Thread poster: Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:28
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 29, 2011

Posts like this one should NOT be allowed on this site. There should be a delete button with a vote of three members (certified ProZ if necessary) required to automatically delete job posts such as these:

Dear colleagues,

[the people I consider my "colleagues" would NEVER do what you are doing! Please refrain from patronizing.]

I have prepared a team of translators for this big project that have to be translated in a very short time (2 weeks for around 270
... See more
Posts like this one should NOT be allowed on this site. There should be a delete button with a vote of three members (certified ProZ if necessary) required to automatically delete job posts such as these:

Dear colleagues,

[the people I consider my "colleagues" would NEVER do what you are doing! Please refrain from patronizing.]

I have prepared a team of translators for this big project that have to be translated in a very short time (2 weeks for around 270000 words) but to be sure I can finish in time I need to increase the number by one or two people.

[Why would you accept such a huge project and not have a team of tested translators in place and negotiate a deadline that allows you to provide a quality translation? Does your client know that this project is being thrown together by people you do not even know by the least expensive translators you can find? Are you being misleading or dishonest with your client?]

The document is a call for tender and the reason for the very short turn around time is that the client needs to read the call for tender in English before writing his tender.

[Poor planning on their part does not equal an emergency (or cause for a discount) on my part. I wonder how organized they will be when it comes time to pay? Of course, it is stupid of me to believe you would have the cash on hand to cover the balance should something go wrong?]

Please answer with following information :
- how many words you can process until september 8.

[I do not "process" words. I am not a machine. ]

- your best rate, knowing that because of the high volume, I had to lower my rates for the client, so you should prepare to indicate your best rate for a high volume.

[I do not have to be "prepare" for anything. A large project is MORE work and therefore no discount is justified for high volume. You are also requesting RUSH work which is cause for an additional SURCHARGE, not an additional DISCOUNT. My best rate would not be the one most beneficial to you. Even if I did have tiered rates, why does your company deserve my "best" one? This is very predatory. You are preying on people who are desperate for work - don't quote too high or you won't get the job... You did not "have to" lower your rates, you CHOSE to do so in order to scam the client into giving you the project without, apparently, having the necessary resources to do so properly and at a rate that does not require you to beg on the street corner for day laborers (on whose "expertise" you base the entire reputation of your company since your command of English, and therefore your ability to evaluate the into-English translation, is manifestly deficient.]

There are good chances that this will not be the only project of this size with this client, so you can expect a long term ROI if you manage to lower the rate enough to be selected in the group.

[Bribery works every time. Too bad this statement reeks.]

Note: I hereby officially coin the term "predatory agency".

[Edited at 2011-08-29 14:56 GMT]
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:28
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I agree with Jeff Aug 29, 2011

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

A large project is MORE work and therefore no discount is justified for high volume.

I agree, Jeff. I've never been able to understand the logic that lies behind the proposition of doing more work for less money.

Alexander Onishko
Alexander Onishko  Identity Verified
Russian to English
+ ...
What is even more intriguing in all this... Aug 29, 2011

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

Posts like this one should NOT be allowed on this site. A vote of three members should be enough to automatically delete job posts such as these:

Dear colleagues,

[the people I consider my "colleagues" would NEVER do what you are doing!]

I have prepared a team of translators for this big project that have to be translated in a very short time (2 weeks for around 270000 words) but to be sure I can finish in time I need to increase the number by one or two people.

What is even more intriguing in all this, is that they probably do not have that 270000 word project

Alexander Onishko
Alexander Onishko  Identity Verified
Russian to English
+ ...
pedlar logic Aug 29, 2011

Tom in London wrote:

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

A large project is MORE work and therefore no discount is justified for high volume.

I agree, Jeff. I've never been able to understand the logic that lies behind the proposition of doing more work for less money.

That's pedlar logic. Previously that guy was selling goods in the streets and now he opened a translation office. Therefore, he knows what a wholesale discount is, but that's almost all he knows as far as trade is concerned.

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
English to French
+ ...
Hit Delete Aug 29, 2011

Isn't because of this type of messages that the Delete key was invented?

Hepburn
Hepburn  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 05:28
English to French
+ ...
Sharing your thoughts on the matter Aug 29, 2011

No logic at all in that attitude, I agree Jeff.

I thought there was something wrong with me when instead of rushing to "find" a partner translator to help out, I always ended up by thinking about my regular clients who have been sending me work at regular intervals and for years - whom I would have to drop, just for a lower paid offer and to please someone who has no consideration for what my work and time are worth.

In fact, I am not really looking for huge tasks whic
... See more
No logic at all in that attitude, I agree Jeff.

I thought there was something wrong with me when instead of rushing to "find" a partner translator to help out, I always ended up by thinking about my regular clients who have been sending me work at regular intervals and for years - whom I would have to drop, just for a lower paid offer and to please someone who has no consideration for what my work and time are worth.

In fact, I am not really looking for huge tasks which usually mean, lack of sleep, stress, no time to live normally for a week or more and are sometimes quite boring. So thanks for the favour!

I agree that a high volume does not justif lower rates. Besides, I object very much to working as a team who is not really a team, with the usual rush and no time left to make sure the work is consistent throughout and in a quiet not hectic manner.

But, what can be done? Can ProZ do something about that? Doubt it.

Keep smiling though,

Claudette

[Edited at 2011-08-29 15:00 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-08-29 15:02 GMT]
Collapse

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
delete key Aug 29, 2011

Exactly. I would like a "vote for delete" key to be added to all job posts. ProZ cannot control the marketplace, but it should not be a place where predatory practices (both with regard to translation clients and translators) are tolerated and encouraged.

ProZ should be a model of what the translation industry should and could be. It should not assist in the exploitation and victimization of others. It should not assist in the (perceived) degradation of rates and working conditions
... See more
Exactly. I would like a "vote for delete" key to be added to all job posts. ProZ cannot control the marketplace, but it should not be a place where predatory practices (both with regard to translation clients and translators) are tolerated and encouraged.

ProZ should be a model of what the translation industry should and could be. It should not assist in the exploitation and victimization of others. It should not assist in the (perceived) degradation of rates and working conditions (deadlines) even if such things currently seem to be inevitable.

Anonymity should also be forbidden as it serves no purpose on a business website.

JL01 wrote:

Isn't because of this type of messages that the Delete key was invented?

[Edited at 2011-08-29 15:40 GMT]
Collapse

Jaume de Marcos Andreu
Jaume de Marcos Andreu
Spain
Local time: 05:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
Like/Dislike button Aug 30, 2011

Rather than a vote to delete job posts, I would rather support a like/dislike button and a ranking system so that better offers or the most reliable agencies get higher visibility, whereas suspicious or unreliable posters get lower rankings and visibility. It would be helpful for Proz.com users, and some agencies would take notice that their poor practices are being punished by the community.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Job requests like these should be DELETED from the site

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »