Thread poster: Tom in London
Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:24
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Mar 21, 2015

Not having used Firefox for a while, I recently installed a completely new copy (i.e. no cache, no history etc.) and discovered that it won't accept my username and password (I'm writing this in Safari, which works fine) no matter how many times I try.

Can anyone suggest what I might be doing wrong?

Neptunia
Neptunia
Local time: 23:24
Italian to English
password characters? Mar 21, 2015

I don't know anything about Firefox specifically, but I can think of one explanation: sometimes when people type their passwords they may use characters that are located in different places on the keyboard depending on the keyboard & language settings of the software but since they can't see what they type in the password field, they don't realize it. This happens with symbols like @ a lot. One way to test this could be to cut and paste your password from a program like Word.

Yigit Ati
Yigit Ati  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 00:24
English to Turkish
+ ...
Update Mar 22, 2015

Try updating Firefox to latest version If you're having same problem with other accounts (Gmail, FB, etc.).

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
As I said.... Mar 22, 2015

Yigit Ati wrote:

Try updating Firefox to latest version If you're having same problem with other accounts (Gmail, FB, etc.).

...it's a brand new Firefox, i.e. the latest version

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Mozilla forums Mar 22, 2015

This page
http://forums.mozillazine.org/index.php
will give you access to several Firefox forums. You might try asking in one of them. Their phone number appears to be top secret.

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
What password? Mar 22, 2015

Tom in London wrote:

Not having used Firefox for a while, I recently installed a completely new copy (i.e. no cache, no history etc.) and discovered that it won't accept my username and password (I'm writing this in Safari, which works fine) no matter how many times I try.

Can anyone suggest what I might be doing wrong?

What exactly do you mean by "it won't accept my username and password"? Are you talking about accessing a particular website? AFAIK, Firefox doesn't ask for a username/password (but I have never used FF on OS X, my experience is Win7 only).

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
My Proz username and password Mar 22, 2015

Erik Freitag wrote:

What exactly do you mean by "it won't accept my username and password"? Are you talking about accessing a particular website? AFAIK, Firefox doesn't ask for a username/password (but I have never used FF on OS X, my experience is Win7 only).

My Proz username and password.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Interesting but Mar 23, 2015

Neptunia wrote:

I don't know anything about Firefox specifically, but I can think of one explanation: sometimes when people type their passwords they may use characters that are located in different places on the keyboard depending on the keyboard & language settings of the software but since they can't see what they type in the password field, they don't realize it. This happens with symbols like @ a lot. One way to test this could be to cut and paste your password from a program like Word.

Interesting idea but I had already tried that (copy/pasting rather than typing).

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
German to French
+ ...
As a Firefox user too... Mar 23, 2015

I'm quite sure it has nothing to do with the Navigator. I use the Proz.com password with IE, Firefox and Safari without trouble. A solution could be to change your ProZ.com password?

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 00:24
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
It seems to be a ProZ's bug Mar 23, 2015

I have been having the same issue for more than a month now, ever since I changed the password I had been using for years. I had to do a few password resets (because I typed my password accurately [I am 100% sure about this] but it was rejected), and now I can log in, but I have to type in my password every time. Before that, I was always logged in automatically every time I visited www.proz.com.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Wavy things Mar 23, 2015

Epameinondas Soufleros wrote:

I have been having the same issue for more than a month now, ever since I changed the password I had been using for years. I had to do a few password resets (because I typed my password accurately [I am 100% sure about this] but it was rejected), and now I can log in, but I have to type in my password every time. Before that, I was always logged in automatically every time I visited www.proz.com.

Lucky you! I can't even log in. All I get is endless word patterns (those wavy things) that I'm asked to type in over and over again, and which are never accepted.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Too risky Mar 23, 2015

Adrien Esparron wrote:

I'm quite sure it has nothing to do with the Navigator. I use the Proz.com password with IE, Firefox and Safari without trouble. A solution could be to change your ProZ.com password?

Too risky. If it's a password recognition issue then I wouldn't be able to log in here either. I'd be locked out of Proz !

Neptunia
Neptunia
Italian to English
a CAPTCHA glitch? Mar 23, 2015

Firefox users have had problems with their browser automatically caching the previous version of the CAPTCHA image so that when you think you are typing in the test word you are actually typing the previous test word. Refreshing it means you are still always one word behind. The fix for this is not easy, apparently, but it could be something to look into.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Firefox won't accept my username and password

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »