Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:05
English to German
+ ...
the topic Dec 9, 2014

Katarzyna Slowikova wrote:

Vadim Kadyrov wrote:

This is an agency from one of the Scandinavian countries.

I believe this person is simply gathering CVs of translators.

This is interesting and worrying too.
How come it didn't catch anybody's attention?? Instead you're discussing rates, as if there was anything new to be said in this matter.... and as if it was the subject of the original post.
The fact this agency (of whatever kind) offers above average rates makes Vadim's suggestion even more plausible, imho. A new incarnation of identity theft scammers?
Doesn't THIS worry you?

Btw. how did you Vadim establish their location? Just some info on their website or something more sophisticated (I'm lame, sorry)?

The topic of the thread is "Does Proz check job posters?" We should be able to discuss what it is that Proz.com is and what it isn't checking about job posters because - as you can see above - they are checking, and whether this checking makes a difference for translators who seek adequately paid projects and best business practices at a site that calls itself "ProZ".com. And adequate rates are a very important part of our profession, but job posters are allowed to propose any rate, as low as they want, albeit optionally, on the job board, although it is us, the service providers, who should be deciding what we charge. Even the 80% warning attached to many of these posts doesn't seem to stop the onslaught of more and even lower "offers" of that kind on this portal. So someone must be accepting these offers. Especially new translators should know what is going on with regard to unprofessional rates. I hold that job posts/posters should be checked for unprofessional rate proposals and such postings should be vetted and rejected.
And the fact that rates are going down and IMO new tricks (post-editing MT for peanuts and CV hunting for illegal use) are possibly being applied, is worth being debated, no, let me rephrase that, should be debated every day. There are quite a few new things with regard to rates and other factors that have an impact on our profession in general and each and every translator's livelihood. I'm not going to be nonchalant about unprofessional practices and stand idly by as if there's nothing wrong with it.

[Edited at 2014-12-09 17:41 GMT]

Katarzyna Slowikova
Katarzyna Slowikova  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:05
English to Czech
+ ...
it's wrong versus criminal Dec 9, 2014

@Bernhard Sulzer
Of course, there's a lot wrong with the low rates but like it or not, it's legal, whereas identity theft (if that's the case here) is CRIMINAL and imho also much more dangerous (and interesting than endless complaints about low rates - providing you're not a victim, of course).
If anybody of those who know which agency it was has any data to justify this suspicion, ma
... See more
@Bernhard Sulzer
Of course, there's a lot wrong with the low rates but like it or not, it's legal, whereas identity theft (if that's the case here) is CRIMINAL and imho also much more dangerous (and interesting than endless complaints about low rates - providing you're not a victim, of course).
If anybody of those who know which agency it was has any data to justify this suspicion, maybe you should contact http://www.translator-scammers.com/
Collapse

Katarzyna Slowikova
Katarzyna Slowikova  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:05
English to Czech
+ ...
sorry for posting twice, something went wrong :// Dec 9, 2014

@Bernhard Sulzer
If anybody of those who know which agency it was has any data to justify this suspicion, maybe you should contact http://www.translator-scammers.com/

And btw. I remember answering one of those "ghost outsourcers" job posting, saying I'm gonna send them my CV as soon as they tell me who they are. Never heard from them again.

[Edited at 2014-12-09 17:34 GMT]

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:05
English to German
+ ...
Is it professional?! Dec 9, 2014

@Bernhard Sulzer

And btw. I remember answering one of those "ghost outsourcers" job posting, saying I'm gonna send them my CV as soon as they tell me who they are. Never heard from them again.

[Edited at 2014-12-09 17:34 GMT]

The question to me is not if it's legal or not (even though I wish it would be illegal if someone offers you a job here obviously undercutting 80 percent of all other translators who have reported rates - and those reported rates aren't even anything near excellent rates). The question to me is if it is a professional rate and if it should be posted on a site that calls itself professional. Let's not pretend we're all professionals here and then we look on as thousands of fly-by-night translators keep accepting such lowball offers made by job posters here and when they are broke they just shake the next person's hand as they meet at the swing doors and wish them good luck?!

And I don't have to like it and I don't have to accept it. Endless (futile) complaining about rates it isn't either. Why should I stop complaining and accept the fact that these things are going on on this site where many of us pay money for and want to appear as members of a community of professionals? Why should I accept that I might get contacted by fewer and fewer clients because it's so easy to find someone that does it for less? This ain't no competition. This is IMHO exploitation and people are falling for it every day (my opinion!) I'm not going to be silent about it just because some people are tired of talking about it. But hey, you can write here what you think, and I do the same.

[Edited at 2014-12-09 18:06 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does Proz check job posters?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »