Thread poster: Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:40
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Apr 11, 2010

I would like to know how to count words in PowerPoint using Windows Vista. It seems that on older versions of Windows there is a way of getting statistics but I can't find it on Vista. In addition, it counts words but not characters. I usually paste the file slide by slide into a Word file but this takes too much time, I have had some files with 200 or more text boxes that have to be pasted in one by one (otherwise they do not get counted) - some people use text boxes for one or two characters! ... See more
I would like to know how to count words in PowerPoint using Windows Vista. It seems that on older versions of Windows there is a way of getting statistics but I can't find it on Vista. In addition, it counts words but not characters. I usually paste the file slide by slide into a Word file but this takes too much time, I have had some files with 200 or more text boxes that have to be pasted in one by one (otherwise they do not get counted) - some people use text boxes for one or two characters! Even in Word, I have to paste the text boxes in somehow so they can be included in the count. I would like a simple way, cheap and preferably free, as I can't afford expensive software.Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 09:40
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Werecat Apr 11, 2010

This topic has been discussed at some length before in the forums, so it ight be worth your while doing a search to find thos earlier discussions.

I find Werecat a very useful little tool for extracting text from PPT text boxes (and more importantly, being able to put it back again!) — and it's available free to download.

However, I don't know if it works under Vista (but it's certainly fine under XP).

Karen Stokes
Karen Stokes  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:40
Member (2003)
French to English
Right-click > Properties Apr 11, 2010

I just had a look at a couple of PPT files in Vista and I can still get the statistics by right-clicking on the file name, selecting Properties, then selecting the Details tab and scrolling down to Content. This worked fine with both .ppt and pptx files, each about 6.5K words with lots of text boxes.

Hope this helps.

Karen

Keith Boak
Keith Boak  Identity Verified
Portugal
Portuguese to English
+ ...
I didn't know that... Apr 11, 2010

Karen Stokes wrote:

I just had a look at a couple of PPT files in Vista and I can still get the statistics by right-clicking on the file name, selecting Properties, then selecting the Details tab and scrolling down to Content. This worked fine with both .ppt and pptx files, each about 6.5K words with lots of text boxes.

Hope this helps.

Karen

... thanks Karen!

Karen Stokes
Karen Stokes  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
French to English
You're welcome! Apr 11, 2010

autor wrote:

... thanks Karen!

Katherine Mérignac
Katherine Mérignac  Identity Verified
France
Member (2004)
Word count in pptx Apr 12, 2010

Hi Paul

I eventually found out how to get a word directly count in pptx: click on the office button (top left of the screen) -> Prepare -> Properties -> Document Properties -> Advanced Properties -> Statistics

There is still no character count mind you.

I wasn't aware of that shortcut though Karen, so thanks for that. Slightly disconcerting, however, is the difference in word count between pptx and ppt. If I open a ppt in Vista and look at the word coun
... See more
Hi Paul

I eventually found out how to get a word directly count in pptx: click on the office button (top left of the screen) -> Prepare -> Properties -> Document Properties -> Advanced Properties -> Statistics

There is still no character count mind you.

I wasn't aware of that shortcut though Karen, so thanks for that. Slightly disconcerting, however, is the difference in word count between pptx and ppt. If I open a ppt in Vista and look at the word count (as above), it is higher than if I right click and use Karen's method. For pptx files, it's the same. Can make quoting a little complicated, so it's something to be aware of.

K
Collapse

JoshuaW
JoshuaW
Germany
English to German
+ ...
... thanks! Nov 28, 2012

Helped me just now, so thank you!

Raffi Jamgocyan
Raffi Jamgocyan  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 10:40
Member (2012)
English to Turkish
+ ...
differing results Nov 28, 2012

I'm getting different word count results from 4 different software. When I saw that there is a huge difference in word count results of right clicking in Powerpoint and Trados, I decided to try couple more software. I downloaded the trial version of Total Assistant (shareware) and Finecount (freeware).

The results for the same file are below.

Pptx 5867
Finecount 5919
Total Assistant 6097
Trados 6398

... See more
I'm getting different word count results from 4 different software. When I saw that there is a huge difference in word count results of right clicking in Powerpoint and Trados, I decided to try couple more software. I downloaded the trial version of Total Assistant (shareware) and Finecount (freeware).

The results for the same file are below.

Pptx 5867
Finecount 5919
Total Assistant 6097
Trados 6398

I guess it will be best to rely on Trados, most translator-friendly
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordcount in PowerPoint and with text boxes

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »