Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 12:25
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Apr 26, 2022

I have systematically tried to tame incoming junk mail. First I stopped all hotmail messages at the server. That was not sufficient, it only halved the flood of junk mail. My last invention was to filter all subjects including **, because most messages have some language pair in the subject line. Now most translation related junk mail is filtered. Of course their is still left the usual offers for Bitcoin, cheap loans, parcels awaiting me paying something etc. but they need to be dealt with sepa... See more
I have systematically tried to tame incoming junk mail. First I stopped all hotmail messages at the server. That was not sufficient, it only halved the flood of junk mail. My last invention was to filter all subjects including **, because most messages have some language pair in the subject line. Now most translation related junk mail is filtered. Of course their is still left the usual offers for Bitcoin, cheap loans, parcels awaiting me paying something etc. but they need to be dealt with separately.Collapse

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 11:25
English to German
Let the provider do the work Apr 27, 2022

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Of course their is still left the usual offers for Bitcoin, cheap loans, parcels awaiting me paying something etc. but they need to be dealt with separately.

I use the filter function my Internet provider offers. Large providers "see" so many mails that they can easily detect spam. Anyway, I get less than four spam mails per week, so I delete them manually.

BTW, I never disclose one of my mail addresses without an important reason. Maybe that's why I get less spam? And for clients I use a separate address.

John Fossey

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 03:25
Dutch to English
+ ...
No help from browser? Apr 30, 2022

a) I do the same as Rolf, I'm careful about giving out my email address.
b) I have a separate email address for 'work' emails.
c) My browser (Thunderbird) is set to send spam directly to the 'junk' folder. After a while this feature has become more and more adept at knowing what I consider spam; for example, 'translation' is ok but 'translator' is spam. When it's not sure, I get a message: "Thunderbird thinks this message is spam". Having spam sent to a separate folder, still gives
... See more
a) I do the same as Rolf, I'm careful about giving out my email address.
b) I have a separate email address for 'work' emails.
c) My browser (Thunderbird) is set to send spam directly to the 'junk' folder. After a while this feature has become more and more adept at knowing what I consider spam; for example, 'translation' is ok but 'translator' is spam. When it's not sure, I get a message: "Thunderbird thinks this message is spam". Having spam sent to a separate folder, still gives me the option to do a quick scan before I delete it all.
d) My browser has an option to tell other websites not to track me.
e) In my inbox, I can create separate folders, for example a folder for a regular client, and I can tag emails in different colors, according to whether they are 'important', 'to do', 'keep', or 'archive' (and I can add more categories at any time). Other programs may have stars or other ways to mark your emails.
f) Last but not least, at the end of the week, I do a final cleaning of my recycle bin, emails, and telephone.
Maybe there are some suggestions here that you can use.

I'm a fan of Thunderbird and Firefox because they are free, independent, and actively involved in keeping the internet open for everyone.

[Edited at 2022-04-30 16:12 GMT]
Collapse

Mr. Satan (X)

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:25
German to English
My spam filter failed me twice this past week. Apr 30, 2022

I have a variety of filters for both my personal and business accounts. Thunderbird is my email client, and I'm generally happy with it. My main customers use templates for their job offers that haven't changed in years. For some reason the filters classified two offers as spam. There was nothing in the texts that should have triggered an action by the filters, but I was reminded of the necessity to check my spam folders regularly.

(edited to change Firebird [browser name] to Thunde
... See more
I have a variety of filters for both my personal and business accounts. Thunderbird is my email client, and I'm generally happy with it. My main customers use templates for their job offers that haven't changed in years. For some reason the filters classified two offers as spam. There was nothing in the texts that should have triggered an action by the filters, but I was reminded of the necessity to check my spam folders regularly.

(edited to change Firebird [browser name] to Thunderbird.

[Edited at 2022-05-01 17:20 GMT]
Collapse

Mr. Satan (X)

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 12:25
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The special characters did not show in the text May 1, 2022

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

I have systematically tried to tame incoming junk mail. First I stopped all hotmail messages at the server. That was not sufficient, it only halved the flood of junk mail. My last invention was to filter all subjects including **, because most messages have some language pair in the subject line. Now most translation related junk mail is filtered. Of course their is still left the usual offers for Bitcoin, cheap loans, parcels awaiting me paying something etc. but they need to be dealt with separately.

The filter was *less than more than*
The characters don't show up here.
My email address is the same since ages and it was visible on many places, so I get really lots of junk mail, but I don't want to change to another address. Thunderbird filters most of them automatically, but every day there were tens of junk messages I had to scan for something maybe not junk. That's why I tried to stop most of them at the server.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:25
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Me too May 1, 2022

Tina Vonhof wrote:

I'm a fan of Thunderbird and Firefox because they are free, independent, and actively involved in keeping the internet open for everyone.

Me too, for the same reasons

Mr. Satan (X)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Relieved somewhat

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »