Persoa que publicou o fío: Johanna Timm, PhD
Johanna Timm, PhD
Johanna Timm, PhD  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:17
English to German
+ ...
Aug 29, 2007

I am supposed to work on an couple of ppt files today and found that I can't access the program. When I want to open PPT, I get the following message:

"This Powerpoint patch could not be opened. Please verify that the powerpoint patch exists and that you can access it, or contact a vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer patch package"

No idea what patch they are talking about!!

Ppt is part of my MS Office 2000 package. I'm working the Windo
... See more
I am supposed to work on an couple of ppt files today and found that I can't access the program. When I want to open PPT, I get the following message:

"This Powerpoint patch could not be opened. Please verify that the powerpoint patch exists and that you can access it, or contact a vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer patch package"

No idea what patch they are talking about!!

Ppt is part of my MS Office 2000 package. I'm working the Windows XP.

So far I have:
- rebooted
- tried various access methods (clicking the shortcut icon, opening via Word
- checked and confirmed that I have all critical windows updates
-checked with my friendly neighbourhood computer guys who suggested a Google search for "Powerpoint does not open" ( no luck with that)

Any ideas/suggestions will be gratefully received.

johanna
Collapse

Nikolaus Halter
Nikolaus Halter  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:17
English to German
+ ...
Enter your windows license number Aug 29, 2007

At least, I think that's what it's called. It's 16 digits long and you can probably find it on the Windows disc or the package it came in. You can try that, although I have no idea why this would suddenly pop up for no reason.

Nick

Johanna Timm, PhD
Canada
English to German
+ ...
INICIO DE TEMA
no prompt for numbers Aug 29, 2007

Thanks for that Nikolaus- but I'm not being prompted to enter a number. The message I quoted pops up with a cheerful 'ding' sound, leaving me with 2 options: click the X or click OK; in both cases, the box disappears and I'm back to where I started

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:17
Membro (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Are you sure those PPT fles are for PPT 2000? Aug 29, 2007

We have already Office 2007 on the market, so your PPT files may also be Office XP, Office 2003 or Office 2007. It is quite obvious, that you may possibly not be able to open PPT 2003 in Office 2000.
Do you by any chance have OpenOffice? The latest version will almost certain be able to open PPT 2003.
Otherwise you can download it from OpenOffice homepage or send me a file for testiing. You should have my email already.

Best regards
Jerzy

Johanna Timm, PhD
Canada
English to German
+ ...
INICIO DE TEMA
Same message for OpenOffice Aug 29, 2007

...Jerzy, when I go to OpenOffice I get the same cryptic "patch" message !

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Membro (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Check then if PPT are not 2007 Aug 29, 2007

Go to Microsoft home page and download Powerpoint viewer for PPT 2007.
Here is the link for Powerpoint viewer 2007.

Should this not work, than the ppt files are damaged IMHO.

Jerzy

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Membro (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Ups, I'm afraid the problem is of a different kind... Aug 29, 2007

You may need a patch for your Office. The latest service pack for Office 2000 was SP3, and you can download it here, should you not already have it installed.
I do not remember, if Office 2000 had a link to download updates for it, but you can go here, should you not already have it installed.
I do not remember, if Office 2000 had a link to download updates for it, but you can go here to check, if your Office installation has all bells&whistles MS released for it.
Installing patches for Office is IMHO quite important, as MS continued to release significant improvements with each SP for Office versions.

Jerzy
Collapse

Johanna Timm, PhD
Canada
English to German
+ ...
INICIO DE TEMA
I downloaded PPT viewer... Aug 30, 2007

..and I can now "view" the files - but not overwrite/edit them!
But don't worry about me Jerzy, get some sleep!! This has time until tomorrow.
Thanks again for your generous support.
j

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Membro (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
This is a viewer software, so it was clear you cannot overwrite anything with it, but... Aug 30, 2007

so we could localize the problem.
It is either that the files are PPT 2007 or your Office installation is outdated.
Please check with Office update site, if you need any patches for it. Please do so, as the support for Office 2000 may be discontinued shortly and installing all patches for it will ensure you keeping it "alive" for longer.
Should you have all bells&whistles for O2k
... See more
so we could localize the problem.
It is either that the files are PPT 2007 or your Office installation is outdated.
Please check with Office update site, if you need any patches for it. Please do so, as the support for Office 2000 may be discontinued shortly and installing all patches for it will ensure you keeping it "alive" for longer.
Should you have all bells&whistles for O2k installed, this page may be your solution. This is a format converter for older Office versions.

I have still some work to do, so I cannot simply say good N8

Jerzy
Collapse

Johanna Timm, PhD
Canada
English to German
+ ...
INICIO DE TEMA
still not working Aug 30, 2007

SPK 3 installed, compatibility thingies downloaded and installed, system rebooted - I'm still getting the same error message.

The PPT files I received from my client (on a CD) are ok, BTW; in the meantime, I managed to open and actually work on them by using my son's computer. Luckily, his PPT is working just fine, so there isn't any immediate panic.

But it would be really nice if I could get PPT to wor
... See more
SPK 3 installed, compatibility thingies downloaded and installed, system rebooted - I'm still getting the same error message.

The PPT files I received from my client (on a CD) are ok, BTW; in the meantime, I managed to open and actually work on them by using my son's computer. Luckily, his PPT is working just fine, so there isn't any immediate panic.

But it would be really nice if I could get PPT to work for me again, eventually!! Right now, my computer doesn't even allow me to open any of my OLD ppt files. The screen stubbornly tells me that those patches cannot be opened.

I'm now wondering if there's a way to uninstall the (defective? corrupted?) PPT application and reinstall it from my Office CD, or copy it from my son's computer to a CD and then to my system?

j
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Membro (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Windows Installer Aug 30, 2007

Johanna Timm, PhD wrote:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/229683

Do you have the latest version of Windows Installer?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Installer

At the bottom of the wiki article are two links... one for Vista and one for XP. Install it and see what happens.

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Membro (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Upgrading to Office 2003 an option? Aug 30, 2007

In my personal experience is Office 2003 the best compromise between modern and stable software.

Jerzy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Powerpoint does not open

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »