Thread poster: Melina C.M.
Melina C.M.
Melina C.M.
Argentina
Local time: 12:28
English to Spanish
Aug 27, 2012

Hi everyone,

Im new to website localization and I started doing some research on how to go about it. To my surprise I found out that a lot of knowledge, skills and software are required. I´ve been reading many threads related to this topic but I couldn´t find anything such as:

1. What is the best tool to localize static websites?
2. What is the best tool to localize dynamic websites?
3. What project management tool can support any of the tools needed to go
... See more
Hi everyone,

Im new to website localization and I started doing some research on how to go about it. To my surprise I found out that a lot of knowledge, skills and software are required. I´ve been reading many threads related to this topic but I couldn´t find anything such as:

1. What is the best tool to localize static websites?
2. What is the best tool to localize dynamic websites?
3. What project management tool can support any of the tools needed to go about static and dynamic websites?

Any comments or ideas will be much appreciated!

Thank you!
Collapse

christela (X)
christela (X)
In short Aug 27, 2012

1. SDL Trados, Wordfast Pro, ... most recent CATs can be used to translate html.
As far as I know, POEdit and so on aren't used anymore.

2. Same thing. You will be given Excel, Word or txt files, you deliver in the same format. Just follow the webmaster's instructions, if you don't he cannot use the output in his CMS. It is very repetitive and sometimes boring: you are translating strings, you don't see the text as a whole.

3. In my opinion, these are totally diff
... See more
1. SDL Trados, Wordfast Pro, ... most recent CATs can be used to translate html.
As far as I know, POEdit and so on aren't used anymore.

2. Same thing. You will be given Excel, Word or txt files, you deliver in the same format. Just follow the webmaster's instructions, if you don't he cannot use the output in his CMS. It is very repetitive and sometimes boring: you are translating strings, you don't see the text as a whole.

3. In my opinion, these are totally different things. The simpliest management tool is a sheet of paper, but you can also put your information in an Excel file or even use the Windows tree structure to organize your files in the way you want. There are also specialized tools, other translators will tell you more about that.
Collapse

Melina C.M.
Melina C.M.
Argentina
Local time: 12:28
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
content extraction Aug 28, 2012

Thank you Christela for your answer. It was very clear.

Now, what about content extraction? Because I´ve been told that if I have to extract content from a dynamic website is not as easy and straightforward as in a static site.
Ideally, the client would be working with a webmaster but I came across many cases in which the client did not take care of his site and once the website was finished he did not hear from the webmaster again. In such cases, I´d like to know who you as
... See more
Thank you Christela for your answer. It was very clear.

Now, what about content extraction? Because I´ve been told that if I have to extract content from a dynamic website is not as easy and straightforward as in a static site.
Ideally, the client would be working with a webmaster but I came across many cases in which the client did not take care of his site and once the website was finished he did not hear from the webmaster again. In such cases, I´d like to know who you ask for the extracted text, or where to take it from.

Thank you in advance!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Static and Dynamic website localization- CAT and PM tools

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »