1000 rows limit in Word tables (bilingual DOCX)
Persoa que publicou o fío: Philippe Noth
Philippe Noth
Philippe Noth  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 12:46
Membro (2015)
German to French
+ ...
Jul 1

Hi everyone,

I've encountered this issue multiple times in the past, and I think it's about time I find a solution or workaround.

When exporting a translation as a bilingual DOCX for further operations—in my case, pasting all the translated content from Phrase into Antidote—has anyone noticed that the document is composed of tables that break every 1000 rows? After that, a new table begins.

proz

This makes it difficult to copy and paste only the target text. I've sometimes had to copy and paste 10 times the target row (1-1000, 1001-2000…) in a blank document to get the complete target. Today, I have a document with 44 tables, I need a smarter way to do it.

Any suggestions or solutions would be greatly appreciated!

--
Philippe

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:46
Danish to English
+ ...
Yes Jul 1

Yes. This is a 'feechur' of Memsource/Phrase. memoQ doesn't do that. It's annoying, not least if you want to select only the target column for spellchecking it.

I can create a table with 2000 rows in a new Word document, so this must be an arbitrary Phrase limit.

If you have memoQ or Trados, you can work with Phrase's mxliff files in these other CAT tools and just export the final result for Phrase upload.

[Edited at 2024-07-01 17:27 GMT]

Philippe Noth

Philippe Noth
Switzerland
Membro (2015)
German to French
+ ...
INICIO DE TEMA
Easy with Studio Jul 1

Thomas T. Frost wrote:
Yes. This is a 'feechur' of Memsource/Phrase. memoQ doesn't do that. It's annoying, not least if you want to select only the target column for spellchecking it.

I can create a table with 2000 rows in a new Word document, so this must be an arbitrary Phrase limit.

If you have memoQ or Trados, you can work in Phrase's mxliff files in these other CAT tools and just export the final result for Phrase upload.

Thanks Thomas, I was able to easily copy and paste the target text using Studio. For some reason, I had imagined this limit to be inherent to the bilingual DOCX specification.

--
Philippe

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 13:46
English to Russian
Remove line breaks Jul 1

You can remove line breaks between the tables and then, once you are done with QA, insert them back (with the Split Table command in MS Word).

You can even use the Find feature to remove the line breaks. It won't be long because paragraph marks are not used in the 2-column grid except for a couple of paragraph marks at the very beginning and those you need to remove.

[Edited at 2024-07-01 21:38 GMT]
Collapse

Philippe Noth

Philippe Noth
Switzerland
Membro (2015)
German to French
+ ...
INICIO DE TEMA
Great solution too Jul 2

Stepan Konev wrote:

You can remove line breaks between the tables and then, once you are done with QA, insert them back (with the Split Table command in MS Word).

You can even use the Find feature to remove the line breaks. It won't be long because paragraph marks are not used in the 2-column grid except for a couple of paragraph marks at the very beginning and those you need to remove.

[Edited at 2024-07-01 21:38 GMT]

Thanks Stepan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

1000 rows limit in Word tables (bilingual DOCX)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »