Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Online accounts security, two factor authentication, authenticator apps… Needed? Do you Use them?
Thread poster: Philippe Locquet
Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:02
Member (2008)
Italian to English
My answers Aug 29, 2023

1. Do you feel it’s important to use hardened security? NO
2. Are there other useful options that are not in the list above? I DON'T KNOW OF ANY
3. Do you find it hard to understand how these work? YES

Philippe Locquet

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
What Aug 29, 2023

neilmac wrote:

I don't usually mind two factor authentication

I don't even know what it is. And before you explain: I don't WANT to know what it is.

Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
2FA definition Aug 29, 2023

A good point that has been raised is that some people don't actually know/understand what two factor autentication is.
I'll just copy-paste the definition given from the kaspersky page I had quoted before since I think it simplifies this a lot.

Quote:
Users need two-factor authentication for more reliable protection of their accounts: while each individual authentication method is vulnerable, two (or more) of them used together make account-takeover a lot more difficult.
... See more
A good point that has been raised is that some people don't actually know/understand what two factor autentication is.
I'll just copy-paste the definition given from the kaspersky page I had quoted before since I think it simplifies this a lot.

Quote:
Users need two-factor authentication for more reliable protection of their accounts: while each individual authentication method is vulnerable, two (or more) of them used together make account-takeover a lot more difficult.
One-time codes delivered by SMS, email or voice call
One of the most common two-factor authentication mechanisms for sign-in validation are one-time codes. These are usually sent in a text message to the phone number specified during registration. Email can be used for it as well but is less popular. Major services usually also provide the option of a voice call to the phone number specified upon registration.

Whatever the delivery channel used, the idea is the same: to verify your ability to get access to some other account or phone number you specified when signing up for the service. Thus, if someone steals your password while having no access to your phone, this protection will work just fine.
End of quote
That's it in a nutshell. The second-factor has to be something else (different e-mail account, SMS, authenticator App, Yubikey...).
Collapse

Josephine Cassar
expressisverbis
Mr. Satan (X)

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 10:02
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
How access to my bank account works Aug 30, 2023

1. I go to my bank's account webpage and enter my user name.
2.a I then see a multicoloured "QR" pattern (it's not a QR code, I just don't know what it's called).
2.b I have a device that I need to scan this code with.
3. The device then generates an I believe 9-digit code.
4. I enter the generated code on the account webpage.

I could have chosen the bank's app, but I preferred the business solution with the external paid device.

Philippe Locquet

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Online accounts security, two factor authentication, authenticator apps… Needed? Do you Use them?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »