How can I change the writing direction in comments?
Persoa que publicou o fío: Natalie
Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 22:30
Membro (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

MODERADOR
SITE LOCALIZER
Jan 21, 2010

Hi everybody,

I am editing a Word DOC and need to insert some comments there. The problem is that when I am writing the text of the comment, the direction of the text is from right to left. Where can I change this? Everything other in the document is absolutely fine, and the problem concerns the comments only.

I use Word 2003 under XP.

Many thanks for your help!
Natalia

[Edited at 2010-01-21 14:29 GMT]

Brand Localization
Brand Localization
Egypt
Local time: 23:30
German to Arabic
+ ...
2 options Jan 21, 2010

You can do this in 2 ways:
1- Format | Paragraph | Text direction=> left to right
2- Try to press the 2 buttons Ctrl + Shift on the left side of your keyboard at the same time

In order to save your time, you can first select the whole text by pressing Ctrl + A

hopefully, this would help you overcoming this problem

Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
Membro
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Style? Jan 21, 2010

Hi Natalie,

Highlight the text in the comment, click on the double-A icon of "style" (first item on the formatting toolbar).
On the right-hand side, a new side bar comes up: you should see "Formatting of selected text" with a box under. The box contains "Comment references".
Click on the box; on its right-hand side a downward arrow shows up.
Click on the arrow; and click on "reveal formatting". Check the contents -- for example, under Language.
Click on t
... See more
Hi Natalie,

Highlight the text in the comment, click on the double-A icon of "style" (first item on the formatting toolbar).
On the right-hand side, a new side bar comes up: you should see "Formatting of selected text" with a box under. The box contains "Comment references".
Click on the box; on its right-hand side a downward arrow shows up.
Click on the arrow; and click on "reveal formatting". Check the contents -- for example, under Language.
Click on the first part item in the list, "Character style", then "Modify", then "Format" (bottom left), then "Language" to set the language if that's the problem.
If that's not the problem, let us know what you see when the formatting of the selected text is revealed.

Kind regards,
Attila

[Edited at 2010-01-21 14:49 GMT]
Collapse

Natalie
Poland
Membro (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

MODERADOR
INICIO DE TEMA
SITE LOCALIZER
Does not help... Jan 21, 2010

1) There is no "left to right" or other similar options under "paragraph" (I have Polish Office and Polish Windows, and have never worked with any RTL languages)

2) The language is set to English (the doc is in Russian, but I am writing comments in English); there is absolutely nothing strange or unusual in the style/formatting options

Natalie
Poland
Membro (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

MODERADOR
INICIO DE TEMA
SITE LOCALIZER
I have sent the file Jan 21, 2010

with the comments written from right to left. Still, I would be really interested how to change these options...

Natalia

Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
Membro
English to Hungarian
+ ...
"System locale" of the computer where the doc was created? Jan 22, 2010

Working with documents created on a Japanese client's computer, I encountered some strange behavior that was vaguely similar. The problem was possibly due to the different "system locale" settings used on the two computers. Can this be your case?

Kind regards,
Attila

Natalie
Poland
Membro (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

MODERADOR
INICIO DE TEMA
SITE LOCALIZER
Sure Jan 22, 2010

Hi Attila,

I am more than sure that is was due to the settings in the client's computer. However, the problem was how to get rid of them without complete removal of styles or copying everything to a new empty document.

Natalia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I change the writing direction in comments?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »