Thread poster: Karin Maack
Karin Maack
Karin Maack  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:05
English to German
May 21, 2008

Hallo all of you,

for some time now, it takes about 10 minutes each day until I am able to use my computer (XP). I don't know, what caused this problem and actually it might not be the computer at all but the monitor - I can hear the "Windows sound" after a short time but can't see anything. It then takes about ten minutes and everything is there with no further complications. Has anyone an idea what might cause this problem?

Thank you for your help.

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 17:05
Spanish
+ ...
CCleaner and drivers May 21, 2008

The first thing I'd do is to run CCleaner in order to figure out if there's one or more applications that are slowing your computer down. If you think the problem is related to your monitor, you might want to update the graphic drivers. Go to your computer's manufacturer website and download the drivers from there. Usually there's a page set up for each model, so you need to be careful to enter your exact model number and whether you have Vista or XP or any other OS.

Good luck,
... See more
The first thing I'd do is to run CCleaner in order to figure out if there's one or more applications that are slowing your computer down. If you think the problem is related to your monitor, you might want to update the graphic drivers. Go to your computer's manufacturer website and download the drivers from there. Usually there's a page set up for each model, so you need to be careful to enter your exact model number and whether you have Vista or XP or any other OS.

Good luck,

Claudia
Collapse

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Have you got a dual-core computer these days? May 21, 2008

Then, it is not a problem, it is natural. You have a dual hard drive, so that if one of them fails you still have a back-up. Since, on start-up, they have to be equalised each time, so that the content is identical, this takes time. Ten minutes is exactly right and normal. Mine also takes exactly ten minutes; I know because I use time-recording software.

Astrid

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:05
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Boot up before breakfast? May 21, 2008

Yep - the 'Windows yodel' certainly does not mean that the puter is up and ready to rock and roll.

But 10 mins is normal, I think.

However, if you want, there are some things you can do about selecting/unselecting programs that automatically execute upon startup - because that's what takes time. You'll probably find that there a few that don't need to fire up until you n
... See more
Yep - the 'Windows yodel' certainly does not mean that the puter is up and ready to rock and roll.

But 10 mins is normal, I think.

However, if you want, there are some things you can do about selecting/unselecting programs that automatically execute upon startup - because that's what takes time. You'll probably find that there a few that don't need to fire up until you need them.

http://www.scanwith.com/download/Starter.htm (Startup Manager for Windows 9x/Me/NT/2000/XP/2003)

Enjoy your coffee

Chris
Collapse

Cristián Bianchi-Bruna
Cristián Bianchi-Bruna  Identity Verified
Costa Rica
Local time: 16:05
Italian to English
+ ...
Check monitor May 21, 2008

You said you hear the Windows sounds but there is no display, and this has happened lately. This could be the monitor if you have made no system changes.

If you cannot try a different monitor, try the following next time you boot up: turn on the monitor 10-15 min before the box, to see if the monitor just needs to warm up (assuming it is an older model).

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 01:05
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
And I thought mine was slow May 22, 2008

My laptop XP takes about 30 sec to register and then after a minute or so I can execute the first application, mostly Thunderbird.
But what sometimes bothers me, after the night when the lit was closed it can take minutes before I can register and get to the desktop. Harddisc light flickers and ventilator runs, but all is dark. On other occasion it is up and running in seconds.
My harddisc is normal, no double. I deinstalled Google desktop, hope it will speed up things.
Still I
... See more
My laptop XP takes about 30 sec to register and then after a minute or so I can execute the first application, mostly Thunderbird.
But what sometimes bothers me, after the night when the lit was closed it can take minutes before I can register and get to the desktop. Harddisc light flickers and ventilator runs, but all is dark. On other occasion it is up and running in seconds.
My harddisc is normal, no double. I deinstalled Google desktop, hope it will speed up things.
Still I feel computers never get faster. 20 years ago I already did online banking on my Atari ST, and the procedure was faster on a 2400 baud modem than now using 4 mb broadband connection. Strange world!

Regards
Heinrich
Collapse

EHI (X)
EHI (X)
what about upgrading to Vista? May 22, 2008

I'm on Vista and the booting speed is definitely one of the advantages over XP.
My computer is up and running in less than a minute.

However, if you are using a fairly up-to-date computer, 10min is far too long, even for XP.

[Edited at 2008-05-22 06:16]

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 18:05
English to French
+ ...
Yet another diagnosis question... May 22, 2008

Have you installed sodtware recently that automatically loads upon boot and takes its sweet time? This has happened to me before, and although the software was really useful, I had to get rid of it since waiting on a slow computer costs time, which costs more money than I am willing to afford...

Otherwise, it does sound like a graphic problem. How old is your monitor? Do you have reason to believe it is going kaput? You may want to try plugging in a different monitor, see if that he
... See more
Have you installed sodtware recently that automatically loads upon boot and takes its sweet time? This has happened to me before, and although the software was really useful, I had to get rid of it since waiting on a slow computer costs time, which costs more money than I am willing to afford...

Otherwise, it does sound like a graphic problem. How old is your monitor? Do you have reason to believe it is going kaput? You may want to try plugging in a different monitor, see if that helps (I believe this was already suggested).

Good luck!
Collapse

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Monitor May 22, 2008

I am afraid some of the advice given here is quite misleading.

The graphics driver should not affect the boot time or monitor warm-up time. Having a dual-core computer (meaning a computer with a dual-core CPU) does not necessarily mean you are using some kind of a RAID. And 10 minutes is definitely *not* normal. My computer, which is about 4 years old and far from optimized, boots into Windows XP in 1 minute 30 seconds.<
... See more
I am afraid some of the advice given here is quite misleading.

The graphics driver should not affect the boot time or monitor warm-up time. Having a dual-core computer (meaning a computer with a dual-core CPU) does not necessarily mean you are using some kind of a RAID. And 10 minutes is definitely *not* normal. My computer, which is about 4 years old and far from optimized, boots into Windows XP in 1 minute 30 seconds.

I am with Crisitán: If it takes 10 minutes before you can see anything on your monitor, then the monitor is probably the culprit. You can try rebooting your computer when the monitor comes to life - does it also take 10 minutes?

There could be also a hardware problem with the graphics card.
Collapse

Karin Maack
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to all of you May 22, 2008

I'll try which of your suggestions help and report later.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Don't turn it off > Hiberate or Suspend May 22, 2008

Yes, same situation in some of our machines. Although the colleagues are right in saying that you could have an actual problem, maybe the reason is just that you have new software that takes up a lot of memory and you don't have enough physical memory for it.

My recommendation: don't turn off the machine. Use the Hibernate function, which will turn it off after dumping the memory to the disk. It takes a few seconds, and then when you turn on your machine again you will have it avail
... See more
Yes, same situation in some of our machines. Although the colleagues are right in saying that you could have an actual problem, maybe the reason is just that you have new software that takes up a lot of memory and you don't have enough physical memory for it.

My recommendation: don't turn off the machine. Use the Hibernate function, which will turn it off after dumping the memory to the disk. It takes a few seconds, and then when you turn on your machine again you will have it available in a snap!
Collapse

Karin Maack
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
It's the monitor May 25, 2008

As it was the easiest thing to do, I downloaded the graphics driver. But that didn't change anything. My monitor is a flat screen and not very old. Nevertheless it seems to need a warm-up: When I restart the computer after it has been running for a while, there is no problem at all. But when I start it in the morning, it makes no difference whether the monitor has been on or off at night - it takes ten minutes. Same thing when I start the computer first and then - after the Windows sound - the m... See more
As it was the easiest thing to do, I downloaded the graphics driver. But that didn't change anything. My monitor is a flat screen and not very old. Nevertheless it seems to need a warm-up: When I restart the computer after it has been running for a while, there is no problem at all. But when I start it in the morning, it makes no difference whether the monitor has been on or off at night - it takes ten minutes. Same thing when I start the computer first and then - after the Windows sound - the monitor. It still takes 10 minutes. So I guess it can't have anything to do with software? Or can it?
For now, I'm glad the computer seemingly is not the culprit.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

10 minutes for booting my computer!

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »