How to turn off Instant Translation in Google?
Thread poster: Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:26
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Oct 20, 2010

How can I turn off the translation feature that brings up translated webpages among the search results?

This is more than annoying.
I search for a keyword and I get search results that are originally written in a different language but I am presented with a wonderful gibberish as the result of Google's machine translation.
I don't want to see those translated pages, only originals.
Does anybody know how to turn off this annoying behavior?

I tried to
... See more
How can I turn off the translation feature that brings up translated webpages among the search results?

This is more than annoying.
I search for a keyword and I get search results that are originally written in a different language but I am presented with a wonderful gibberish as the result of Google's machine translation.
I don't want to see those translated pages, only originals.
Does anybody know how to turn off this annoying behavior?

I tried to find the answer on Google itself, but all I could dig up were old postings to the help forum, saying for example:

Google
View profile

Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 16:27:11 -0800 (PST)
Local: Wed, Dec 2 2009 8:27 pm
Subject: Having problems with instant translation?
Forward | Print | Individual message | Report this message | Find messages by this author
Hi all,

While most of our users love the new instant translation feature,
we've heard from some users that it can cause some problems,
particularly with slow connections to the internet.

For those of you who are having problems with this feature, or just
those who prefer Google Translate without the real-time, instant
translation, you can now turn it off.

Look for a link in the footer of the page that says "Turn off/on
instant translation"

Best,
Josh

The problem is, I cannot find that link on any of the Google search result pages.
Anybody knows a solution?

Thanks
Katalin
Collapse

Simone Linke
Simone Linke  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:26
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
On the left Oct 20, 2010

Not sure if this is the same for you, but when I'm on the page with the search results, there is a menu on the left with various options to refine the search results.

At the bottom of this menu, it says "More options" (well, "Mehr Optionen" in my case), and if you go there, the third option for the standard format will allow you to include/exclude translated results.

Does this work for you?

[Edited at 2010-10-20 18:52 GMT]

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:26
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Instant On / Off Oct 21, 2010

This utterly annoying feature made Google search a pain in the neck until I found this option to the right of the search box: "Instant On / Off" (in tiny letters). It also started to overwrite any search word that I tried to type in.

If you click on "More about Google Instant" you will find out how this fantastic feature is supposed to save years of your life:

"Before Google Instant, the typical searcher took more than 9 seconds to enter a search term, and we saw many e
... See more
This utterly annoying feature made Google search a pain in the neck until I found this option to the right of the search box: "Instant On / Off" (in tiny letters). It also started to overwrite any search word that I tried to type in.

If you click on "More about Google Instant" you will find out how this fantastic feature is supposed to save years of your life:

"Before Google Instant, the typical searcher took more than 9 seconds to enter a search term, and we saw many examples of searches that took 30-90 seconds to type.
Using Google Instant can save 2-5 seconds per search."
Collapse

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:26
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Oct 21, 2010

Hi Simone,
Thank you for finding that little pesky setting - that's what I was looking for.
Apparently they moved it from the bottom of the page, and hid it in that pull-down menu.

Nicole,
I agree, the Instant Search is annoying, but my question wasn't about that.
The switch for that is right next to the search keyword input field, so that was easy to turn off. From reading the Google support forums, it seems when they added that "feature" there was a (quite
... See more
Hi Simone,
Thank you for finding that little pesky setting - that's what I was looking for.
Apparently they moved it from the bottom of the page, and hid it in that pull-down menu.

Nicole,
I agree, the Instant Search is annoying, but my question wasn't about that.
The switch for that is right next to the search keyword input field, so that was easy to turn off. From reading the Google support forums, it seems when they added that "feature" there was a (quite understandable) huge uproar among users, demanding removal.

Thank you everybody
Katalin
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to turn off Instant Translation in Google?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »