Marcos Zattar
Duitsland
Local time: 02:51
Lid 2007
Duits naar Portugees
+ ...
Oct 9, 2008

Hello,

I teach a translation course and I am in need of a sort of presentation software which can serve as a dynamic blackboard. The idea is to use a laptop and a projector to show the translations of the students. The software I am looking for should allow to:

- group words together in nuclei
- to move these nuclei around in the setence
- maybe some other nice functions to deal with text and words

The goal is to make the course more visual and
... See more
Hello,

I teach a translation course and I am in need of a sort of presentation software which can serve as a dynamic blackboard. The idea is to use a laptop and a projector to show the translations of the students. The software I am looking for should allow to:

The goal is to make the course more visual and more dynamic.

I would appreciate some tips!

Regards,
Marcos
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Engels naar Hongaars
+ ...
... Oct 9, 2008

The software I am looking for should allow to:

MS Word?

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:51
Engels naar Frans
+ ...
You could try some mind-mapping software Oct 10, 2008

I have been using mind mapping for quite a while for project management and for general organization of everyday life - to me, it is so much better than a spreadsheet, an agenda or even a smart phone. One of the freeware mind-mapping software I tried is Cayra. What I like about it is that fields don't necessarily have to be linked to some other field, so you can very easily add fields, add the content to the field and then move fields around at your heart's content with your mouse. You can also ... See more
I have been using mind mapping for quite a while for project management and for general organization of everyday life - to me, it is so much better than a spreadsheet, an agenda or even a smart phone. One of the freeware mind-mapping software I tried is Cayra. What I like about it is that fields don't necessarily have to be linked to some other field, so you can very easily add fields, add the content to the field and then move fields around at your heart's content with your mouse. You can also choose colours for fields, so you can colour-code fields by content if you wish - for example, verbs are green, nouns are pink, adjectives are blue, etc.

The software wasn't made with your purpose in mind, but I really think you should give it a try. For what you want to do, this may be the fastest and most efficient solution, and I know that many businesses use it with a projector for brain-storming sessions and project team meetings. It looks good and simple enough to be displayed using a projector.

For some reason, the cayra.net website is not responding at the moment, so I couldn't paste a direct link to it. However, you can download Cayra here: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Others/Home-Education/Cayra.shtml

All the best!
Collapse

Anmol
Anmol
Local time: 06:21
Couldn't download from here either Oct 10, 2008

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

For some reason, the cayra.net website is not responding at the moment, so I couldn't paste a direct link to it. However, you can download Cayra here: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Others/Home-Education/Cayra.shtml

Thanks for this link, Viktoria. I've seen a friend adopt this mind-mapping technique during a meeting, and was suitably impressed. I look forward to trying it out as well. The link you've provided above does not seem to respond either, however.

Marcos Zattar
Marcos Zattar
Duitsland
Lid 2007
Duits naar Portugees
+ ...
ONDERWERPSTARTER
Excel might be an option Oct 10, 2008

Hello

Farkas, Word seems to be a bit too crude for the stuff I am looking for. But I did some tests with Excel and I am quite pleased. It does not give me this "moving parts of setence" function I am looking for, but it allows me to quickly sort the setences of a text like this:

1 Line 1, original
2 Line 1, student A
3 Line 1, student B
4 Line 1, student C
5 Line 2, original
6 Line 2, student A
7 Line 2, student B
8 Line 2,
... See more
Hello

Farkas, Word seems to be a bit too crude for the stuff I am looking for. But I did some tests with Excel and I am quite pleased. It does not give me this "moving parts of setence" function I am looking for, but it allows me to quickly sort the setences of a text like this:

1 Line 1, original
2 Line 1, student A
3 Line 1, student B
4 Line 1, student C
5 Line 2, original
6 Line 2, student A
7 Line 2, student B
8 Line 2, student C

and so on...

Applying colors to them make it look preety good!

Viktoria: thanks for the link. I checked the site and the screenshot is quite nice. Maybe it would fit my needs. I will try it this weekend and then post my feedback.

All the best!
Marcos
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Nederland
Lid 2006
Engels naar Afrikaans
+ ...
FreeMind Oct 10, 2008

Marcos de Miranda Zattar wrote:
The software I am looking for should allow to:

As with Viktoria, my first thought was also mind mapping software. I'm not sure how "dynamic" minds maps would be for your purpose, but as a means to produce useful slides it can be very useful (you can export from a mind map program to JPG or SVG or something). Try FreeMind. http://freemind.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:51
Engels naar Frans
+ ...
Cayra on download.com Oct 10, 2008

This link should work: http://www.download.com/Cayra/3000-2076_4-10777905.html?tag=mncol&cdlPid=10814198

After testing half a dozen mind-mapping software, FreeMind is my favorite as well. It is awesome for what I need to do with it. But in FreeMind, each node has to be linked to some other node, and you can't detach them (so, you wouldn't be a
... See more
This link should work: http://www.download.com/Cayra/3000-2076_4-10777905.html?tag=mncol&cdlPid=10814198

After testing half a dozen mind-mapping software, FreeMind is my favorite as well. It is awesome for what I need to do with it. But in FreeMind, each node has to be linked to some other node, and you can't detach them (so, you wouldn't be able to mix and match those words).

I always keep Cayra handy for purposes other than project management and organizing. It is my favorite for anything to do with brainstorming, precisely because it is the only such software I found that lets you detach nodes or even create nodes without attaching them. So, with Cayra, you can create a bunch of nodes without linking them, and then once you are done creating all your nodes, you can link them to your heart's content and play with them like you would with a puzzle. This cannot be done in other mind-mapping software I tried - other software requires you to establish links between nodes before you even enter the content for the node. I also like the fact that with Cayra, it is the nodes themselves that are coloured by default, and not the text they contain. It is also the best looking and is very well adapted for projector viewing.

[Edited at 2008-10-10 15:26]
Collapse

Claudia Tirado (X)
Claudia Tirado (X)
Mexico
Local time: 18:51
Engels naar Spaans
Powepoint? Oct 11, 2008

Why don't you try Powerpoint? You can make really nice looking presentation and add different effects to the text.
Regards ^_^

EHI (X)
EHI (X)
OneNote Oct 11, 2008

I think Microsoft OneNote might do the job.

Marcos Zattar
Marcos Zattar
Duitsland
Lid 2007
Duits naar Portugees
+ ...
ONDERWERPSTARTER
Summing up Oct 14, 2008

@Viktoria: the idea of using mind-mapping software is indeed quite good! I did some tests with Cayra, which impressed me by its visual. still, it takes some time to insert text - there is no way of importing text to it and then cut into pieces. anyways, although not suitable for working with whole translations of 4 students, it would be good for analysing some isolated sentences.

@Samuel: exporting to jpg makes the thing "non-dynamic" again. what I need is to change the translation
... See more
@Viktoria: the idea of using mind-mapping software is indeed quite good! I did some tests with Cayra, which impressed me by its visual. still, it takes some time to insert text - there is no way of importing text to it and then cut into pieces. anyways, although not suitable for working with whole translations of 4 students, it would be good for analysing some isolated sentences.

@Samuel: exporting to jpg makes the thing "non-dynamic" again. what I need is to change the translation in "real time" together with the students. the idea of grouping parts of sentences in a chunklike fashion aims to help students to see the text not as a sequence of words, but a grouping of ideas/concepts/actions.
BTW, I found a website which analyses over 100 mindmapping programs: http://www.mind-mapping.org/mind-mapping-software/8

@Claudia: you are right, PowerPoint allows very nice look in presentations. but then, it does not allow the kind of flexibility I am looking for. unless it has some hidden functions I am not aware of

@Lutz: I checked the OneNote website and watched a presentation of how the software works. I didn't see any resource to play around with words. how would that exactly look like in OneNote?

thanks for all contributions. should you have some more ideas, I would be glad to read them!

regards
marcos
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Software to teach translation

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »