Thread poster: Textklick
Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:59
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Nov 25, 2012

I'm surprised that this hasn't been posted here before and offer my apologies to those who long since know about it or consider it to be advertising (but as it's not referenced in the 'Books' section, surely it should be mentioned somewhere?)

Well-known American professional guru Kevin Lossner http://www.proz.com/translator/28702 has for
... See more
I'm surprised that this hasn't been posted here before and offer my apologies to those who long since know about it or consider it to be advertising (but as it's not referenced in the 'Books' section, surely it should be mentioned somewhere?)

Well-known American professional guru Kevin Lossner http://www.proz.com/translator/28702 has for some time been publishing his blog http://www.translationtribulations.com/ which is refreshing in terms of its independent viewpoint and practical nature.

KSL always looks at issues as they evolve with a view to providing workable alternatives that are not just what vendors believe the market needs, but rather what translators actually need. He is not so much one to pull out the heavy artillery on specific software applications, but rather one to encourage their interfunctionality, reserving any venom more for the questionable attitudes of vendors rather than their offerings.

In recent times, his leanings have been more and more towards memoQ and he has provided useful articles of the "Did you know?" type which are so often more useful than digging through the FAQs, assiduously-structured as they may be.

These articles then led on to a series of brief tutorials which he branded "memoQuickies", believing that a blizzard of detail was not always the easiest way to make your compass bearings visible.

In the meantime, many of these – together with a host of further useful information – have been summarised into book form and the final product is now available here: http://www.lulu.com/shop/kevin-lossner/memoq-6-in-quick-steps/ebook/product-20503773.html

I would style myself neither as a newcomer to the application nor as an expert user; personally I found this reference work to be very useful indeed. Sensible thought has clearly been applied not just to the content, but also to the structure.

A fast-track solution that I am sure has already spared Kilgrays excellent support people from a fair few e-mails. Indeed, whilst it is not an 'official publication', memoQ vendor Kilgray speaks very positively in its blog: http://kilgray.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Kevin%20Lossner
Collapse

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
German to English
+ ...
Thank you, Chris Dec 2, 2012

I owe the content of that book for the most part to questions that many clients and colleagues asked over the past year; you are among the "guilty" in that respect.

This book actually started out as a documentation project mostly focused on Trados and Déjà Vu about a decade ago, which led me to start monitoring the forums here to identify recurring patterns of trouble. But when I actually started to write up the ideas developed and apply them to memoQ, the effort stalled for most
... See more
I owe the content of that book for the most part to questions that many clients and colleagues asked over the past year; you are among the "guilty" in that respect.

This book actually started out as a documentation project mostly focused on Trados and Déjà Vu about a decade ago, which led me to start monitoring the forums here to identify recurring patterns of trouble. But when I actually started to write up the ideas developed and apply them to memoQ, the effort stalled for most of a year until a friend pointed out that my short tutorials were the only ones she could make it through without putting on her hiking books and packing a heavy lunch, and she showed me a collection of printouts of my memoQuickies that she kept on her desk for reference. That was a surprise....

I think a lot of other tools and concepts could benefit from more explanation and "less" of it. I started using software called ScreenSteps to do help documentation for an online workflow system I localize, and I found the practical, results-oriented approach recommended by the tool's designers to be a welcome change from the usual dray and rather useless tours of menu functions in software. I mean really... how many functions do you use in your major software tools? MS Word? I doubt I use 5%. And no matter how nifty a feature might be, I won't remember it until the day I have an urgent need for it, then I need a concise explanation fast.

I noticed today that Jost Zetzsche reviewed memoQ 6 in Quick Steps in Issue 12-12-216 of his Tool Box Newsletter. He always has an interesting take on things, and I was fascinated to see what parts of the content drew his attention.
Collapse

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
What better reference? Dec 2, 2012

KSL Berlin wrote:

I noticed today that Jost Zetzsche reviewed memoQ 6 in Quick Steps in Issue 12-12-216 of his Tool Box Newsletter. He always has an interesting take on things, and I was fascinated to see what parts of the content drew his attention.

Yes, I was wondering whether you would get a mention in Jost's newsletter when it clicked into my mailbox and sure enough, there it was. Congratulations on a well-deserved award of the "Good Housekeeping Seal"

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

memoQ 6 in Quick Steps

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »