Bart Pauly
Bart Pauly  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:17
English to Dutch
+ ...
Mar 1, 2016

Hi everybody,

I've recently been offered a subtitling project from English into Dutch, but I'm new in this business (I have experience in the field at student level). It are videos about extreme sports, and I have the following information:

- The script in English will be provided.

- It will be enough with Subtitle Workshop, EZTitles…

- Our videos are short, very entertaining and with no much text on it. Kindly be
... See more
Hi everybody,

I've recently been offered a subtitling project from English into Dutch, but I'm new in this business (I have experience in the field at student level). It are videos about extreme sports, and I have the following information:

- The script in English will be provided.

- It will be enough with Subtitle Workshop, EZTitles…

- Our videos are short, very entertaining and with no much text on it. Kindly be reminded that in this case the subtitles are already timecoded and that you just need to substitute the English text for the Dutch.

Does anyone have any idea what would be acceptable/unacceptable rates per minute?

Any help would be appreciated!

Many thanks,
Collapse

Victoria Britten
Victoria Britten  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Acceptable rates are per subtitle Mar 1, 2016

- in principle - just so as you know. A feature film and a documentary will have nothing like the same number of subtitles per minute, for example. If your client doesn't know much about the business, they may not know that (though they should) and it might just be worth trying to push that angle. Either way, since you have some experience, ask to see the job, work out how long it will take you, add fifteen minutes for getting started, work out how much that would be at your usual hourly rate an... See more
- in principle - just so as you know. A feature film and a documentary will have nothing like the same number of subtitles per minute, for example. If your client doesn't know much about the business, they may not know that (though they should) and it might just be worth trying to push that angle. Either way, since you have some experience, ask to see the job, work out how long it will take you, add fifteen minutes for getting started, work out how much that would be at your usual hourly rate and divide that by the number of minutes/number of subtitles.Collapse

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Germany
English to German
In memoriam
Why not pay per word? Mar 1, 2016

In the scenario you describe it would be better for everyone if the price was calculated per word and not per minute of video. If the client says there is only little text, the better for him. And since the time codes are already there, the actual work does really only consist of translating, so it should be paid accordingly. (In fact, the translating work will be a little more complicated than normal because of the narrow character limits in subtitling. You have to rephrase things often because... See more
In the scenario you describe it would be better for everyone if the price was calculated per word and not per minute of video. If the client says there is only little text, the better for him. And since the time codes are already there, the actual work does really only consist of translating, so it should be paid accordingly. (In fact, the translating work will be a little more complicated than normal because of the narrow character limits in subtitling. You have to rephrase things often because the straightforward translation will be too long).

In reality, paying per minute of video induces a high risk for the translator. You can easily accomodate 200 words in one minute of video. At, say, $0.10 per word that would be $20 per minute of video, but the agency probably offers far less. Rates like $1-$3 per minute are unacceptable, I think. My advice would be to make a per-word agreement.
Collapse

Andreea-Maria Soricu

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Subtitling rates English to Dutch with script provided

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »