Outlook Express Backup
Persoa que publicou o fío: similia_poz
similia_poz
similia_poz
English
Apr 2, 2007

I want to reinstall Windows Xp soon, as I got a virus and after cleaning the computer doesn't work as smooth as before. I gives some strange erros and sometimes it justs hangs up... I want to backup Outlook Express emails and settings before reinstall, and restore afterwards. Any help?

Henrik Pipoyan
Henrik Pipoyan  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:18
Membro (2004)
English to Armenian
Hi Apr 2, 2007

I don’t know exactly how you can backup the settings, but the messages, including the personalized directory structure, etc., you can backup. Go to Tools > Options > Maintenance and hit the “Store Folder” button. It will show you the path to the folder where you messages are saved. You can save that folder to a disk and reinstall you system. Then you can just copy it back to the same location.

BTW, you can also specify where you want Outlook to save your messages in future. Fo
... See more
I don’t know exactly how you can backup the settings, but the messages, including the personalized directory structure, etc., you can backup. Go to Tools > Options > Maintenance and hit the “Store Folder” button. It will show you the path to the folder where you messages are saved. You can save that folder to a disk and reinstall you system. Then you can just copy it back to the same location.

BTW, you can also specify where you want Outlook to save your messages in future. For example you can create a Mailbox folder in My Documents and tell Outlook to save all the messages there. That way it will be easier for you to regularly backup your messages.

As for the Address Book, you can just export it to a spreadsheet file, like Excel, and then import it back.

I hope this helps.

Henry
Collapse

Barbara Wiegel
Barbara Wiegel  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:18
English to German
+ ...
OE Backup Apr 2, 2007

I use OE Backup (www.oebackup.de) - the website is, unfortunately, in German.
It's a shareware program and costs 10 EUR but I find it an invaluable tool. It backs up your Outlook Express (including all folders, subfolders, subsubfolders etc., address bock), saves your IE and Firefox Bookmarks and has a number of other valuable features. You can also back up only part of your mailbox or leave out the browser
... See more
I use OE Backup (www.oebackup.de) - the website is, unfortunately, in German.
It's a shareware program and costs 10 EUR but I find it an invaluable tool. It backs up your Outlook Express (including all folders, subfolders, subsubfolders etc., address bock), saves your IE and Firefox Bookmarks and has a number of other valuable features. You can also back up only part of your mailbox or leave out the browser favorites, whatever you prefer.
Also, you can create templates of your preferred settings so that when you do a backup the next time you need not specify again what to save and what not.
If you work with different identities in Outlook Express (I do - my husband has one, I have one, then we have a "joint" one), it creates backups for all the identities separately. When we bought a new PC recently, we just imported the 3 different backup files into the "empty" Outlook Express and had our 3 identities simultaneously restored, with the 3 address books and every single e-mail message in them - a complete mirror image of the "old" Outlook Express on the old PC.

Best,
Barbara
Collapse

Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Good one Apr 2, 2007

I will definitely give this one a try. Thanks Barbara!

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:18
Italian to German
+ ...
This is great, Barbara! Apr 3, 2007

I used to do this manually before and after a reinstallation of Windows, and although it is not difficult, it is a rather fiddly job.

Furthermore, this tool makes a regular backup of OE. Last year, I lost all of a sudden several months of my incoming mails which I had not backed up...

I am gladly willing to pay 10 € in order to avoid these problems in the future and simplify any future reformating of
... See more
I used to do this manually before and after a reinstallation of Windows, and although it is not difficult, it is a rather fiddly job.

Furthermore, this tool makes a regular backup of OE. Last year, I lost all of a sudden several months of my incoming mails which I had not backed up...

I am gladly willing to pay 10 € in order to avoid these problems in the future and simplify any future reformating of my PC.

Good luck to similia_poz!

[Bearbeitet am 2007-04-03 20:18]
Collapse

similia_poz
similia_poz
English
INICIO DE TEMA
Thank you for help. Apr 4, 2007

Thank you all for your suggestions. I found a perfect solution to keep my emails safe.
http://www.bodrag.com/outlook-express-backup.html

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Outlook Express Backup

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »