Local time: 00:42
Member (2010)
English to French
SITE LOCALIZER
Feb 14, 2016

hello

I am now using Windows 10 and Office / Word 13*

Question 1:

I can't enable the track change mode, Word says there is a restriction (whenever I work on a docx file or a doc file.

I have another (old) family PC with Office/Word 10, the track changes run quite well. However this PC is often used by other family members, so I must solve the problem on the new PC* because now I am loosing some revision opportunities.

Questi
... See more
hello

I am now using Windows 10 and Office / Word 13*

Question 1:

I can't enable the track change mode, Word says there is a restriction (whenever I work on a docx file or a doc file.

I have another (old) family PC with Office/Word 10, the track changes run quite well. However this PC is often used by other family members, so I must solve the problem on the new PC* because now I am loosing some revision opportunities.

Question 2: when delivering a proofreading work, is it mandatory to deliver a file with the track changes? or only the result?

Thanks for your help (:

Madeleine
Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Check with client Feb 14, 2016

Madeleine Chevassus wrote:

Question 2: when delivering a proofreading work, is it mandatory to deliver a file with the track changes? or only the result?

This is something you really have to agree with your client before accepting the job!

Normally, I feel it is more helpful to use track changes, as I assume the client is going to run my corrections by the original translator so they can accept the changes or comment on them.

That said, SOME of my customers have asked me to deliver a 'clean' docuemnt ready for forwarding onto their end client, and do not wnat to have the bother of themselves 'accepting all changes' in the document.

So it's really important to clarify this point before you even start work.

Laura Kingdon
Laura Kingdon  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:42
Member (2015)
French to English
+ ...
Ask the client first Feb 15, 2016

As Tony said, you have to discuss whether or not the client wants changes tracked beforehand. FWIW, my default is to not track them unless we've explicitly agreed that they want tracked changes, and it hasn't yet caused me any problems. Lots of clients don't require it at all.

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Precise questions ... Feb 15, 2016

Madeleine Chevassus wrote:

What means "a restriction"? Please state the error message in verbatim form. Plus the conditions, e.g. is it a newly created doc, an empty doc, a saved doc, a doc from outside, a doc, that has been created under a different user ID, ...

BTW, Google will (probably) show hits for that message.

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
German to French
+ ...
Restriction options Feb 15, 2016

Madeleine Chevassus a écrit :

Hi Madeleine!

For some reasons, at first secrurity, MS Office restricts by default the access to some documents from not "safe" sources, or estimated so. But it could also be the document owner who put such resctrictions.

So you have to see what and why the document is protected (restricted). You can do it the following way :

https://support.office.com/fr-fr/article/Ajouter-ou-retirer-la-protection-de-votre-document-classeur-ou-présentation-05084cc3-300d-4c1a-8416-38d3e37d6826#bk_WordRemove

Should be OK for Word 2013 and 2016 (I think it's the same with 2010, not sure).

when delivering a proofreading work, is it mandatory to deliver a file with the track changes? or only the result?

Nothing "mandatory"... Should be an agreement with the client... Yes or not, it's the client decision, not yours.

Bonne continuation !

Madeleine Chevassus
Madeleine Chevassus  Identity Verified
France
Member (2010)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
the track change cannot open "compatibility mode issue". Feb 19, 2016

hello and sorry for the delay.

I am in Windows 10 and Word 2013

I open a .doc file and choose the revision tab.

Word header says the file is in "compatibility mode"

When mouse on the "suivi des modifications" button (= track changes), a box opens, saying that the fonctionalities are limited, and
MS recommends to create another 100% .doc file.

When I enter the track changes mode, it doesn't work.

Let's forget thi
... See more
hello and sorry for the delay.

I am in Windows 10 and Word 2013

I open a .doc file and choose the revision tab.

Word header says the file is in "compatibility mode"

When mouse on the "suivi des modifications" button (= track changes), a box opens, saying that the fonctionalities are limited, and
MS recommends to create another 100% .doc file.

When I enter the track changes mode, it doesn't work.

Let's forget this case

Same test with a 100% docx file:

The compatibility mode message doesn't appear in Word's header;

However I can't enable the track change mode displaying inserts and deletes.

In fact I did enter the track change mode, showing a red bar in the left margin where I made changes,

but the insert/suppresse characters are not marked. My work is not viisible.

I don't know how to confirm my choice in "afficher les marques" (display the marks);
the four boxes are ticked but this is not taken in account.

I just want to confirm "insert and suppress".

Thank you, Adrien, but it is simpler than a security issue.

How to?

Question 2 (do I need to deliver revisions track changes to the client?)

Of course if it was agreed before. It is better to deliver them for every revision.

Have a nice week-end Madeleine

[Edited at 2016-02-19 21:58 GMT]
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Lucky you! Feb 21, 2016

I'm having to revise a text for publication this weekend, and the Journal insists I use the "Track changes" function, which I absolutely loathe. All those red and blue lines all over the page make it very difficult for me to scan the text. Whenever it's left up to me, I insist on not using Track changes; I tell my clients to use the "Compare documents" option in Word if they want to see changes I've made.

Katherine Rutter
Katherine Rutter
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:42
French to English
I always create the Track Changes version last. Feb 21, 2016

I'm not sure what difference it makes to the customer, but when I do proofreading work, I don't work in Track Changes - I find it too annoying. I create a "Track Changes" file when I have finished, using the Compare function and send that along with the clean copy. It is still possible for the customer to reject changes in the Track Changes file that I created after completing the work.

Stanislav Okhvat
Stanislav Okhvat
Local time: 02:42
English to Russian
Switching to Final mode to hide tracked revisions (Track Changes) Feb 21, 2016

Hello, neilmac,

If you don't like to see tracked revisions in Word and want to hide them (at the same time making sure that any edits are tracked), you can switch to Review tab and select "Final" instead of "Final: Show Markup" from the dropdown list. This needs to be done every time you open this document, since Word will automatically switch to Final: Show Markup mode upon opening the document.

Best regards,
Stanislav

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:42
German to English
Don't need to see markup Feb 21, 2016

neilmac wrote:

I'm having to revise a text for publication this weekend, and the Journal insists I use the "Track changes" function, which I absolutely loathe. All those red and blue lines all over the page make it very difficult for me to scan the text. Whenever it's left up to me, I insist on not using Track changes; I tell my clients to use the "Compare documents" option in Word if they want to see changes I've made.

There's a simple solution to that. Under "track changes" select "Final". The editing marks are no longer visible, only the "final" version of the changed text (and you can make changes there). You can revert back to the marked up version by selecting "Final: Show Markup".

Madeleine Chevassus
France
Member (2010)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
track changes vs compare Feb 21, 2016

using the compare feature is certainly interesting;

however I would definitely be able to use the track change mode under Word 2013
(see initial question);

If someone coud indicate me how..

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
@Stanislav and Kevin Feb 22, 2016

Thanks for the tips, guys

Madeleine Chevassus
France
Member (2010)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Thank you! Feb 22, 2016

Thanks for your help and your tips,

Have a good day (:

Madeleine

By the way, I still don't know how to enable track changes in my personal MS Word 2013 environment (:

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I can't enable Office /Word 13 track change mode

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »