Persoa que publicou o fío: Judy Almodovar
Judy Almodovar
Judy Almodovar
Italy
Local time: 00:15
English to Tagalog
+ ...
Sep 14, 2007

I receive a new translation document in pdf form, I can't open it, any advise please.
But it is just last week that I also received a translation job in pdf form files and I've open it and have had completed my translation job without encountering this present problem.

Daniel Šebesta
Daniel Šebesta  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Membro (2007)
English to Czech
+ ...
Adobe Reader 8 Sep 14, 2007

I receive a new translation document in pdf form, I can't open it

Judy,

While creating a PDF file with the new Adobe Acrobat you can somehow define that the PDF file can be opened only using the latest version of the Adobe Reader (number 8). I don't have personal experience of creating such a file, but lately I also received a file which could be opened only in Adobe Reader 8.

Try downloading and installing the latest version of Adobe Reader. You can do so from this page: http://www.adobe.com/products/reader/

HTH,

Daniel

[Edited at 2007-09-15 16:13]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Membro (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Check the file size Sep 14, 2007

Judy E. Almodovar wrote:
I receive a new translation document in pdf form, I can't open it, any advise please.

One of my clients regularly send me PDFs that I can't download from Gmail -- I always get zero file size (but if I view the HTML, I can actually see the content). So check the file size to see if it is zero.

Or, e-mail the file to yourself using Gmail and view the HTML preview (if the content is text and not graphics).

Melzie
Melzie
French to English
+ ...
it happened to me today Sep 15, 2007

but I knew what to expect.

I was an automatic update page in the background. If this is the case, reduce all your windows then do with the up date as you will, I don't every time, then your file will open. probably as many times as you have already tried to open it! ;-

best of luck

Ramon Somoza
Ramon Somoza  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to Spanish
+ ...
Last possibility Sep 15, 2007

Check also that the name of the file does not contain "funny" characters (try to modify the name and you will see it). Windows sometimes has problems when there are non-ASCII characters in the names (like those used for Asian languages), I had that once with a Korean file...

[Editado a las 2007-09-15 17:58]

Judy Almodovar
Judy Almodovar
Italy
English to Tagalog
+ ...
INICIO DE TEMA
Thank you! Sep 15, 2007

Daniel Šebesta wrote:

I receive a new translation document in pdf form, I can't open it

Judy,

While creating a PDF file with the new Adobe Acrobat you can somehow define that the PDF file can be opened only using the latest version of the Adobe Reader (number 8). I don't have personal experience of creating such a file, but lately I also received a file which could be opened only in Adobe Reader 8.

Try downloading and installing the latest version of Adobe Reader. You can do so from this page: http://www.adobe.com/products/reader/

HTH,

Daniel

[Edited at 2007-09-15 16:13]

Thank you for the idea and sorry for my late response, I finally open the PDF file with the new installed Adobe Reader (number 8) from the link that you given but I wonder why because I also have the same Adobe Reader version before, anyway I have had remove the first one and now using the new one(although its the same).

Judy Almodovar
Judy Almodovar
Italy
English to Tagalog
+ ...
INICIO DE TEMA
Thanks! Sep 15, 2007

Samuel Murray wrote:

Judy E. Almodovar wrote:

One of my clients regularly send me PDFs that I can't download from Gmail -- I always get zero file size (but if I view the HTML, I can actually see the content). So check the file size to see if it is zero.

Or, e-mail the file to yourself using Gmail and view the HTML preview (if the content is text and not graphics).

Thanks Samuel for your advise, I also try your suggestion because at first when I was trying to open the pdf file with another form before, I don't see any content of the document but only the pages appeared with blank sheets. But the problem was I have to change or have an updated Adobe Reader (8). Thanks again.

Judy Almodovar
Judy Almodovar
Italy
English to Tagalog
+ ...
INICIO DE TEMA
Thanks for the idea and concern. Sep 15, 2007

Ramon Somoza wrote:

Check also that the name of the file does not contain "funny" characters (try to modify the name and you will see it). Windows sometimes has problems when there are non-ASCII characters in the names (like those used for Asian languages), I had that once with a Korean file...

[Editado a las 2007-09-15 17:58]

Thanks for the idea and concern, but the document was not in Asian language it is in Spanish language Legal documents.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

pdf files can't open

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »