Should I keep a 512mb or a 1gb backup desktop?
Thread poster: Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 01:03
Spanish
+ ...
May 17, 2008

I use my laptop as my main computer. The laptop is connected to a dock, so I use an external computer, mouse, keyboard, etc. My laptop has an warranty against accidents but not against theft (I'm still looking into it), so I feel much better knowing that I have a backup computer. The thing is that I have two backup desktops that I never use. One of them is an old (2001) but very sturdy Sony Vaio (Pentium III I think), expandable only to 512MB. The Sony lags a little, but I'm about to format it a... See more
I use my laptop as my main computer. The laptop is connected to a dock, so I use an external computer, mouse, keyboard, etc. My laptop has an warranty against accidents but not against theft (I'm still looking into it), so I feel much better knowing that I have a backup computer. The thing is that I have two backup desktops that I never use. One of them is an old (2001) but very sturdy Sony Vaio (Pentium III I think), expandable only to 512MB. The Sony lags a little, but I'm about to format it and then I will install only the necessary software. The other is a 4 year old 1GB Pentium 4 HP, that tends to get really hot (which is more noticeable during the summer) but still it works perfect, and 1gb seems to be enough with XP.

Since I don't need two computers that I don't even use, I want to sell one of them. I think I'd get more money if I sell the 1GB HP (expandable up to 4GB), but I don't want to get stuck with a slow desktop.

My question is, do you think it's a good idea to sell the newer computer and keep the older one? Realistically, could I work with a 512mb computer even if it's only temporary?

I welcome any advice.

Thanks.

[Edited at 2008-05-17 00:51]
Collapse

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 00:03
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
2 gb May 17, 2008

Claudia Alvis wrote:

My question is, do you think it's a good idea to sell the newer computer and keep the older one? Realistically, could I work with a 512mb computer even if it's only temporary?

Can't you sell the two laptops?

Try to buy a laptop with 2 GB in RAM. There won't be problems surfing the net, using word, TRADOS, a mic, messenger and some other applications.

256 MB is prehistory

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 01:03
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Mmm May 17, 2008

I think you misunderstood me, my laptop already has 3 Gigs of Ram, that's my main computer.

My question was about my two desktop backup computers. Since, hopefully, I won't be using the backup computer that often, or for a long period of time for that matter, I was thinking of keeping the oldest, slower computer and sell the other one. But my question was if a 512mb would be too slow to be used with usual translation applications (I should posted that before) like MS-Office, Trados
... See more
I think you misunderstood me, my laptop already has 3 Gigs of Ram, that's my main computer.

My question was about my two desktop backup computers. Since, hopefully, I won't be using the backup computer that often, or for a long period of time for that matter, I was thinking of keeping the oldest, slower computer and sell the other one. But my question was if a 512mb would be too slow to be used with usual translation applications (I should posted that before) like MS-Office, Trados (2007), a few e-dictionaries, Firefox+Thunderbird, that kind of stuff.

Right now, the computer seems fast enough, a little laggy, but usable. My concern is that 512MB would fail eventually.
Collapse

ozan karakış
ozan karakış
Türkiye
Local time: 09:03
English to Turkish
+ ...
I would keep the P4 May 17, 2008

selling either would get you only a small amount of money anyway.

The heat problem that the P4 suffers most likely caused by clogged CPU fan. Just open the case and either buy a compresses air can from a comp.shop (1-2 USD) or just drive to the nearest gas station for air compressor an
... See more
selling either would get you only a small amount of money anyway.

The heat problem that the P4 suffers most likely caused by clogged CPU fan. Just open the case and either buy a compresses air can from a comp.shop (1-2 USD) or just drive to the nearest gas station for air compressor and push compresses air to it.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial118.html

[Değişiklik saati 2008-05-17 07:27]
Collapse

Boyan Brezinsky
Boyan Brezinsky  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 09:03
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Keep the 1GB RAM machine May 17, 2008

You will not get that much more money from selling the newer machine. Around here models like your older one can be bought second-hand for about USD 100, and the newer one goes about USD 150-250 (depending on the exact specs). I doubt they cost more in the States.
So keep the better machine, ditch the older one. You might try to clean the computer though, if it runs hot - look at this thread
... See more
You will not get that much more money from selling the newer machine. Around here models like your older one can be bought second-hand for about USD 100, and the newer one goes about USD 150-250 (depending on the exact specs). I doubt they cost more in the States.
So keep the better machine, ditch the older one. You might try to clean the computer though, if it runs hot - look at this thread, http://www.proz.com/forum/russian/103123-Где_зарыт_процессор.html , even if it is in russian, the picture is pretty telling.
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:03
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Remember, that you will get nearly no money for both PIV and PIII machine May 17, 2008

So maybe I would keep them both and wait, until a promotion is running, where you can give the old one back and get the new one cheaper.
I would not expect more than 50 US $ per PC, if sold - because I doubt very much, that you find someone willing to bu 'em.

Best regards
Jerzy

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:03
German to English
+ ...
Keep them May 18, 2008

I agree with the consensus that neither of your older computers is probably worth very much.

In addition, if you have already offset them against tax, you may have to pay tax if you sell them (I'm not familiar with US tax legislation, so this is just speculation), reducing the small amount you would get even further.

I am in favour of keeping at least one spare PC around as insurance against hardware failure, and it seems that your Pentium 4 is perfect for this - the fa
... See more
I agree with the consensus that neither of your older computers is probably worth very much.

In addition, if you have already offset them against tax, you may have to pay tax if you sell them (I'm not familiar with US tax legislation, so this is just speculation), reducing the small amount you would get even further.

I am in favour of keeping at least one spare PC around as insurance against hardware failure, and it seems that your Pentium 4 is perfect for this - the fact that it runs hot would not really be an issue if it were only for emergency use. Insurance against accident/theft or warranties against failure are all very well, but however well covered you are, you are unlikely to be up and running again as quickly as if you have a PC of your own, even an old one, at your immediate disposal.

If you happen to be interested in trying Linux at any point, the spec of your older machine would be quite adequate for experimentation purposes, and if you upgrade the RAM to 512 MB, quite usable for routine translation.

Marc
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Should I keep a 512mb or a 1gb backup desktop?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »