UN Interpreters opinions needed
Thread poster: 1998Ruby1998 (X)
1998Ruby1998 (X)
1998Ruby1998 (X)
Hong Kong
Jan 9, 2016

Hi, I am new around here...I don't know if there are any other posts that are same/similar to mine here.
So I have always wanted to be an interpreter at the UN, I am applying for local universities in Hong Kong and I am pretty sure that I stand a chance in getting a place in those translation/linguistics programmes. There are no interpreting programmes, at most one or two lessons on interpreting in those.
I know it's a little bit too early to think for my future, but I am the type of
... See more
Hi, I am new around here...I don't know if there are any other posts that are same/similar to mine here.
So I have always wanted to be an interpreter at the UN, I am applying for local universities in Hong Kong and I am pretty sure that I stand a chance in getting a place in those translation/linguistics programmes. There are no interpreting programmes, at most one or two lessons on interpreting in those.
I know it's a little bit too early to think for my future, but I am the type of person who carefully plans ahead. The local interpreting market is so competitive and insecure. All university graduates are bilingual and there seem to be no chance at all. I have seen tons of translation students now working as a clerk or just a staff in some companies.
Apart from Mandarin, Cantonese and English, I also learn a bit Russian myself and I plan to study Russian further in universities (also considering learning French or Arabic then). I have taken a look at the UN website, there's the Chinese section and everything appears exactly what I always want. But then, in some websites, people say those Chinese interpreters are appointed by the Chinese government.
I have the UK passport, but then the UN seems to only sort people out by their native languages. Can I apply for the English section even though my native is Chinese? Though I am native in Chinese, my English is actually a lot better. If they want proof, I can take the IELTS or any other language qualifications. And another question is that in Hong Kong, we use Traditional Chinese characters even though we can read Simplified. Is UN going to let me write in Traditional Chinese characters for their language examinations? (Oh well, I guess nobody can really answer this...) If not, I will have to start working on it then.
Oh, another thing, how much working experience does UN interpreters require? I cannot find this anywhere but I think one needs 4 years?
Sorry if my questions raised have been asked over and over for dozen times. If so, please give me the link, thanks!
Collapse

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:23
Portuguese to English
+ ...
I doubt there are any UN interpreters on this site Jan 10, 2016

You'll have better results if you post your question on Interpreting.info.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

UN Interpreters opinions needed

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »