Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Help: my son (3 1/2) starts reading on his own...
Thread poster: Yolande Haneder (X)
Maurite Fober
Maurite Fober  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 03:45
English
+ ...
Why not try Montessori? and useful book. Oct 28, 2004

It must be difficult for both of you if you are at home together and he not only needs more stimulation than you have the time or ability to give, but perhaps also believes that adults don't know more than he. By the time my first boy was three we were both driving each other crazy. Fortunately I found a Montessori school which he could attend from 9am-12noon, then come home for lunch and sleep. (Later he attended for longer hours.) His going there was like pushing a magic button; they had the... See more
It must be difficult for both of you if you are at home together and he not only needs more stimulation than you have the time or ability to give, but perhaps also believes that adults don't know more than he. By the time my first boy was three we were both driving each other crazy. Fortunately I found a Montessori school which he could attend from 9am-12noon, then come home for lunch and sleep. (Later he attended for longer hours.) His going there was like pushing a magic button; they had the resources for him to explore and teachers who were experienced with bright children and could respectfully and tactfully guide them. He was positively engaged in the morning and happy to relax with me at home later. All the external drama comes from an unresolved inner tension. He really needed another adult to guide him on the next social and intellectual steps, in a world where he felt relevant, and at the same time feel confident that Mum was still his biggest supporter. Somehow he had already decided that different people were required in different compartments of his life. Once he had a world of his own to step into confidently, we were able to get on with being mother and son again. It saved our relationship.

There's also a very, very good book call "Listening so children can talk(or speak?), and talking so children will listen" (Or "How to Listen so ..."?) It's well-known amongst educators and if you can find a copy, perhaps in a library, you will be one step ahead for the rest of your life with any child.

As my mother-in-law would say 'Whatever you do, if you do it with love you can't go wrong"

Best wishes,
Maurite.
Collapse

Ana Boadla
Ana Boadla
Local time: 20:15
English to Spanish
+ ...
Let him mark the rythm Dec 19, 2004

Hello, Yolande. My case is very similar to your child's. I started to read when I was 3. I don't remember how but my mom says I used to sit close to my older brother when he was doing his homework, so I learnt by myself. No one taught me. It was very weird because they say I knew how to read even the newspaper. My teacher found out when she was reding the paper in her desk and I started to read the words, from my desk, upside down!! She was so surprised that sehe phoned my mom. After studying m... See more
Hello, Yolande. My case is very similar to your child's. I started to read when I was 3. I don't remember how but my mom says I used to sit close to my older brother when he was doing his homework, so I learnt by myself. No one taught me. It was very weird because they say I knew how to read even the newspaper. My teacher found out when she was reding the paper in her desk and I started to read the words, from my desk, upside down!! She was so surprised that sehe phoned my mom. After studying my aptitudes and attitudes they decided thst I should skip one course...here comes the worse part: I was always 1 1/2 years younger than my classmates (I was born in September) so I have always been the little stupid girl in my class. I have always tried to look older, to do things older kids do, etc... You know that in those ages 1 year is eternity.
The nice part is : ( not my opinion but this is what psychologists have told my family) I'm a very intelligent person, I understand things faster than the rest, I can solve problems more efficiently than others, I have musical talent,and a lot more things that I have found out as I've grown up. I have always been a brilliant student without working too much, I must confess.But not as happy as many other "normal" teens.
The point is : Don't make him run if he doesn't want to. Don't meke him feel different from the rest. Try to give him all the information he asks for.Talk to him a lot about the topics that he is interested in. Never lie to him...he will notice.
I hope this will help you.
Now I have two daughters ( 5 and 2 years old) and I hope they are normal and happy girls.
You can have my support whenever you want.(I'm a teacher too)
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help: my son (3 1/2) starts reading on his own...

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »