma de Kok  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
Polish to Dutch
+ ...
Agree Nov 15, 2011

I agree with neilmac. I am quite furious about this. A licence costs a lot of money.. I bought 2007 and used 2003 proffing tools with that (under Visat). Recently I switched computers ($$), I now use a Windows 7 computer. The trick with 2003 proofing tools did not work. I had three options, buy 2010 (while my 2007 is still very functional), download an illegal language pack for 2007, or go without a dictionary for my native language (I work on a Polish computer), which is necessary for cooperati... See more
I agree with neilmac. I am quite furious about this. A licence costs a lot of money.. I bought 2007 and used 2003 proffing tools with that (under Visat). Recently I switched computers ($$), I now use a Windows 7 computer. The trick with 2003 proofing tools did not work. I had three options, buy 2010 (while my 2007 is still very functional), download an illegal language pack for 2007, or go without a dictionary for my native language (I work on a Polish computer), which is necessary for cooperation with other programs (a.o. Nemo for trademarks). I was not happy, because I already upgraded other programs ($$).
Most people/clients still use Office 2003, and now I am forced to buy 2010, because of these proofing tools/language packs.
Collapse

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:53
Italian to English
Language Packs for 2007 here Nov 15, 2011

I found this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972813

However, the packs are only available for Ultimate and Enterprise versions.
Upgrades to Ultimate from Home Premium cost GBP125, so it isn't going to be cheap.

Julia Esrom
Julia Esrom  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks to all Nov 16, 2011

Thanks to everyone for their input. So much for globalization and Microsoft claiming to make life easy. Making software more inclusive linguistically rather than the opposite might have been a step into "good globalisation". Perhaps the Duden proofing tool will do the job. I remember some hick-ups with Trados when I tried this with the older versions a few years ago. I'll keep you posted once I have an answer. Sooner or later the time will come to upgrade (oops, not upgrade but buy new!) to Offi... See more
Thanks to everyone for their input. So much for globalization and Microsoft claiming to make life easy. Making software more inclusive linguistically rather than the opposite might have been a step into "good globalisation". Perhaps the Duden proofing tool will do the job. I remember some hick-ups with Trados when I tried this with the older versions a few years ago. I'll keep you posted once I have an answer. Sooner or later the time will come to upgrade (oops, not upgrade but buy new!) to Office 2010. Happy translating!Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

does language pack 2010 work in office 2007?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »