Spell checkers independent from MS Word?
Persoa que publicou o fío: Niina Lahokoski
Niina Lahokoski
Niina Lahokoski  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 23:27
Membro (2008)
English to Finnish
+ ...
Aug 16, 2006

I would be interested to know if there are spell chek programs available that work independently from MS Word, and what languages they cover. Any experiences are welcome.

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:27
German to English
+ ...
Aspell Aug 16, 2006

aspell.sourceforge.net
aspell.sourceforge.net/man-html/Supported.html

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:27
English to Spanish
OpenOffice dictionaries Aug 16, 2006

Niina Lahokoski wrote:

I would be interested to know if there are spell chek programs available that work independently from MS Word, and what languages they cover. Any experiences are welcome.

Hi Niina,

OpenOffice has a very intersting set of dictionaries. The list of dictionaries is available at http://ftp.services.openoffice.org/pub/OpenOffice.org/contrib/dictionaries/available.lst

You can use the dictionaries directly in OpenOffice, in CAT tools that support them or with dedicated standalone spellcheckers, like XML-Intl Spellchecker (see http://www.xml-intl.com/web/guest/products/spellchecker )

Best regards,
Rodolfo

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 22:27
Membro (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Spell-checkers for what? Aug 16, 2006

Niina Lahokoski wrote:
I would be interested to know if there are spell check programs available that work independently from MS Word, and what languages they cover.

There are scores of spell-checkers, often in several languages. A simple Google search of "spellchecker+yourlanguage" should reveal some (also try other words like "spelling checker", "spell-checker", "spell-checking", "spellchecking", etc, and add words like "download" or "freeware" of GPL" to tweak results).

Since Finnish is your language, I think the easiest would be MySpell, but MySpell doesn't have a standalone version. The MySpell word list for Finnish contains 1.8 million words (there is a smaller version with 700 000 words, for slower computers, and a larger version with 6.6 million words, for super computers).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spell checkers independent from MS Word?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »