ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:33
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Jan 23

Hello,
I need your help regarding the potential purchase a Windows computer. I'm a longstanding Mac user (and I don't plan to change this), but I'm thinking about buying a PC for Trados/Star Transit projects. I'm aware of the Parallels option but I'm not too happy with it. My (quite old) iMac slows down too much. Or might this be better with a new Mac mini?
If I decide to go for a new PC: What can you recommend?
Thanks for your help!

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Just a suggestion Jan 23

Recently, I bought an iMac 2019 with 32 GB RAM for 1500,00 €.

Many graphic guys made the shift to M1, M2, M3 Macs so there is a large selection of used iMacs.

Parallels just flies on this iMac.

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jan 23

Thanks, Hans! So a Mac mini would definitely solve my problems, right ☺️?

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Sorry Jan 23

ibz wrote:

Thanks, Hans! So a Mac mini would definitely solve my problems, right ☺️?

I decided to go for a Mac with an Intel processor. I have no experience with the behavior of Windows on a Mac with M1, M2 or M3.

All I know is that you need a special version of Windows, called Windows on ARM (the M1 etc. are ARM processors).

There are some colleagues who use this Windows version: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Mac4xl8ors/

Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:33
English to French
+ ...
never below 16 Jan 23

Hi,

I always recommend going for a minimum of 16 GB of RAM, because as translators we have to multitask and a big amount of fast RAM is essential for this, be it on PC or on Mac.

M series processors are known to be quite fast, the M3 may be a good option. If it is connected to 16 or 32 GB of RAM, running Windows virtualized in your Mac should give acceptable speed results.

I have been experimenting with Crossover (I recently made a video about it on my chan
... See more
Hi,

I always recommend going for a minimum of 16 GB of RAM, because as translators we have to multitask and a big amount of fast RAM is essential for this, be it on PC or on Mac.

M series processors are known to be quite fast, the M3 may be a good option. If it is connected to 16 or 32 GB of RAM, running Windows virtualized in your Mac should give acceptable speed results.

I have been experimenting with Crossover (I recently made a video about it on my channel https://youtu.be/lNO3XUOTPU4?si=BnHrCV2JmtNXY-5E). It can run several Windows programs without virtualization, so the speed is good. I have managed to install memoQ with it but I can't get it to run so far. If more paying customers ask for it, the Crossover team could maybe manage to find a way to make it run. IMO, it is by far better doing it this way rather than running stuff in a VM. You can test it here: https://bit.ly/3SqISVv .

Hope this helps.
Collapse

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jan 23

Thanks for your comments, Hans and Philippe.

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Hans Jan 23

Just to get you right: to make Windows work on a Mac mini, I would have to get Windows on ARM?
I ask because if I decide to replace my old iMacs, I would very much prefer to buy the latest machines and as far as I know, Apple stopped developping iMacs ...

Philippe Locquet
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
ARM Jan 23

ibz wrote:

Just to get you right: to make Windows work on a Mac mini, I would have to get Windows on ARM?
I ask because if I decide to replace my old iMacs, I would very much prefer to buy the latest machines and as far as I know, Apple stopped developping iMacs ...

Seems to be the only option, and ARM does not perform well. https://machow2.com/download-virtualbox-apple-silicon/

So, it may be a good way to spend your money to have 1 good screen connected to a powerful Mac mini and a Mini PC (Ryzen 7 is good). https://www.amazon.es/dp/B09X2PMLD9/ That would probably be cheaper still that to get an iMac and with 0 headaches. But, there are many other options.

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
??? Jan 23

ibz wrote:

as far as I know, Apple stopped developping iMacs ...

Apple did not stop developping iMacs.

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Jan Jan 24

I'm sorry, I meant no iMac with a 27 inch screen.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Re: minis Jan 24

Philippe Locquet wrote:
So, it may be a good way to spend your money to have 1 good screen connected to a powerful Mac mini and a Mini PC (Ryzen 7 is good).

Mini PCs are not the same as mini Macs. Even if you buy a mini PC with the latest specs, you may find yourself severely limited in just a year or two. Mini PCs tend to be sluggish compared to a desktop PC. If you buy a PC, and you want to run something heavy on it, consider buying a proper, usual, normal-sized one, i.e. one that takes up space on the floor under your desk.

The mini PC mentioned by Philippe is a "Ryzen 7", true, but don't be fooled -- it is a 4-core processor, while the very cheapest Ryzen 7 for desktop PC is 8-core with a single-thread CPU benchmark rating that's 50% higher than that of the mini PC. (Single-thread performance is what you should be looking at, since Trados is a single-core program.)

That said, the mini PC mentioned by Philippe is just $300, so it may be worth taking the risk ($300 is chump change for Mac users, as I understand it). Just make sure the price includes everything that you think it does: it is not unusual for a PC mini to be sold with very little RAM and very little storage, or even no RAM and no storage (the one mentioned by Philippe seems to include 16 GB of RAM and a 512 GB SSD).

FWIW, I'm not a Mac user, so I was surprised when I compared the actual physical sizes of the Mac mini (20 cm square) to the regular size of PC minis (13 cm square).

[Edited at 2024-01-24 08:54 GMT]

Philippe Locquet
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
Agree Jan 24

Samuel Murray wrote:
The mini PC mentioned by Philippe is a "Ryzen 7", true, but don't be fooled -- it is a 4-core processor, while the very cheapest Ryzen 7 for desktop PC is 8-core with a single-thread CPU benchmark rating that's 50% higher than that of the mini PC. (Single-thread performance is what you should be looking at, since Trados is a single-core program.)

True.
The perspective was for a Mac user being in a position to run well enough memoQ and Trados so the translator doesn't have to refuse a CAT-specific job. If you want true power with zero compromise, then yep, get a power box.

I'm scratching my head to see if there's a way to run these via Crossover on Mac. The day this happens, it will make life easier for many MacOS users.

ibz

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
CrossOver Jan 24

Philippe Locquet wrote:

I'm scratching my head to see if there's a way to run these via Crossover on Mac. The day this happens, it will make life easier for many MacOS users.

Both memoQ and Trados are, unlike CafeTran Espresso, depending heavily on third-party components. I don't expect memoQ nor Trados to run on CrossOver ever. Parallels is good enough for the tasks that I want to do with them (downloading projects that I'll then translate with CafeTran Espresso).

Here's the reason why.

Wolfgang Schoene

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
You don't need much Jan 24

I know I have mentioned this many times, but it bears repeating: you don't need a super-fast machine for Trados. Trados 2019 works fine here on a modest PC with an old Intel Core i3 6100, equipped with only two cores. This is slower than the Ryzen CPU that was linked to earlier, but I do a lot of work and earn a lot of money using this hardware. The one thing it won't do is play games of any complexity.

Yes, I keep thinking I should upgrade, but because there is nothing about the sy
... See more
I know I have mentioned this many times, but it bears repeating: you don't need a super-fast machine for Trados. Trados 2019 works fine here on a modest PC with an old Intel Core i3 6100, equipped with only two cores. This is slower than the Ryzen CPU that was linked to earlier, but I do a lot of work and earn a lot of money using this hardware. The one thing it won't do is play games of any complexity.

Yes, I keep thinking I should upgrade, but because there is nothing about the system that causes problems for me on a day-to-day basis, I have refrained (so far). If I were to buy a desktop - and my next system is likely to be a laptop - I might spend a little bit more to get a little bit of future-proofing, but then again, if the entire system is priced at €300 then the cost of upgrading in a year or two is minimal in any case.

So to ibz I would suggest getting the kind of system recommended by Philippe, and seeing how it goes.

Dan
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Source documents Jan 24

Dan Lucas wrote:

I know I have mentioned this many times, but it bears repeating: you don't need a super-fast machine for Trados. Trados 2019 works fine here on a modest PC with an old Intel Core i3 6100, equipped with only two cores.

Can you tell us something about the size and complexity of your source documents, Dan?

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Recommendations re. Mac and additional PC

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »