United States
Local time: 05:57
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You are ritht, GG Dec 14, 2008

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

You can buy a Mac keyboard only

You are right. I can buy one and it works, and with a new key-binding you can pretend nothing has happened...

Wait, does that mean Windows users on Mac have to "get used to" Apple keyboard layout (something like Ctrl/Opt/Apple ...keys)? Does Apple provide some tool for easy key-binding? With bear bones Windows you have to go into Regedit to change key mappings.

The first machine I bought with my money was Apple Classic!!! A little charm. I wish I've kept it - though not like Commodore, it may have some antique value. If I don't have to have multiple machines to do my work, or if I don't have to spend $$$$ on DVX, I will buy just one machine and that will probably be a Mac. And, I watch a movie...

Rie

RieM
RieM  Identity Verified
United States
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Maybe, we are how we type???? Dec 14, 2008

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.) wrote:

Am I too strange?

Soonthon,
No, you are not. So be happy and type on - Rie

ICL wroteL:

Maybe a "typewriter generation" thing?

I don't know, Ivette, but manual typewriter generation (I belong there) seems to press deep - do a press-down-all-the-way action . I wonder if a piano player would prefer standard or ergonomic. - Rie

PS to Ivette: Thank you for complementing my kitty photo. He's all grown up huge now, but still cute, even he scratches my leather jacket and knocks down plant pots...

Ivette Camargo López
Ivette Camargo López  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:57
English to Spanish
+ ...
More passionate Dec 14, 2008

Rie Matsuda wrote:

I don't know, Ivette, but manual typewriter generation (I belong there) seems to press deep - do a press-down-all-the-way action

LOL!!!

Maybe we're just more passionate (thus the need to "press harder", he he he!!).

Rie Matsuda wrote:
I wonder if a piano player would prefer standard or ergonomic.

Maybe it depends on the kind of piano? Probably the more traditional "concerto piano" players prefer standard, while the more "electronic" types maybe prefer ergonomic.

Anyway, if I learn of any "really quiet" keyboards for PC worth mentioning, I'll let you know.

Happy Sunday,

Ivette

P.S.: about my cats, see
http://www.proz.com/forum/off_topic/78344-what_is_the_name_of_your_feline_assistant-page4.html#617108

(but in this thread you'll learn about many other "proZian" cats as well, so your cat's in good company here...)

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
slightly off-topic Dec 14, 2008

Rie Matsuda wrote:

I wonder if a piano player would prefer standard or ergonomic.

Well, this piano player happily types on a standard computer keyboard - but then again, I've never seriously tried an ergonomic one.

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Apple keyboard... Dec 14, 2008

Rie Matsuda wrote:

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

You can buy a Mac keyboard only

You are right. I can buy one and it works, and with a new key-binding you can pretend nothing has happened...

First of all, go to a Mac store and see if it's really quiet enough for you.
I type really hard, so even a Mac keyboard clicks.
But it's still more, more quiet than my Logitech who sounds like a Gatling machine gun.

Wait, does that mean Windows users on Mac have to "get used to" Apple keyboard layout (something like Ctrl/Opt/Apple ...keys)?

Yes.
Alhough the Ctrl, Alt (Opt) and Apple (Win) works exactly in the same manner, the problem on the rigts side of a typical Windows keyboard you have:
Space, Alt-Gr, Windows, Ctrl,
in the Mac keybord it's:
Space, Apple. Alt (Opt), Ctrl.
So, after the switch, you'll hit Apple/Win instead of AltrGr

For a more detailed description of the differences, see e.g.
http://www.brendonmatheson.com/2007/08/22/using_the_new_apple_keyboard_on_a_pc.html

Does Apple provide some tool for easy key-binding?

AFAIK, no but it's a lot of key remappers for Windows.
A lot of 'em free of charge.
E.g. http://www.randyrants.com/sharpkeys/

With bear bones Windows you have to go into Regedit to change key mappings.

As a lazy idiot, I use rather some key remapper

The first machine I bought with my money was Apple Classic!!! A little charm. I wish I've kept it - though not like Commodore, it may have some antique value.

Now, I try to reanimate my old 486
I have a lot of fun

If I don't have to have multiple machines to do my work, or if I don't have to spend $$$$ on DVX, I will buy just one machine and that will probably be a Mac.

In fact, a modern Intel based Mac is almost a PC and you may easily run Windows on it, if necessary.
So why it's probably a good choice for a lot of people.

BTW.
For me, the biggest problem with Mac is the screen resolution, it's always too low for me.
E.g., I have 1920x1200 on my 15,4' notebook (Lenovo T61p), a standard Macbook Pro 15,4' has only 1440x900 pixels with the same dimensions.
I feel really bad with pixels huge like Russian tanks.

Cheers
GG

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:57
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Warning! (Better late than never) Dec 15, 2008

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:
You may want to check out this neat virtual keyboard: http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/input/8193/

If you are looking for a keyboard that doesn't make a sound whatsoever and doesn't require you to press down keys, this is the ultimate keyboard for you.

Quote from the description of the Bluetooth Laser Virtual keyboard!

This tiny device laser-projects a keyboard on any flat surface... you can then type away accompanied by simulated key click sounds. ...You'll be turning heads...

No wonder! Click, click, click...

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:57
French to English
+ ...
Piano Dec 15, 2008

Rie Matsuda wrote:

I wonder if a piano player would prefer standard or ergonomic. - Rie

I play the piano (after a fashion) and I type on a Microsoft Natural keyboard - I find the arm position more comfortable than a standard one. I like something that makes a bit of a click, so I know it's responded to my command...

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Damaging for your fingers? Dec 16, 2008

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:
You may want to check out this neat virtual keyboard: http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/input/8193/

Yes, I love the idea and have seen it in operation. I haven't used it though. Now I wonder: wouldn't it be bad for our fingers, as we spend typing many hours a day? What would be the long-term consequences of the impact of our fingertips against a hard surface?

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Ergonomy above all considerations Dec 16, 2008

When I read the original posting I thought: well, if it's noisy, the noise will be some guarantee that the letters are typed correctly and only once. This is rarely the case with the soft keyboards in my opinion.

We have worked with MS' Natural Keyboard for some time but it was just poor quality. About 4 years ago we got hold of Logitech's Cordless Desktop Pro, an ergonomic keyboard which has a split separating the keyboard in two blocks. Logitech now sell the Cordless Wave, which i
... See more
When I read the original posting I thought: well, if it's noisy, the noise will be some guarantee that the letters are typed correctly and only once. This is rarely the case with the soft keyboards in my opinion.

We have worked with MS' Natural Keyboard for some time but it was just poor quality. About 4 years ago we got hold of Logitech's Cordless Desktop Pro, an ergonomic keyboard which has a split separating the keyboard in two blocks. Logitech now sell the Cordless Wave, which is just nonsense as it does not open up the keys in two parts and is even worse than a regular keyboard in my opinion.

Unfortunately Logitech don't sell this product with a Spanish layout... A bit of a mean joke: they let you purchase the keyboard, with about 10 different layouts but Spanish.

If you can get the Logitech Cordless Desktop Comfort Laser with a layout for your target language, I would recommend it. The only drawback in our model is that the cordless mouse consumes plenty of batteries. We have replaced the mouse with an optical mouse with cable just to save batteries. The keyboard can run for 3-4 months with the same batteries, and we type a lot!
Collapse

Ivette Camargo López
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
News related to laser-based keyboard Dec 16, 2008

Hi,

I just read here that according to some geeky-related survey, the need for "normal" keyboards may disappear in the long run and we will end up using more and more voice devices and laser keyboards like the one Viktoria previously mentioned.

Talk and touch are common technology interfaces. People have adjusted to hearing individuals dictating information in public to their computing devices. In addition 'haptic' technologies based on touch feedback have been fully developed, so, for instance, a small handheld Internet appliance allows you to display and use a full-size virtual keyboard on any flat surface for those moments when you would prefer not to talk aloud to your networked computer.

As we will "dictate" (use voice-based input) more than type, keyboard use will become less frequent, so we will prefer the use of "invisible" keyboards.

And here we were, Rie, still thinking in terms of old typewriter keyboard use...

Cheers,

Ivette

P.S.: Grzegorz Gryc, sorry I missed commenting on your cat pic. I noticed that you actually just added a comment about your cat in the thread about pets I previously commented. Well done!, though sorry to read that that he is dead, but at least you got new ones.

[Edited at 2008-12-16 14:07 GMT]

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Won't happen with us soon Dec 16, 2008

ICL wrote:
...according to some geeky-related survey, the need for "normal" keyboards may disappear in the long run and we will end up using more and more voice devices and laser keyboards like the one Viktoria previously mentioned.

Honesty I don't see this happening in a short time. Maybe that kind of input will come handy in an on-the-go situation, but not in a working situation. In our case as translators, we not only deal with words, but also with a complex packaging and processing of words (formatting, tags, sets of files instead of a single file, several tools we have to check while we translate, ...). I honestly think that using voice to use a computer would create a tremendous loss in productivity in our case.

Ivette Camargo López
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
What about Dragon Naturally Speaking and other similar software? Dec 16, 2008

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

I honestly think that using voice to use a computer would create a tremendous loss in productivity in our case.

This is already happening, Tomás, and you often read in these forums about translators who are successfully using this kind of voice-based software, maybe not for ALL translations, but at least for some, so I would not be the least surprised if, in the long run, Trados and CAT tools start incorporating this kind of technology in their interface.

Anyway, if you read all the article and the survey link itself included in the article, on the one hand, the survey is not considered "scientific" and, on the other hand, it probably applies mostly to the USA, where it was made.

I just mentioned it because it was a coincidence reading today about this after Rie had started this thread related to keyboards.

RieM
RieM  Identity Verified
United States
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dragon NS (naturally speaking) Dec 16, 2008

Hi Tomás!

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

I honestly think that using voice to use a computer would create a tremendous loss in productivity in our case.

Thank you for your recommendation for Logitech. Reading all the posts, I now know what I want and have narrowed down my selection to a couple of models. Logitech was not in there, but I may consider.

As for the use of voice, I'm 100 percent sure ther are avid users of Natually Speaking - it's been around for so many years. You may hear ALOT from them soon.....

I don't use it myself for translation work, though.

Regards,
Rie

RieM
RieM  Identity Verified
United States
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
yes! Dec 16, 2008

ICL wrote:

And here we were, Rie, still thinking in terms of old typewriter keyboard use...

Ivette, unless I suffer from carpal tunnel....

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
. Dec 16, 2008

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

I swear I'm drooling with this: http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/accessories/ab85/

How come I didn't know that store?? Hmmm, I wonder if they ship to Chile...

Greetings
Andrea

[Edited at 2008-12-16 16:38 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Quiet keyboard

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »