What is involved in reindexing a translation?
Persoa que publicou o fío: Sandra Alboum
Sandra Alboum
Sandra Alboum  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:35
Membro (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 3, 2010

We are quoting on a project that involves translating a book that has an existing index in the back with reference pages for terms that appear. The client has asked how much it will cost to "reindex" the piece -- i.e., translate the index and make sure that the page references are correct. (Or at least that's how I understand it.)

Has anyone done something like this before? What's involved? Is there software that can recreate an index so I can find all instances of specific term
... See more
We are quoting on a project that involves translating a book that has an existing index in the back with reference pages for terms that appear. The client has asked how much it will cost to "reindex" the piece -- i.e., translate the index and make sure that the page references are correct. (Or at least that's how I understand it.)

Has anyone done something like this before? What's involved? Is there software that can recreate an index so I can find all instances of specific terms in a text and cross reference with their page numbers?

Something like

Dogs 6, 17

turning into

Perros 7, 18 (because the text ran long and everything got bumped a page)

Please help!

Thanks.
Sandra
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:35
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Maybe this will do it Mar 3, 2010

I never had to create a word index, but this looks like it might be what you're looking for (in Word 2007):
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/HP012264991033.aspx

Dr. Derk von Moock
Dr. Derk von Moock
Greece
Local time: 23:35
Greek to German
+ ...
Its like you think Mar 3, 2010

But don't forget: Indexing can be done only after the layout is done. If the layout is done with QuarkXpress or InDesign .... Word won't help. You will have to do it by hand or with the program they use.
Derk

RieM
RieM  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:35
English to Japanese
+ ...
regenerating the index file Mar 3, 2010

It means to translate index entries (should be inserted already, hence "re"-indexing") and generate a new index file, which contains all entries sorted properly, as opposed to just translate the index file given. It may require a little tweaking with the index file template (if provided).

I do not believe the client is asking you to insert new indexes.. but I'm not 100 percent sure. Do you have source files? If so, just take a look.

Regards,
Rie

As
... See more
It means to translate index entries (should be inserted already, hence "re"-indexing") and generate a new index file, which contains all entries sorted properly, as opposed to just translate the index file given. It may require a little tweaking with the index file template (if provided).

I do not believe the client is asking you to insert new indexes.. but I'm not 100 percent sure. Do you have source files? If so, just take a look.

Regards,
Rie

As for quoting, (assuming I'm right about reindexing), it is probably easy to start with roughly counting how many entries are in the source index file. Translation might require some degree of transcreation rather than literal translation so the these index pages become as useful in the target language.

By the way, Word does have indexing capability.

[Edited at 2010-03-03 19:45 GMT]
Collapse

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
translate the index and make sure that the page references are correct? Mar 3, 2010

Sandra dixit: The client has asked how much it will cost to "reindex" the piece -- i.e., translate the index and make sure that the page references are correct.

In this case, I think one have simply to translate the text, then translate the index, and finally match numbers with pages: a quite simple and fast job (if the file is not too long) that in publishing houses is made by editors (not translators) and that is to be made, clearly, with the software used for printing run
s
... See more
Sandra dixit: The client has asked how much it will cost to "reindex" the piece -- i.e., translate the index and make sure that the page references are correct.

In this case, I think one have simply to translate the text, then translate the index, and finally match numbers with pages: a quite simple and fast job (if the file is not too long) that in publishing houses is made by editors (not translators) and that is to be made, clearly, with the software used for printing run
so I think it's better to ask them for clarifications

for example, ICD-9 English entries don't follow the same order than ICD-9 Spanish entries, so I think there is no reason to move entries: i.e. English and Spanish indexes will be naturally differently ordered

Claudio

[Modificato alle 2010-03-03 21:56 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is involved in reindexing a translation?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »