For matters related to payments, access to training sessions and technical issues, please submit a support request for faster assistance.
SDL Trados now runs natively on Mac OS? Confusing thumbnail
Thread poster: Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 16:55
English to French
+ ...
Apr 19, 2022

I think I missed something; AFAIK SDL Trados runs only on natively Windows. The only way to have it run on a MAC would be inside a Virtual Machine running Windows.
However, browsing I stumbled upon this training page on ProZ where every thumbnail clearly shows an Apple Keyboard being used (CMD key). Does this seem confusing to you? https://training.proz.com/cat-tool-training

It’s highly unlikely that SDL will ever run natively on MAC because of the programming language used to write the tool (beside it being a good tool). Unless there was a big change that I’ve missed, it’s still the case.
I wouldn’t be surprised to see a thumbnail such as this for cross-platform desktop tools like (from A to Z) CafeTran, OmegaT or Wordfast Pro.
Collapse

Evdoxia Renta
Evdoxia Renta
United Kingdom
English to Greek
+ ...
Re: Apr 19, 2022

Nah, they just used the wrong image

Philippe Locquet

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 18:55
English to Russian
If it was true, Apr 19, 2022

they would put it in big bold letters everywhere in their 'Infographic' and other promo materials. Just a marketing cheat.

Philippe Locquet
Tom in London

Philippe Locquet
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
MS .NET Apr 19, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:

they would put it in big bold letters everywhere in their 'Infographic' and other promo materials. Just a marketing cheat.

That's exactly what I thought. SDL is programmed based on Microsoft components, this doc https://docs.rws.com/binary/813470/807239/trados-studio-2021-sr2/sdl-trados-studio-installation-guide? on page 17 (23 of the pdf) under "Prerequisite software" shows that you need to have these Microsoft components present to execute the software.
To make it cross-platform would mean a rewrite of the tool which would be a massive undertaking, it's probably easier to go web-based. So, I think it's highly unlikely this will ever happen, but again, you never know 😉…

Philippe Locquet
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Fast! Apr 20, 2022

Wow, they just updated all thumbnails with a PC keyboard
https://training.proz.com/cat-tool-training

Thanks ProZ! Fast fix. Kudos.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Helen Shepelenko[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados now runs natively on Mac OS? Confusing thumbnail

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »