Kati Bumbera
Kati Bumbera  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:51
Hungarian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Same job but two different things Jan 27, 2009

The other thread is about the same job but related to a different thing: that one was about the statements of the witnesses (which is a written document taken in the original language then translated into English, in writing), this one is about the interview with the suspect, (different guy in the same case) which is a tape recorded interview. What we are talking about now is the transcript (or written summary) of the audio recording.

To be honest I think I need someone in the UK to
... See more
The other thread is about the same job but related to a different thing: that one was about the statements of the witnesses (which is a written document taken in the original language then translated into English, in writing), this one is about the interview with the suspect, (different guy in the same case) which is a tape recorded interview. What we are talking about now is the transcript (or written summary) of the audio recording.

To be honest I think I need someone in the UK to help with this, I really appreciate everyone's comments but it's more of a question about how the UK system works and I guess it's very different everywhere else. Thanks anyway!
Collapse

Sherefedin MUSTAFA
Sherefedin MUSTAFA
Netherlands
Dutch to Albanian
+ ...
Am I missing something? Jan 27, 2009

IMHO the interpreters are involved in police investigations in search for evidence which, of course, can be used in court. I don’t see anything wrong with that.

If you have done your work as you are supposed to do it, there will be no problem.

At least in the Netherlands, when interpreting for the police, all interrogation sessions are ended by reading the testimony to the interrogated person who signs for having understood and for acceptance of the content of his t
... See more
IMHO the interpreters are involved in police investigations in search for evidence which, of course, can be used in court. I don’t see anything wrong with that.

If you have done your work as you are supposed to do it, there will be no problem.

At least in the Netherlands, when interpreting for the police, all interrogation sessions are ended by reading the testimony to the interrogated person who signs for having understood and for acceptance of the content of his testimony.
All these signed statements can be used at court.
Nowadays interrogations in criminal cases are even being video recorded in order to increase the transparency of police work.
Collapse

Stephen Franke
Stephen Franke
United States
Local time: 21:51
English to Arabic
+ ...
Partial transcript & translation of police interview - defense lawyers love them Jan 27, 2009

Greetings.

Even if you provided a clearly-annotated "partial transcript" of that police interview, a competent and hungry defense lawyer [based on those I have observed in criminal courts in southern California] can and will tear that "partial transcript" into shreds when it is introduced as evidence in court under rules of discovery and due process.

My advice would be either to provide a full transcript, while marking inaudible or unintelligible portions as they appea
... See more
Greetings.

Even if you provided a clearly-annotated "partial transcript" of that police interview, a competent and hungry defense lawyer [based on those I have observed in criminal courts in southern California] can and will tear that "partial transcript" into shreds when it is introduced as evidence in court under rules of discovery and due process.

My advice would be either to provide a full transcript, while marking inaudible or unintelligible portions as they appear throughout the transcript, or to not touch that proposed job otherwise.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
San Pedro, California
Collapse

Aline C.
Aline C.

Local time: 05:51
English to Finnish
Very fishy Jan 27, 2009

Dear Kati,

1. Do I understand correctly - you were interpreting for both the suspect (on tape) and the witness (statement taking) in the same case?

2. If this is so, it is irregular. The standard is to have one interpreter for the suspect/defendant and a different one for witness whether at court or at a police station.

3. I am not aware that the police can edit the recorded interview (=tampering with evidence?). This is done when the case goes to cour
... See more
Dear Kati,

1. Do I understand correctly - you were interpreting for both the suspect (on tape) and the witness (statement taking) in the same case?

2. If this is so, it is irregular. The standard is to have one interpreter for the suspect/defendant and a different one for witness whether at court or at a police station.

3. I am not aware that the police can edit the recorded interview (=tampering with evidence?). This is done when the case goes to court, both lawyers have FULL transcripts and then they may decide to edit them for various reasons (eg. to remove some names or facts that do not refer to the case), but the police cannot do it themselves.

4. The interview is recorded on three tapes (a) master copy (b) working copy for the police (c) copy for the interviewee, which is usually sent to his/her lawyer. The lawyer may then prepare their own transcript of the tape and compare it with the police transcript. THis may include retranslation of what is said in the other language but this is done on the instructions of the lawyer, not the police.

5. Transcribing the tapes in English is a job done by the police. An interpreter does not do it.

6. Conclusion: the police officer you work for does not have a clue. If you are a meber of NRPSI, read the Code of Conduct. You can always say; "my code of conduct prevents me from doing it".

PACE is for the police, NRPSI Code of Conduct is for interpreters, read both.

Hope it helps.

Kasia
Collapse

Kati Bumbera
France
Hungarian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Kasia! (see below) Jan 27, 2009

Hi Kasia,

1. Yes.

2-4. Thanks, I didn't know all of that...makes sense though.

5. Yes, it was done by the police (or by someone they employed). I wasn't asked to transcribe the tape myself, only to check if the transcription is accurate.

6. I have a copy of the NRPSI code of conduct, but it only seems to contain generic common sense stuff. It doesn't go into details like this. Thank goodness for random strangers on the internet and their kindne
... See more
Hi Kasia,

1. Yes.

2-4. Thanks, I didn't know all of that...makes sense though.

5. Yes, it was done by the police (or by someone they employed). I wasn't asked to transcribe the tape myself, only to check if the transcription is accurate.

6. I have a copy of the NRPSI code of conduct, but it only seems to contain generic common sense stuff. It doesn't go into details like this. Thank goodness for random strangers on the internet and their kindness! (Seriously, thanks a lot Kasia.)

I'll call them tomorrow and tell them that I won't do it and then send them back the tape.

Thanks again to all who tried to help.

Kati
Collapse

Steve Derry
Steve Derry  Identity Verified
Spain
German to English
+ ...
Hope this helps Jan 27, 2009

Hi, I have been a Police Officer for 15 years and also hold the IOL DPSI in Spanish/English Law, so hopefully I can assist you from both sides of the fence, as it were.

1 - Depending on the complexity and seriousness of the alleged offence, it is not unusual to submit a precis (known as a Short Descriptive Note or SDN)of the interview, particularly if a guilty plea is anticipated.

2 - The Police need to submit the file to the CPS for a charging decision, therefore (and
... See more
Hi, I have been a Police Officer for 15 years and also hold the IOL DPSI in Spanish/English Law, so hopefully I can assist you from both sides of the fence, as it were.

1 - Depending on the complexity and seriousness of the alleged offence, it is not unusual to submit a precis (known as a Short Descriptive Note or SDN)of the interview, particularly if a guilty plea is anticipated.

2 - The Police need to submit the file to the CPS for a charging decision, therefore (and this would not be unusual) it may be in response to a request from the CPS to send the material to you.

3 - What was said during the interview may be at odds with other evidence or the comments of other suspects and clarification may be required before submitting the precis.

4 - Should the matter proceed to trial, the only forms of the interview that can be submitted as evidence are the original tape and a full transcript of the interview. (Only the English is transcribed. If the suspect disputes saying something, the sealed master tape would be played in Court). In my experience, the written transcript is signed and produced as an exhibit by the officer. Of course, the transcript my be edited before it is read out ot the jury, but this would happen following agreement between Defence and Prosecution Counsel.

There could be a whole host of reasons for asking you to do this, ranging from unfamiliarity of working with interpreters to responding to a request from the CPS. It may just be that the officer needs some reassurance that the precis is an accurate summary of the overall interview, which strictly speaking he/she could do from the English, but bear in mind that he/she may have no experience with foreign languages therefore the fact that something said in Spanish can be translated with much less words into English may not help.

I'm afraid I can't (or shouldn't!) advise with regards to charging as policy/rates may vary from Force to Force. I have my thoughts (which I believe you would agree with) but I will keep them to myself. (My email is on my profile if you have any further questions I can help with).

All the best.
Collapse

Kati Bumbera
France
Hungarian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Derrio Jan 28, 2009

Thank you for clarifying this Derrio!

Aline C.
Aline C.

Local time: 05:51
English to Finnish
Common sense Jan 28, 2009

Yes, Derrio's message is very interesting and it seems to me that that it suggests that the problem lies with the police officer Kati dealt with.

Interpreter's role is not to 'reassure the police officer that the precis is an accurate summary of the overall interview'. It is the police officer who is in charge of the interview and it is the police officer who does the precis, not the interpreter. Surely, there are other people he can ask within his work setting for reassurance?
... See more
Yes, Derrio's message is very interesting and it seems to me that that it suggests that the problem lies with the police officer Kati dealt with.

Interpreter's role is not to 'reassure the police officer that the precis is an accurate summary of the overall interview'. It is the police officer who is in charge of the interview and it is the police officer who does the precis, not the interpreter. Surely, there are other people he can ask within his work setting for reassurance?

Yes, we are paid from the police's coffers but we are independent of the police. I assume Kati is a freelancer, not an employee? That is why Derrio's perspective - as a serving police officer - might be different from a view point of a freelancer and what seems quite OK to him, might be very unusual to a self-employed linguist.

Glad to hear that you decided not to do it.

Best,

Kasia
Collapse

Kati Bumbera
France
Hungarian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
update Jan 29, 2009

Hi again, just wanted to let you know that I rang the police to say no, I spoke to a kind, if a bit confused lady, (the one who signed the letter) she didn't put up much of a fight, just asked me to put my reasons in writing. If I ever hear about it again I'll probably be back with more questions. For now thanks again everyone!

hdblue (X)
hdblue (X)
Police interview questions Mar 31, 2011

Kati Bumbera wrote:

Hi again, just wanted to let you know that I rang the police to say no, I spoke to a kind, if a bit confused lady, (the one who signed the letter) she didn't put up much of a fight, just asked me to put my reasons in writing. If I ever hear about it again I'll probably be back with more questions. For now thanks again everyone!

Hi,

I agreed with you.Your points of view make me thinking about some thing for my project.

Pls try to keep posting. Tks and best regards

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Please help re: written transcript of audio recorded police interview

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »