Off topic: Hard to watch, but may save lives. (Video on transportation safety / driving while impaired)
Thread poster: Suzan Hamer
Suzan Hamer
Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:41
English
+ ...
Dec 28, 2012

I've posted this a few years ago and feel it bears repeating every year about this time. If it saves one life, I don't mind being thought a bore or nag. Watching it once was enough for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2mf8DtWWd8

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2012-12-28 20:42 GMT]

Jacqueline Sieben
Jacqueline Sieben  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
Yes, Dec 28, 2012

very hard to watch but necessary.

Thanks for posting. I think this should be broadcasted on a regular basis - worldwide.

[Edited at 2012-12-28 12:43 GMT]

Suzan Hamer
Netherlands
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well, unless it violates Proz rules, Dec 28, 2012

I intend to post it every year.

patrick73b
patrick73b
China
Local time: 23:41
Chinese to English
+ ...
Youtube is blocked in China Dec 28, 2012

Thanks Suzan for posting, but guys here can not watch it.

Do you have access to something like www.tudou.com or www.youku.com?

Thanks!

Patrick

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:41
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Proz should have nothing against it Dec 28, 2012

Proz tries to save your money from scammers. This video tries to spare your life - much more precious - from drunken drivers.

In ancient times I worked for the late Seagram company during four years. They managed to engrave their enjoy our quality in moderation slogan on my mind. My office was neatly decorated with actual liquor and wine bottles (I never drank from any of them), altogether in sufficient quantity to drive anyone into a
... See more
Proz tries to save your money from scammers. This video tries to spare your life - much more precious - from drunken drivers.

In ancient times I worked for the late Seagram company during four years. They managed to engrave their enjoy our quality in moderation slogan on my mind. My office was neatly decorated with actual liquor and wine bottles (I never drank from any of them), altogether in sufficient quantity to drive anyone into an alcoholic coma. However the company served me enough 'moderation in quality' for a lifetime.

It is sad that Seagram's successors didn't preserve that slogan, nor any (drunken?) politician passed a law anywhere making it mandatory to print that phrase on every piece of packaging (perhaps omitting the 'our quality', if unavailable, to include cheap booze as well) containing alcoholic beverages.

I see governments overly concerned with cigarettes, trying to forbid smoking everywhere they can, to make a bundle on fines, while drunken drivers - much more deadly - are left on the loose.
Collapse

Raitei
Raitei
Japan
Japanese to English
Everyone needs to relax a bit. Dec 28, 2012

It isn't like the posted a link to A Serbian Film.

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 18:41
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Country of Origin? Dec 28, 2012

A sad movie to watch, indeed. Every teenager should watch it once. By the way, is this a British movie? Is TAC British? Anybody knows?

Suzan Hamer
Netherlands
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I believe it's Australian. Dec 28, 2012

http://www.tac.vic.gov.au/about-us/overview

Suzan Hamer
Netherlands
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Further information: Dec 30, 2012

On December 10th 1989 the first TAC commercial went to air. In that year the road toll was 776; by last year 2008 it had fallen to 303.
A five minute retrospective of the road safety campaigns produced by the TAC over the last 20 years has been compiled. The montage features iconic scenes and images from commercials that have helped change they way we drive, all edited to the moving song Everybody Hurts by REM.

This campaign is a chance to revisit some of the images that have
... See more
On December 10th 1989 the first TAC commercial went to air. In that year the road toll was 776; by last year 2008 it had fallen to 303.
A five minute retrospective of the road safety campaigns produced by the TAC over the last 20 years has been compiled. The montage features iconic scenes and images from commercials that have helped change they way we drive, all edited to the moving song Everybody Hurts by REM.

This campaign is a chance to revisit some of the images that have been engraved on our memories, remember the many thousands of people who have been affected by road trauma and remind us all that for everyones sake; please, drive safely.
Transport Accident Commission Victoria.
http://www.tac.vic.gov.au
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:41
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Thanks, Suzan! Dec 30, 2012

I forwarded the link to various forums / people - the feedback is incredible.

A happy and safe New Year to you all!

Suzan Hamer
Netherlands
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Nicole. Dec 31, 2012

Horrific as it is, the more people who see it, the better.

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 18:41
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
New Year's Safety Resolutions Dec 31, 2012

http://news.consumerreports.org/cars/2012/12/10-new-years-safety-resolutions-for-drivers.html

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Hard to watch, but may save lives. (Video on transportation safety / driving while impaired)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »