Thread poster: ibz
Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:06
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Depends Jan 24

Difficult to say. Source file formats can be everything from Word to PowerPoint, Excel, to InDesign. What I tend to receive in Phrase or Trados are a few hundred to a few thousand characters. Rather than being separated out for me these will be part of a much larger document (up to a couple of hundred pages), with nearly all the segments locked. The documents are usually complex in terms of layout and formatting - I very seldom get something as simple as a single-column document in Word.
<
... See more
Difficult to say. Source file formats can be everything from Word to PowerPoint, Excel, to InDesign. What I tend to receive in Phrase or Trados are a few hundred to a few thousand characters. Rather than being separated out for me these will be part of a much larger document (up to a couple of hundred pages), with nearly all the segments locked. The documents are usually complex in terms of layout and formatting - I very seldom get something as simple as a single-column document in Word.

I don't notice any problems with responsiveness, which is to say that the Trados interface is sluggish (as it was sluggish on my previous i7 system) and the Phrase desktop editor front-end is quite sprightly.

If I were (for example) selecting hundreds of contiguous segments and performing actions on those I would imagine that a faster system would be, unsurprisingly, faster. But that is not something that I have to do very often. Other people with different workflows may have different experiences!

Dan
Collapse

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:06
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks Jan 25

Thanks to all of your for your help and suggestions. I'll think about it ...

Bartosz Kurkiewicz
Bartosz Kurkiewicz
Poland
Local time: 21:06
English to Polish
+ ...
. Jan 25

In my experience, there are diminishing returns when it comes to throwing computing power at Word and Trados.
When the input file is bad, it's still going to go take its sweet time with it, no matter the number of processor cores.
For work, I'm running a 10 year old i7 setup (it's comparable with today's i3 in terms of specs), which I took care to future-proof at the time,
and I have nothing to complain about.
I'm typically working with Trados, Photoshop, Word and Excel
... See more
In my experience, there are diminishing returns when it comes to throwing computing power at Word and Trados.
When the input file is bad, it's still going to go take its sweet time with it, no matter the number of processor cores.
For work, I'm running a 10 year old i7 setup (it's comparable with today's i3 in terms of specs), which I took care to future-proof at the time,
and I have nothing to complain about.
I'm typically working with Trados, Photoshop, Word and Excel files. Word files are usually OCR-d, with overbloated file sizes, text boxes and formatting all over the place.

I agree with the previous comment about 16 gigs of ram being the minimum.
In my experience, putting the system files together with the work-related environment on a NVMe drive helps with responsiveness,
but ultimately a lot comes down to keeping the system clean - if millions of background programs run immediately on startup,
it's going to slow down no matter what.

Biggest challenge when buying PCs is navigating the mess with all the different components.
Even if you're absolutely not into this stuff, some basic knowledge will help you not get ripped off.
Here's a site I've been using over the years to help me out:
https://www.logicalincrements.com

It separates builds into tiers, which should give you some idea what you're getting for the money, as well as what's considered good and what
is probably overkill (e.g. don't get yourself tricked into putting a RTX 4700 video card in an office desktop).
High-end PC hardware is mostly there to cater to gaming, playing videos in 4K resolution, 3D rendering and video editing,
you don't need that much for word-processing.
Personally, I wouldn't go above "great" tier, depending on your budget and how much you'd like to future proof your purchase.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Recommendations re. Mac and additional PC

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »