German spellchecker for English Office 2003?
Persoa que publicou o fío: Caro Maucher
Caro Maucher
Caro Maucher  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:17
Membro (2005)
English to German
+ ...
Feb 6, 2007

I've been using an English version of Office 2003 for a while now and I recently noticed that my problems with the spelling check are due to the fact that this version doesn't have a German spellchecker. Never had. Imagine my surprise.
So far, the only solution I found was the complete spellchecker tool with over 50 languages - but I don't want 50 languages and I don't want to pay for 50 languages when I only need German.
This morning I went to the shop to find out whether the prob
... See more
I've been using an English version of Office 2003 for a while now and I recently noticed that my problems with the spelling check are due to the fact that this version doesn't have a German spellchecker. Never had. Imagine my surprise.
So far, the only solution I found was the complete spellchecker tool with over 50 languages - but I don't want 50 languages and I don't want to pay for 50 languages when I only need German.
This morning I went to the shop to find out whether the problem could be solved by an upgrade to a German Office 2007, but the answer was "niet". However, the man in shop said that on the Office website, there ought to be a tool for a German-only spellchecker. I've searched and searched but I can't find anything that fits the description.
Does anybody know how to deal with this? How do all you translators in English-speaking countries do it?
Thanks!

[Bearbeitet am 2007-02-06 12:02]
Collapse

nordiste
nordiste  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Built in in Office 2003 AFAIK Feb 6, 2007

I use the French version of Office 2003 and I have an English and a German spellchecker built in.

You have to install them from the original office CD, it does not install automatically with the normal default options.

It even has an automatic detection of language feature, which means that the software recognise if I am dealing with a French or an English document ad switch rhe spellchecker accordingly. However, this doesn't works really well with bilingual files
... See more
I use the French version of Office 2003 and I have an English and a German spellchecker built in.

You have to install them from the original office CD, it does not install automatically with the normal default options.

It even has an automatic detection of language feature, which means that the software recognise if I am dealing with a French or an English document ad switch rhe spellchecker accordingly. However, this doesn't works really well with bilingual files.
Collapse

Kevin Harper
Kevin Harper  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:17
German to English
+ ...
Proofing Tools Feb 6, 2007

With an English version of Office 2003, you get English, Spanish and French spellcheckers.

You will need a copy of Proofing Tools 2003 to spellcheck in German (and a host of other languages).

Karin R
Karin R  Identity Verified
Membro (2006)
Spanish to German
+ ...
german spellchecker Feb 6, 2007

another posibilty is to buy a spellchecker version of the Duden (20 - 30 Euros) and install it in your PC, it works without MS german spellchecker in your Office.

LG Karin

Caro Maucher
Caro Maucher  Identity Verified
Germany
Membro (2005)
English to German
+ ...
INICIO DE TEMA
Duden Feb 6, 2007

Dear Karin, I reckon I'll go for the Duden version then. Thanks, it's a great idea and a lot cheaper (and probably better) than than the Microsoft Proofing Tools!

By the way, I've also found something on the Microsoft page which they call MUI pack (MultiLanguage User Interface) and which also includes spell checkers, but that's only available with multi-user licences... )c:

But I'd still be interested in other possibilities (if there are any)!

Dear Nordist
... See more
Dear Karin, I reckon I'll go for the Duden version then. Thanks, it's a great idea and a lot cheaper (and probably better) than than the Microsoft Proofing Tools!

By the way, I've also found something on the Microsoft page which they call MUI pack (MultiLanguage User Interface) and which also includes spell checkers, but that's only available with multi-user licences... )c:

But I'd still be interested in other possibilities (if there are any)!

Dear Nordiste, Kevin is right, there's no German spellchecker in the English version, though there is in the French version.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

German spellchecker for English Office 2003?

Pastey
Your smart companion app

Pastey is an innovative desktop application that bridges the gap between human expertise and artificial intelligence. With intuitive keyboard shortcuts, Pastey transforms your source text into AI-powered draft translations.

Find out more »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »