Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:42
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Mar 3, 2010

A new client is not getting any of my e-mail messages that have attachments.

Last year, ProZ had a beta version of "my files". I cannot find it on the new menu. If it still exists, if I upload the file there, will my client be able to download it?

If not, can someone tell me how to ftp a file? Are there any other options?

Thanks,
Patricia

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:42
French to English
yousendit Mar 3, 2010

www.yousendit.com works great for me, and it's free if you send one file at a time (just zip your files before yousendit)

Patricia Rosas
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
how do you zip files Mar 3, 2010

Lori Cirefice wrote:

www.yousendit.com works great for me, and it's free if you send one file at a time (just zip your files before yousendit)

Thank you, Lori. I'm downloading filezilla, but I'll try you send it, too. All I have is one short file. Do I need buy software to zip the file?

Sorry I'm so in the dark here--this has never happened before!

Patricia

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
No Mar 3, 2010

If you only have 1 file to send, then no need to zip it! Just upload it to yousendit and send the link you receive to your client (by email) and/or have the yousendit interface send the link to your client.

I usually send the files to myself, then forward the link to my clients to make sure it arrives ok.

Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
FTP and other possibilities Mar 3, 2010

To use FTP, you need access to an FTP server. If the client has one, you can use FileZilla (or other FTP clients) to upload and download files.

If your client has a ProZ profile, go to his/her profile, and choose "Send file (beta)"; this item is above the profile data, in the row that contains "Send message", PayPal, etc. The size limit is 5 MB.

Much larger files can be sent via mailbigfile.com, yousendit.com and other similar services. But if the files contain any con
... See more
To use FTP, you need access to an FTP server. If the client has one, you can use FileZilla (or other FTP clients) to upload and download files.

If your client has a ProZ profile, go to his/her profile, and choose "Send file (beta)"; this item is above the profile data, in the row that contains "Send message", PayPal, etc. The size limit is 5 MB.

Much larger files can be sent via mailbigfile.com, yousendit.com and other similar services. But if the files contain any confidential data, your client may not approve that you use such a service - even ProZ.com's file sending possibility. Check with them.

And, of course, another obvious solution is to use a secondary email address. But only FTP will work if your client's mailbox is full (and that is why they don't receive your mails).

Kind regards,
Attila
Collapse

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
Local time: 11:42
English to Spanish
Another way: Mar 3, 2010

Go to your "http://www.patriciarosas.net/" server. Open a new folder, and upload files into it.
Then, email the links to your client.

Example:
http://www.patriciarosas.net/NEW_FOLDER/file_name.doc

That's the way I do it through my web site.

Patricia Rosas
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
urgency is over, but I'm so grateful for all this great advice!! Mar 3, 2010

Friends:

My client gave me a different e-mail address and I was able to forward the file (whew!!).

But I'm so delighted to get all the information you've posted. I stated to download filezilla, but then I decided to try yousendit.

However, Tadzio idea sounds the easiest! I'm going to experiment with it now.

Thanks again for your generosity in sharing the information (taking the time to post it, too!).

Patricia
PS I'm havin
... See more
Friends:

My client gave me a different e-mail address and I was able to forward the file (whew!!).

But I'm so delighted to get all the information you've posted. I stated to download filezilla, but then I decided to try yousendit.

However, Tadzio idea sounds the easiest! I'm going to experiment with it now.

Thanks again for your generosity in sharing the information (taking the time to post it, too!).

Patricia
PS I'm having one of those weeks where nothing is going right. It is nice to a community to prop you up at times like this!
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yousendit! Mar 3, 2010

Simple and free! It has a problem though: it does not work with Google Chrome... at least until 10 days ago.

Patricia Rosas
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
so many problems with Google! Mar 3, 2010

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Simple and free! It has a problem though: it does not work with Google Chrome... at least until 10 days ago.

I haven't been able to get Tadzio's suggestion to work yet. ProZ hosts my web site, so I've submitted a support request.

In the meantime, I downloaded Yousendit, and it seems very easy to use.

That said, I haven't been able to use Google Chrome to download anything (ever)! I'm getting really disgusted with it and with Google searches (I have another thread going on that, which I haven't been able to visit today because of all the craziness).

Thanks!

David Jessop
David Jessop  Identity Verified
Laos
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dropbox Mar 4, 2010

Another excellent option is getting a Dropbox account, installing the program, and then sharing a folder. Dropbox is wonderful for people who have more than one computer, want automatic and instantaneous backups, and need to share files with others (in other words, it's great for most of us translators ). I love the program and best of all, it's free for up to 2 GB.

Good luck.

David

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

URGENT: How to ftp files or other options to sending via e-mail

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »